PDA

View Full Version : Where Does My Milk Come From

Bruce Wrenn
02-01-2023, 9:47 AM
Did you know that there is a web site devoted to showing where your milk products came from. You simply enter the # for the processing plant, and the source pops up. The number will be two digits, followed by a dash, and then two to five numbers. Checking this morning, I found that Costco's butter comes from a plant in Utah, and Aldi's canned milk comes from a plant in NY. Here locally, one grocery chain processes milk for another local chain. Google "Where does my milk come from to access web site.

Barry McFadden
02-01-2023, 9:49 AM
Mine comes from the grocery store.....

Keegan Shields
02-01-2023, 10:07 AM
I'm guessing a cow :)

Bill Dufour
02-01-2023, 10:59 AM
https://whereismymilkfrom.com/

Brown cows give chocolate milk.
Guernsny cows give yellow milk
Bill D

Stan Calow
02-01-2023, 11:18 AM
Thanks. Our Aldi milk comes from O'fallon Illinois. Our other container is from a local dairy.

Rob Luter
02-01-2023, 1:58 PM
We're blessed here in Hoosierville. Our milk comes from a family farm dairy a few miles south of my house.

Perry Hilbert Jr
02-01-2023, 2:31 PM
I had a Jersey cow that really gave Chocolate milk. But not until after I named her calf Chocolate.

Lee Schierer
02-01-2023, 8:43 PM
I used to walk a quarter mile up the road to the neighbors dairy farm to get milk when we first moved into this house.

Bruce Wrenn
02-01-2023, 8:50 PM
I'm guessing a cow :)The kind my wife drinks comes from an OAT! Says so right on the label - Oat Milk. Having milked cow by hand, I can't quite grasp how you milk an oat. But I do put cows milk on my oatmeal.

Curt Harms
02-02-2023, 9:17 AM
The kind my wife drinks comes from an OAT! Says so right on the label - Oat Milk. Having milked cow by hand, I can't quite grasp how you milk an oat. But I do put cows milk on my oatmeal.

You need really small hands :)

Ronald Blue
02-02-2023, 3:43 PM
All the good answers were already taken.... shucks! Up until 30 years ago home squeezed Guernsey milk. Nothing better than the rich cream on top for your cereal. While there are still some dairy's around here it comes off the shelf in the store cooler. The current milk came from Canton Ohio so it traveled about 600 miles.

Patty Hann
02-02-2023, 6:21 PM
All the good answers were already taken.... shucks! Up until 30 years ago home squeezed Guernsey milk. Nothing better than the rich cream on top for your cereal. While there are still some dairy's around here it comes off the shelf in the store cooler. The current milk came from Canton Ohio so it traveled about 600 miles.

Mine came from the other side of Phoenix, about 40 miles west of me.

Bruce Wrenn
02-02-2023, 9:20 PM
Mine came from the other side of Phoenix, about 40 miles west of me.If the Colorado River continues to dry up, you will see dairies disappear from arid areas of the country. Saudia Arabia's diaries raise hay in CA, using water from the Colorado River.

mike stenson
02-02-2023, 9:53 PM
If the Colorado River continues to dry up, you will see dairies disappear from arid areas of the country. Saudia Arabia's diaries raise hay in CA, using water from the Colorado River.

More than just dairies.

Warren Lake
02-02-2023, 11:06 PM
My friend had Galloway cows. They are from Scotland and so give Scotch. They are furry a bit like sheep dogs.

Black on both ends and white in the middle. He called them Oreo cows same colour scheme as our OPP police vehicles. When the leader passed on the new one that took over was a bad influence and taught them how to do prison escapes. Several times he was pretty upset as its big liability or could be. Should have had Apple Tracker things. Or sent the new leader away.

Mel Fulks
02-03-2023, 3:29 AM
I used to love the Golden Guernsey milk , haven’t seen it in years. Keep meaning to look it up! It was thicker than ordinary milk and
was yellow-ish with buttery taste and when I had vanilla or chocolate powder malt I would sneak into my Grandma’s kitchen and guzzle. In early grade school we visited a Guernsey milk farm , we all got a small plastic Guernsey statue ! Think I’ve still got mine ,saw it just several
years ago and was delighted to see again. Put it in a now unknown place , when the cow comes out of hiding it will get a display case.

Patty Hann
02-03-2023, 4:24 AM
If the Colorado River continues to dry up, you will see dairies disappear from arid areas of the country. Saudia Arabia's diaries raise hay in CA, using water from the Colorado River.
Not just CA...they also own alfalfa fields in AZ, and are using the water from AZ aquifers.

https://azpbs.org/horizon/2022/06/saudi-water-deal-threatening-water-supply-in-phoenix/
(https://azpbs.org/horizon/2022/06/saudi-water-deal-threatening-water-supply-in-phoenix/)
And if they use water meant for the population, said population must get more of its water from the CAP (Central AZ Project), which gets it from ...yep, the Colorado river.

Allan Dozier
02-04-2023, 8:38 AM
Not many Guernsey or Jersey herds around anymore. Jersey cows were known to produce the richest highest fat content followed by Gurernseys. Almost all cow's milk now comes from Holsteins as they produce much more volume. The dairy industry has had remarkable success with selective breeding and the average cow now produces a whole lot more than they did years ago. Kind of the same with dairies, they have gotten larger and fewer.