PDA

View Full Version : What actually is a good saw

Hipa Store
02-01-2023, 10:53 PM
Some said a good saw is one that runs when you need. So how to define a good saw?

Mark Gibney
02-01-2023, 11:54 PM
This question feels like a koan.

I use an 70's Unisaw, works fine. I guess it's a good enough saw.

Larry Frank
02-02-2023, 7:42 AM
A good saw has teeth.

Edward Weber
02-02-2023, 10:32 AM
Runs when it needs to
Easy start
Easy maintenance
Durable materials
Reasonably priced parts

Bill Dufour
02-02-2023, 11:23 AM
A good saw has teeth.

My abrasive cutoff saw has no teeth and works fine, for what it is.
Bill D

Bill Dufour
02-02-2023, 11:24 AM
My saw does not run away when I push wood into the table. If it did that would be a problem. I prefer a stationary saw.
Bill D

mike stenson
02-02-2023, 11:57 AM
a sharp one.

Bill George
02-02-2023, 12:59 PM
I have a DeWalt sawsall or Reciprocating saw I use all the time. If I keep the batteries charged it runs fine.

Rod Sheridan
02-04-2023, 4:08 PM
Some said a good saw is one that runs when you need. So how to define a good saw?

Assuming you mean a table saw.

- accurate

- safe

- good capacity

- good guards ( you may need more than one to allow different operations)

- for me, a sliding table and easily removed outrigger

- good dust collection above and below the blade

Regards, Rod

Warren Lake
02-04-2023, 4:39 PM
hes talking chainsaw. Saw a you tube few days ago tested maybe five saws. The Stihl MS250 cut faster than any of the others tested. I was almost suspicious if it was sharpened better. He did a pretty thorough test, I wasn't focused on the you tube doing other stuff just on in the back ground. I have that saw and its been used tons and works great.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2023, 6:09 PM
hes talking chainsaw.

I didn't realize this until looking again at the OP. It had me wondering why this is in Off Topic instead of Power Tools or Neanderthal Haven.

My response was going to get into needing more information to give an accurate question.

There are only two powered saws in my shop that are used regularly. There are at least a dozen handsaws to be used regularly in my endeavors.

Since the OP isn't likely interested in handsaws, it isn't for me to answer.

jtk

Tom M King
02-04-2023, 7:11 PM
I like this one. It's strong enough to support itself when doing a vertical cut with the top of the bar tip allowing me a moment of rest (edited to add: Don't try this at home ). This is a hot rod pulling more hp than stock, and a smaller than normal chain for this saw running at high chain speed thanks to a large sprocket. It idles good too, which is a requirement of a good saw.

Doing a little clearing of our trails after a big Winter wind storm came through. Farm Use WRX makes a good utility vehicle. A 90 cc saw has a little weight to it, but it's more fun running it for four minutes than one that weighs half as much for ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2cdN53BxGs

Rick Potter
02-06-2023, 5:23 PM
Easy: A good saw costs good money, no matter what type.

John Lanciani
02-06-2023, 5:30 PM
I hear that SawStop makes a good saw.

Bill George
02-07-2023, 7:30 PM
I buy saws where I can get them repaired as needed, never Mail Order!

Edward Weber
02-07-2023, 8:05 PM
OP is asking about chainsaws
Hipa Store is a repair site for outdoor equipment
https://www.hipastore.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAioifBhAXEiwApzCztts2_-z2m6d7XAHhdy2oBEVFLCmvYD2nZIg9mglyvu9WagO3fioDuhoC Sf4QAvD_BwE

glenn bradley
02-07-2023, 8:35 PM
OP is asking about chainsaws
Hipa Store is a repair site for outdoor equipment
https://www.hipastore.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAioifBhAXEiwApzCztts2_-z2m6d7XAHhdy2oBEVFLCmvYD2nZIg9mglyvu9WagO3fioDuhoC Sf4QAvD_BwE

Probably due to working for decades in a logical field but questions and statements devoid of the critical elements to make them meaningful automatically get highlighted and deleted from my reality :D.

Rich Engelhardt
02-08-2023, 8:46 AM
Good saw?

Sawzall (reciprocating saw). I like the DeWalt 10 amp because it has a head that allows horizontal use. That feature comes in handy when you have 200 feet of 70 year old hedges to clear out.

If I need anything more than that - I hire it out to someone with a chain saw & chipper & stump grinder.

Edward Weber
02-08-2023, 11:09 AM
Probably due to working for decades in a logical field but questions and statements devoid of the critical elements to make them meaningful automatically get highlighted and deleted from my reality :D.

Seriously?
Op's Name Is Hipa Store, sponsor

Bill Dufour
02-08-2023, 11:15 AM
Gravely since it drives itself to the job. No heavy saw to carry. They made chain and circular attachments. I would not want to use a handheld 26" diameter circular saw.
They also made a chainsaw attachment.
I threw in a picture of a wood powered log hauler for good measure.
Bill D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoCvKgOOpG0

mike stenson
02-08-2023, 11:21 AM
Seriously?
Op's Name Is Hipa Store, sponsor

I didn't go google it either, because to be honest.. I don't care enough. Lesson in marketing perhaps? In any case, a dull chain saw sucks as much as any dull saw.