PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Table Saw Hold-downs / Clamps

Brian W Evans
02-04-2023, 10:40 AM
Recently I got my local Woodcraft's circular in the mail and I saw this:

I really don't like the slider clamps that came with my Minimax SC-4, so I bought a couple. They are far superior to the Minimax clamps, IMHO, and very nice quality for the price. They come with a variety of pieces for various sizes of T-track, from standard 7/16" (1/4-20 heads) to 1 1/8", which is what I need for my sliding table. I especially like the adjustment crank at the back.

I have seen homemade versions of this on Sawmill Creek, but never a commercial product. I'm very excited to have found this!

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Z74DR5P

Kyle Stiefel
02-04-2023, 11:14 AM
These are great bang for the buck, I have a couple. The only downside is the lack of autoadjust but you get the great pricepoint.

Their bases are nice and can be used on the more expensive Kreg autoadjust if desired or utilized around the shop for jigs etc.

Brian W Evans
02-04-2023, 11:25 AM
These are great bang for the buck, I have a couple. The only downside is the lack of autoadjust but you get the great pricepoint.

Their bases are nice and can be used on the more expensive Kreg autoadjust if desired or utilized around the shop for jigs etc.

Yup. These are about 1/2 the price of the Kreg autoadjust. I find the autoadjust is hit or miss and I actually don't like it. I would rather have the crank.

I hadn't thought about using them in a jig but the extra base pieces would definitely make that easy. Guess I will be getting a couple more.

Frank Martin
02-04-2023, 12:13 PM
This looks great but wish it had the Kreg auto adjust feature. I have several Kreg clamps, they even replaced my Veritas hold downs using base adaptors to make them work in 3/4” bench dogs. I wonder if all the hardware (minus the clamp itself) would work with Kreg clamps and available separately…

Kyle Stiefel
02-04-2023, 1:28 PM
I do believe it is compatible as I have seen others say it did work. Although I can't verity with 100% certainty as I don't have the Kreg clamp.

This looks great but wish it had the Kreg auto adjust feature. I have several Kreg clamps, they even replaced my Veritas hold downs using base adaptors to make them work in 3/4” bench dogs. I wonder if all the hardware (minus the clamp itself) would work with Kreg clamps and available separately…

Brian W Evans
02-04-2023, 1:31 PM

i just checked - the screw on the base of the Kreg Automaxx clamps and these Milescraft clamps are the same size and thread pitch. Maybe contact Milescraft and see if they would offer just the base and other pieces without the clamp? I would buy a couple of sets.

Kyle Stiefel
02-04-2023, 1:38 PM
They, do, here is a link, 10 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KYBY6PN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i just checked - the screw on the base of the Kreg Automaxx clamps and these Milescraft clamps are the same size and thread pitch. Maybe contact Milescraft and see if they would offer just the base and other pieces without the clamp? I would buy a couple of sets.

Brian W Evans
02-04-2023, 5:47 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KYBY6PN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great! Thanks!

I see they also have a smaller clamp (3" vs 6") as well.

Frank Martin
02-04-2023, 5:57 PM

That’s great. Thanks for the link. Ordered one.

Jim Becker
02-04-2023, 8:05 PM
I have a couple of the Kreg clamps and will have to see what I can do to adapt them for use on the slider wagon. I don't mind the cam clamps in a huge way, but do like the auto-adjusting clamp feature of the Kreg clamps I have. (they came in the boxes with the two Kreg horses I bought)

Tom Bain
02-04-2023, 8:25 PM
Does anyone know if they fit Felder sliding table slot?

Aaron Inami
02-04-2023, 10:06 PM
Yup. Kyle turned me onto these as well. The Milescraft base kit come with a large T-Slot insert and it fits the Felder K700 tables perfectly.

Now only if we could find a miter gauge that fit the Felder X-roll table.

Bryan Hall
02-05-2023, 12:12 AM
I find the autoadjust is hit or miss and I actually don't like it.

Agreed. Maybe I've just never had a functional set but I never use my kreg autoadjust clamps since they are so terribly unreliable.

Jim Becker
02-05-2023, 9:25 AM
Does anyone know if they fit Felder sliding table slot?

