PDA

View Full Version : My favorite shop product is…

John Goodin
02-02-2023, 1:25 AM
Timbermate. Every time I use it I think about how it is a wonderful product. It can be rehydrated, easy to apply, drys fast, sands great.

One day I hope to never need Timbermate but until then it will be the favorite.

Anyone else have an odd favorite shop product or tool.

Michael Schuch
02-02-2023, 1:32 AM
I can't live without a can of Kano Kroil in my shop. No other penetrating oil has ever come close to working itself into the crevices between rusty parts like Kroil.

Michael Burnside
02-02-2023, 10:49 AM
I can't live without a can of Kano Kroil in my shop. No other penetrating oil has ever come close to working itself into the crevices between rusty parts like Kroil.

Oh, Kroil is a good one, great stuff. I'd say Titebond 1 glue. I reach for it more than any other glue.

Jeff Roltgen
02-02-2023, 12:22 PM
Masking tape.
So many ways it helps me. Aligning and seaming veneers, clamping, even to gang up pieces for end-milling at the shapers - the end is listless.
I have a roll hanging on or near almost every machine.
Just got done using some, and I'll bet I use some more before the day is over...

Oh yeah, it's pretty good for use in the finishing room to cover dados/rabbets to avoid sealing in unwanted, targeted areas, in a masking-like fashion.

Best, most versatile bang for the buck for an item that gets almost daily use in the shop.

jeff

Lee Schierer
02-02-2023, 1:52 PM
Double sided tape. I use it quite often for making duplicate parts, holding parts to jigs, holding small parts for routing edges, and making temporary jigs.

I also use a lot of painters tape for all the reasons Jeff mentioned and then some. I've used it on inside corners of mitered corner boxes to make glue squeeze out easier to remove.

Jason Ost
02-02-2023, 8:15 PM
Paper towels and mechanical pencils

Michael Schuch
02-02-2023, 9:41 PM
Paper towels and mechanical pencils

I prefer old fashioned wood pencils which reminds me of one of the best bang for buck shop machines I have ever purchased. An old fashioned Boston office model plug in electric pencil sharpener from a thrift store for $5... it actually has a metal case around it!

If I buy mechanical pencils for the shop they always end up in my daughters back pack. :( It is easier to just buy a 100 pack of Ticonderogas.

Bruce Page
02-02-2023, 11:55 PM
3M Stikit sanding blocks. I have several in different grits. I use them on almost every project. Best hand sander I have ever used.
I love Timbermate too, except for the smell..

Steve Rozmiarek
02-03-2023, 2:27 PM
Acid brushes and ditto Micheal with the pencil sharpener.

John Kananis
02-03-2023, 5:58 PM
My block, #3 and bronze #4 planes. I find myself always reaching for one of those.

Steve Demuth
02-03-2023, 6:15 PM
I've got three old Stanley Block Planes. Two 9 1/2 with adjustable throats, one tuned for less than paper-thin cutting (with a polish, unpainted lever cap), the other for maybe .01" shavings (with a fully japaned lever cap). One low angle No. 60 (oddly, painted deep maroon). They are in the front of the top right drawer of my bench. The differences in livery make them instantly recognizable for purpose. I keep them fettled, sharp and ready for action. Rarely do two hours go by in the shop that I don't reach for one of the three.

So those are tools, and maybe you meant consumable products? In that case it's blue painters tape. I use it for masking, of course, both for finishes and glue, but also to set chisel lines, to label pieces, as a clamp for small pieces and shop-sawn veneer, and not infrequently to hold pieces together during dry fits.

Dave Zellers
02-03-2023, 6:25 PM
TimberMate for sure. I have maybe 5 colors and it's so easy to custom mix exactly what you're looking for. And as you said, when it starts to get a little dry, just a bit of warm water (and a lot of stirring) and you're back in business.

Next, my dial caliper along with set-up blocks. I can't believe how often I use them.

Also have to include my wood stove. :)

Jim Becker
02-03-2023, 8:02 PM
I'm with you, Dave...my digital caliper gets a "yuge" amount of use in my shop.

Patty Hann
02-03-2023, 8:04 PM
Ditto on the double sided tape and digital calipers (obviously we have a toss-up situation here :D)

Stan Calow
02-03-2023, 8:14 PM
Yes to digital calipers. Mine seem to walk away, so I have several, somewhere.

The not so glamorous tool I find myself using daily on every project is a file.

Lee Schierer
02-03-2023, 8:39 PM
Ditto on the double sided tape and digital calipers (obviously we have a toss-up situation here :D)

I also use my digital calipers a great deal and probably more often than double sided tape and painters tape.

