PDA

View Full Version : 4? 5 1/2?

James Jayko
02-07-2023, 2:17 PM
Hey all,

I've got a Lie Nielsen 4 1/2, and a Lie Nielsen 5. Not sure why I didn't get both 1/2's or both non, but this is what I've got.

I built a tool box last year and TLDR: if the two planes were the same width, that would be convenient.

Would you get a 5 1/2 to compliment the 4 1/2? 4 to compliment the 5? Why? Both work great; I've heard the argument about extra mass in the 5 1/2 helping it get through cuts, but I'm also working out of a toolbox so I don't hate the idea of saving some weight, given that the 5 has been an industry standard forever.

Thoughts?

Ben Ellenberger
02-07-2023, 3:46 PM
For both 4’s and 5’s I appreciate lighter planes. I don’t think weight helps if they are sharp. Based on that, I’d lean toward the narrower ones.

Now, I’ve never had a 4 1/2 or 5 1/2, so maybe I don’t know what I’m missing, but I’ve never found myself wishing I had a wider plane.

ls there anything about using the 4 1/2 that you particularly like?

Jim Koepke
02-07-2023, 4:12 PM
James, imo the decision is based on a few considerations. The size or type of work you plan on doing and your own hand size.

Large hands or larger panels and projects may progress more comfortably with the larger planes.

There isn't much difference between a #5-1/2 and a #6. My #6 gets used more often than the #5-1/2.

My suggestions on plane sizes are often based on the size of the person combined with the size of the projects.

Small size person and projects: #3, #5-1/4 & a #6 or #7.

Medium size person and projects: #4, #5 & a #7.

Large size person and projects: #4-1/2, #5-1/2 & a #8.

This is of course a very simple way of looking at the factors involved.

jtk

Greg Parrish
02-07-2023, 4:23 PM
Just go ahead and buy one of each size from LN and see which ones you like and don't like. Then sell the excess ones here on the forum. I'm kidding of course but we do need another good round of LN cleansing over in the classified section. The last round from November and December seems to have slowed and dried up. LOL :)

Jason Buresh
02-07-2023, 4:25 PM
I have a 4 and 5, and also a 4-1/2, 5-1/2, and 5-1/4.

To be honest my 4 and 5 get used much more than the fraction versions, but I guess as with everything it comes down to personal preference and what kind of projects you work on.

If you are doing lots of work on big, wide, thick boards the extra width from the 4-1/2 and length on the 5-1/2 is nice.

If you work smaller projects or thinner stock then the narrower 4 and 5 are a better choice in my opinion.

Or if you are looking for a longer sole for more jointing capability without a jointer plane the extra sole length from a 5-1/2 can help.

I guess it all depends on what you needs are.

Rob Luter
02-07-2023, 4:41 PM
I have a Stanley #3 and LN #4, #4 1/2, and #5. I could get by with the #3, #4 and #5, or just the #4 and #5. The #3 is dedicated to small stuff and the #4 1/2 dedicated to wispy light smoothing cuts. The #4 and #5 do most of the work.

Graham Haydon
02-08-2023, 3:31 AM
Hi James

History shows the No.4 to be perhaps the most ubiquitous plane ever. It's unlikely you will be disappointed. Unless that is you are completely satisfied with the No. 4 1/2

I find the No.5 1/2 very versatile. In contrast to the No.5, it's extra mass works well on the shooting board and the width expands the width at which match planing can be done.

I suppose that's the thing, have you hit a limit with your planes based on your work?

steven c newman
02-08-2023, 7:51 AM
I have..and USE the following planes....#3(No.8) #4 ( No.9)#4-1/2c....#5 ( No. 14) #5-1/4( No.11) #5-1/2( No. 15) #6c, #7c, and a #8c....based solely on the size of the job being done, and how tired my back and arms are feeling that day....

Those planes in the ( ) are the Millers Falls versions. The rest are Stanleys, all the planes I use still have their original irons and chipbreakers, BTW.

Adam AR Brown
02-08-2023, 2:58 PM
I have a #4, #4-1/2, #5 and #6. It would be tough to give any one up. The #4 is great for smaller pieces, but I reach for the #4-1/2 when I have to surface a larger or wider board.

I guess the #4-1/2 feels like a bonus, and if I was working from a portable toolbox I would leave that behind.

Brian Cargnelli
02-08-2023, 11:00 PM
I’ve got LN 41/2 and 51/2. Use both. But I also have type 11 Stanley 4 & 5 which I use for different tasks. I like the 4 for quick chamfers/round overs and using in pine. I use the 5 for various thickness jigs. I set the 41/2 as a fine smoother and the 51/2 for all around jack use. I’ve also got a Veritas 6 that I’ve set up with a heavy camber for major stock removal. Having different planes available and set up for specific tasks is a luxury but really handy too. If I had to choose though, LN 51/2.

Tony Wilkins
02-08-2023, 11:44 PM
I’ve got LN 41/2 and 51/2. Use both. But I also have type 11 Stanley 4 & 5 which I use for different tasks. I like the 4 for quick chamfers/round overs and using in pine. I use the 5 for various thickness jigs. I set the 41/2 as a fine smoother and the 51/2 for all around jack use. I’ve also got a Veritas 6 that I’ve set up with a heavy camber for major stock removal. Having different planes available and set up for specific tasks is a luxury but really handy too. If I had to choose thought LN 51/2.

Slightly off topic, do you like the #6 for heavy stock removal?

James Jayko
02-09-2023, 1:55 PM
I have a #4, #4-1/2, #5 and #6. It would be tough to give any one up. The #4 is great for smaller pieces, but I reach for the #4-1/2 when I have to surface a larger or wider board.

I guess the #4-1/2 feels like a bonus, and if I was working from a portable toolbox I would leave that behind.

Yeah, I have an old Stanley 4C with a Hock iron and I like it. But when I use that around the time I use the LN 4 1/2 I realize just how much better these products got with 100 years development in manufacturing and metallurgy. Was doing surface prep on a project last night with the 4 1/2 and I'm not gonna lie, that thing is a joy.

The 4C is great, but it's no LN.

Assaf Oppenheimer
02-19-2023, 9:11 AM
I have Lie Nielsen no. 4 and no. 8 planes. When not unwieldy (to small projects or thin edges), the no. 8 is by far my favorite plane. I try to take medium thickness wide shavings with it. I use a fantasticly restored stanly no. 5 (shoutout to James Spangler). With an 8 inch chamfer to hog off material for jack work. I wouldnt want to go both wide and deep with the same plane. I dont have a no. 5-1/2 but if i did it would probably be a super smoother or a small parts jointer. Depends on how you work?

Jason White
02-19-2023, 7:51 PM
My Veritas low-angle jack is the same size as a Veritas 5-1/2, so I sold my 5-1/2 and spent the money on a couple extra blades.