Adapting to a specific slot size isn't that hard...I made sticks of material out of oak that precisely fit the tee slot in my SCM/Minimax wagon so I could use hold-downs and fixtures attached to the wagon. Someone more skilled with metal than me could do the same with aluminum or steel.

Kyle Stiefel
02-05-2023, 9:43 AM
I did as Jim mentioned. I had my old well loved Incra that I had on my trusty Griz. I plowed a new slot through and secured on a piece on a scrap. I am as fond of the Incra as the day I got it I think about 20 yrs ago.

On a side note I honestly still prefer to rip thin strips on a traditional TS which I don't have, so sad

Brian W Evans
02-06-2023, 5:08 AM
Adapting to a specific slot size isn't that hard...I made sticks of material out of oak that precisely fit the tee slot in my SCM/Minimax wagon so I could use hold-downs and fixtures attached to the wagon. Someone more skilled with metal than me could do the same with aluminum or steel.

I agree with this, but I would prefer metal for clamps. The upward pressure on whatever is holding the clamp and the need to move it around easily make metal the better choice for clamping.

However, I am in the process of making another Fritz und Franz jig, this time with aluminum runners for the slot. My wagon's slot was close enough to 5/8" that I ordered square aluminum bar in that size and sanded it down to a perfect fit. A couple of tapped holes will attach the runners to the jig. Not hard at all and no expansion or contraction to mess with the fit.

Rob Sack
02-07-2023, 6:53 PM
Just ordered one from Amazon. Unfortunately, out of the four "hold down bolts" provided, the one that I needed has bad threads. Called Milescraft. No live body, just voicemail. The website offers the opportunity to contact them by email with a promise of a response within 48 hours. I guess I could just return it to Amazon and order another one, but that seems like such a waste. All I need is one bolt. If the company doesn't respond by tomorrow, I will go the Amazon return/re-order route. Buyer be ware.

Michael Burnside
02-07-2023, 7:04 PM
These look great and wow, great price. Plus they have miter slot options. I have 6 of the Kreg automaxx clamps (4 3" and 2 6") and they are in my main workflow. I don't know what I'd do without them. I also have a 6 foot piece of 1545 aluminum extrusion on the front of my bench where I can use these to clamp the workpiece vertically against the extrusion or horizontally allowing the piece to project off my bench a little ways. Using these for domino, routing, edge-banding or a 3rd or 4th hand is great.

Chris Parks
02-08-2023, 5:31 PM
Sam Blasco shows how clamps can move when they are locked down on one of his videos. I solved that problem by never having seen the need for clamps apart from as F&F jig which is a great clamp. My view may change if I was working on a panel saw and not a short stroke slider as some here may be doing or I was using fixed jigs which I haven't done either so horses for courses.

Joel Gelman
02-08-2023, 5:51 PM
https://mac-campshure.squarespace.com

Expensive, but buyer's remorse is zero, and many would consider the safety aspect associated with their use to be justification for having these. You can read a lot of rave reviews on the Felder Owner's Group Forum.

Brian W Evans
08-15-2023, 11:33 AM
Just ordered one from Amazon. Unfortunately, out of the four "hold down bolts" provided, the one that I needed has bad threads. Called Milescraft. No live body, just voicemail. The website offers the opportunity to contact them by email with a promise of a response within 48 hours. I guess I could just return it to Amazon and order another one, but that seems like such a waste. All I need is one bolt. If the company doesn't respond by tomorrow, I will go the Amazon return/re-order route. Buyer be ware.

I just opened one that I had purchased in January and had the same problem. I contacted MilesCraft yesterday evening through their web site and this morning I got an email with an order confirmation for the defective parts - for free, of course. Can't ask for faster or better service than that.

Bert McMahan
08-15-2023, 4:11 PM
Sam Blasco shows how clamps can move when they are locked down on one of his videos. I solved that problem by never having seen the need for clamps apart from as F&F jig which is a great clamp. My view may change if I was working on a panel saw and not a short stroke slider as some here may be doing or I was using fixed jigs which I haven't done either so horses for courses.

I know this is like 6 months old but any chance you have a link to this?

Edit: I think I found it. This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuyZwY0LHbE