James Pallas
02-03-2023, 8:41 PM
Rattle can Bullseye and mineral oil are always at hand. Masonry string and Lufkin folding rule for tools.
Jim

Patty Hann
02-03-2023, 8:45 PM
I also use my digital calipers a great deal and probably more often than double sided tape and painters tape.

I use the calipers lots and lots, the DS tape not so often; but when you DO need it, it really fills the bill.

Bill Carey
02-03-2023, 9:09 PM
Drafting brush - one by each machine - and my 6" Starrett square. And I use the bench horses on every project just about.

Alan Lightstone
02-04-2023, 11:21 AM
+3 or +4 for digital calipers. I use them a ton.

Veritas saddle marker would be high on the list too.

Bill Dufour
02-04-2023, 12:26 PM
The door knob. I use it everytime I go into the shop. Also the door and really the doorframe where I walk through. the wall.
Bill D

Frederick Skelly
02-04-2023, 1:05 PM
One of my favorites are these Utilitas Hook Rules from LV. LINK (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/marking-and-measuring/rules/72020-utilitas-hook-rules?item=15N0410) They are graduated in 16ths, which suits me. On one side, the scale starts (from zero) at the hook. On the other side, the scale starts at the other end. It's astonishing to me how useful that feature is for the work I do.

Another favorite are my double squares, especially the 4". Someone here on SMC recommended that I try one - now I have several.

Finally, another surprisingly useful gadget is my LV miniature block plane. This thing is about an inch long and is very handy. LINK (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/miniature-tools/planes/70138-veritas-miniature-block-plane?item=05P8220) (At $44 it's pricey though.)

michael langman
02-04-2023, 3:51 PM
I would have to say my optivisor. But as I get older I seem to use it more out of the shop then in the shop.

Ron Citerone
02-04-2023, 5:19 PM
Waterlox original!

Maurice Mcmurry
02-04-2023, 7:34 PM
Floor sanding abrasive rolls made in Sweden. 80, 120, 180, and 220 grit.494834

Tom Bain
02-04-2023, 8:30 PM
494839 :d

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2023, 10:58 PM
494839 :d

I thought I was the only one who was required to sacrifice blood to the woodworking gods for each and every project!:confused::eek:;)

John Kananis
02-05-2023, 1:41 PM
Bandaid? What did electrical tape go out of style? Or duct tape for the big stuff lol.

Jim Becker
02-05-2023, 1:45 PM
Bandaid? What did electrical tape go out of style? Or duct tape for the big stuff lol.

Yes, those are perennial favorites for fixing, um...boo-boos. That said, the latest generation of elastic bandages includes some that actually stay stuck around a wound as well as some specifically designed to work around "finger joinery", if you catch my drift. I have the former in my shop first aid kit and will have some of the latter as soon as local pharmacies are restocked...they all have been out of those suckers. (Not that I need them often, fortunately)

John Kananis
02-06-2023, 9:05 AM
Almost forgot ca glue. Works even better than duct tape haha.

Gordon Stump
02-06-2023, 9:17 AM
Digital Calipers. I use metric for the lathe and SAE for most everything else. Switching modes makes that easy. A close second is buying and using another gallon of Titebond II

Rick Potter
02-06-2023, 5:32 PM
I am with Fredrick on that Utilitas 6" hook rule. Use it all the time. The only problem is that it seems to have legs. I have lost two of them in the last year.

Band Aids are a close second. It seems I cannot avoid using one almost every day. I now only buy genuine, flex fabric Band Aids, because they stay on much longer than cheap ones. Big cuts/scrapes get a Bounty paper towel and masking tape fix.

Jonathan Jung
02-07-2023, 11:54 AM
Wood.

[more characters to be allowed to post]

Robert Tarr
02-07-2023, 12:33 PM
Blue shop paper towels...

John Kananis
02-07-2023, 7:50 PM
Blue shop paper towels...

I feel these tear a little easier than they used to.

Rich Engelhardt
02-08-2023, 7:05 AM
My 6" Woodpecker's Paolini ruler.
It's amazing how much I use it.

Roger Feeley
02-08-2023, 1:30 PM
Probably my dewalt cordless driver. That and a case full of driver bits. It gets used so much that the driver and case don’t really have a designated storage spot.

maybe another way to look at the question is what do I keep in my shop apron?
- remote for the dust collector.
- Veritas saddle square
- woodpeckers 3” triangle square.
- about 6 wooden pencils and a sharpie
- utility knife
plus
the Swiss Army knife in my pants pocket

Dave Zellers
02-08-2023, 8:04 PM

Whoa babies that stuff is expensive!

glenn bradley
02-08-2023, 9:12 PM
Dust collection. Due to giving this less attention early on than it deserved I am on medication for the rest of my life. All hail collecting dust at the source.