PDA

View Full Version : Yet another shop furniture build

Ben Ellenberger
02-07-2023, 9:49 PM
I was going to wait until this was done before posting, but I’m getting excited so I figured I’d post progress so far. I told myself I would not get any more tools until I had a better storage solution figured out, so I’m building a little chest to go under my bench. It is a simple thing to keep small layout/shaping tools with one big drawer to hold my #7 and a couple other things that don’t fit nicely in my wall cabinet. It is mostly oak, with soft maple for secondary wood. I used some pine for the back panel.

it takes up about a 20x20 footprint. I glued up the panels a few years ago, then stuck them in a corner until I got motivated around Christmas to start back up on this. I have an 18” ruler for my combination square, but it was still finicky getting the panels squared. With their size, it didn’t take much error to have a noticeable deviation across the width of the panel.

After gluing up the carcass I spent some extra time getting the interior surfaces the drawers would slide on true. Derek’s build blog has a nice write-up on this, and it made a huge difference when fitting the drawers.

I’ve got a little cleaning up to do on the carcass and the drawers, then I have to finish making and fitting the drawer pulls. I’m planning to put a couple coats of shellac on this for finish. I may make a few trays, but I’m not planning to do much fitting out of the drawers right away. I’ll use it for a bit first to decide what arrangement works best for me.

Jim Koepke
02-08-2023, 12:37 AM
Looks great Ben.

If you ever feel a need to keep the files separated you might try a simple divider.

A few variations of this have been used in my storage drawers and boxes.

jtk

Ben Ellenberger
02-08-2023, 10:42 AM
Thanks! My files/rasps are currently separated by a paper bag in a small drawer, and were one of the main drivers of this project. I might use your design for their new home.

Peter Schussheim
02-08-2023, 1:24 PM
Ben, really nice work on this cabinet. I might build something similar to store my planes as an alternative to a traditional tool chest.

Christopher Charles
02-08-2023, 3:15 PM
Looks great Ben. I made a similar chest for under my bench but it was co-opted for the house. Glad to hear you can buy more tools soon :)

Best,
Chris

Jim Koepke
02-08-2023, 3:26 PM
Thanks! My files/rasps are currently separated by a paper bag in a small drawer, and were one of the main drivers of this project. I might use your design for their new home.

Some of my best files have their own drawer.

Many files are kept in their original boxes.

One of these days a better system may be made for the other few dozen files in the shop.

jtk

Cameron Wood
02-08-2023, 3:38 PM
Very nice.

This was one of those ten minute projects that was apparently good enough to be in use 40 years later- 2x4 with some kerfs.

Joel Gelman
02-08-2023, 6:17 PM
Just curious, on the first photo of the workbench towards the left, I see what may be chisels stored where you can only see the handle. I have 1 of my 2 benches against the wall, and it would not be hard to bring it out a couple of inches to place a strip between the wall and the bench with holes etc. to allow chisels to be stored. However, it seems like I am best served by being able to see the entire tool before reaching for it.

Ben Ellenberger
02-08-2023, 9:53 PM
Joel, I have my chisels arranged by size, so I’ve learned which one to grab. I really like having my chisels hanging on the back of my bench and immediately available. I also have a rack to the right of them that is normally empty, but has space to temporarily hang a combination square or back saw while I’m in the middle of a project.

Jim Koepke
02-09-2023, 2:50 AM
However, it seems like I am best served by being able to see the entire tool before reaching for it.

I have my chisels arranged by size, so I’ve learned which one to grab.

There are many ways to build a tray or rack across the backside of a bench to keep often used tools close at hand.

Keeping them in order, like Ben, is an important aspect of keeping tools convenient.

jtk

Ben Ellenberger
02-11-2023, 4:47 PM
I’m happy with how this came out. The drawers fit and move really well. I think it will serve the purpose I intended for it.

The overall fit and finish is pretty good for my standards. If this was something for inside the house I’d spend some more time cleaning up a few places on the case and I’d probably fix a few defects in the dovetails. Since it is for the shop I think I’m calling this done.

I still need to put finish on it and wax the runners. I’ll get some drawer liner material for right now and probably make a simple rack for files soon (thanks for the ideas!). Long term I’ll probably make a few lift out trays categories of tools, both to keep them organized and so I’m not constantly going in and out of the drawers as I’m working on projects.

Mel Fulks
02-11-2023, 5:05 PM
Well done, Ben. And just the right style. Too much elegance in tool box design usually means your wife will find it just right for her !
And you will have to make another one. I like your drawer arrangement, best board on top, ugliest board on bottom is correct !

Ben Ellenberger
02-11-2023, 5:37 PM
Exactly :) That bottom drawer face was just the end of my wide-enough board. I was not about to cut off waste just to get prettier grain.

Derek Cohen
02-11-2023, 8:06 PM
That is very nicely done, Ben. Are you planning to build dividers inside the drawers? Photos of this would be just as interesting as a case build itself.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ben Ellenberger
02-11-2023, 9:57 PM
Thanks! For right now I’ve just put things in loose. I’m planning to use it for a bit before deciding exactly how I want to organize it. Although, I just made a real quick and dirty stand for my files/rasps, and I can already tell I’ll like it.