PDA

View Full Version : Hvlp

Reg Mitchell
01-27-2006, 5:09 PM
Ok guys I am thinking about a set up for spraying finishes. All I have done up to this point is stain and poly. I have don a little wipe on tung oil but thats about the reach of my finishing.
Can you< now thats a loaded question, :) suggest a set up for small projects, say about a quart, for finishing and a reasonable price.

Joe Chritz
01-27-2006, 7:58 PM
If you have a decent sized air compressor....

I use an Astro HVLP gravity feed. It is a cheap gun, a knock off of some top of the line gun which i can't remember.

I have sprayed somewhere around 20 gallons of Pre-Cat with it and have gotten good results. It is not a pro finisher by any means but it will spray better than I can and the finishes look very nice.

A quick search shows them going for about 130 or so with an aluminum cup. If you don't have a compressor someone will chime in with turbine info as having to add a compressor takes it out of the reasonable range pretty quick.

FWIW, the gun cleans up in about 1 minute. Just don't do like I did and mix oil based stains and lacquer finishes in the same gun. If it isn't perfectly clean it makes a mess. (Don't ask :( )

lemme add that the cheap is in price as I have been very happy with the gun and it doesn't look or feel cheap to me.

Joe

Jim Becker
01-27-2006, 8:36 PM
I am extremely happy with my Wagner HVLP conversion gun...review on my site. It was a good $129 investment.

Reg Mitchell
01-27-2006, 9:01 PM
thanks gean....nice review and the "remote Cup" can you give me a little infomation about it and maybe a price .....it soulds like what i might be able to use.
Oh have you sprayed any polly with it since the artical.

Jim Becker
01-27-2006, 9:47 PM
Reg...I don't use poly and wouldn't spray it anyway. Varnishes dry too slowly and the overspray, as a result would be very sticky and not something I want in my shop. I also don't have a proper spray booth for working with solvent-based finshes and spray equipment. I have sprayed oil-base Rustoleum (outdoors) with great results. Otherwise, I spray water bourne finishes from Target Coatings.

You can get pricing information via the links to Gleem paint in the review.

Reg Mitchell
02-13-2006, 8:51 PM
Jim
Did you get the remote pot or the regular gun. Have your ever used the remote pot. If so can the regular cup be put back on and still be able to use it with the remote unit later
:confused:

Jim Becker
02-13-2006, 9:58 PM
Did you get the remote pot or the regular gun. Have your ever used the remote pot.
Yes...that's an "and" rather than an "or"... :D :D Seriously, I bought the regular gun first and added the remote pot recently. I have not used the latter yet...haven't done a big project that justifies it since getting the girls home. (But I have one in my eyesights...)

If so can the regular cup be put back on and still be able to use it with the remote unit later
According to Nathan at Gleem, you can. I originally was going to go that route, but decided to just get a second gun.

Reg Mitchell
02-13-2006, 10:26 PM
so you have a regular gun with a canister on it "and" :D .....see I lean quick, a pot for another gun ?

Mike Goetzke
02-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Reg - Several years ago I bought a HVLP gun with bottom can and never had any luck with it. I recently bought this one for $40 on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43430

It's a gravity fed gun. This last weekend I finished building two bookcases. They are 6' high by 3' wide and have 6 shelves to be finished. Because of my bad luck with the guns I usually dilute oil based poly and wipe it on but this job was too big to hand wipe and my garage has a gas furnace so the oil based poly was out. I purchased Minwax's Polycrylic and couldn't believe the great job this gun did. I applied 5 coats to the cases. Not only did the bookcases look great but it only took about 20 min. per coat to apply the finish.

I would highly recommend this gun (I actually went back to HF and bought a smaller detail gun of similar design).

I'll have to look into some of the higher quality water based finishes now.

Good Luck,

Mike

tod evans
02-14-2006, 7:20 AM
reg, i like the binks stuff for middle of the road paint equipment, it`s served me well for a long time......02 tod

Jim Becker
02-14-2006, 9:22 AM
so you have a regular gun with a canister on it "and" .....see I lean quick, a pot for another gun ?
I have two Wagner guns. One with the 1 qt attached pot and one with the 2 qt remote pot. Same spray mechanism...just a different finish source. And yes, the regular gun can be converted to the remote pot, but I suspect it's not something I'd want to do frequently; hence, owning both types. The remote pot looks just like the first picture in Tod's post other than the "color" (and brand) of the gun.

Reg Mitchell
02-14-2006, 6:11 PM
It's a gravity fed gun.
what the advantage to the gravity fed gun

Reg Mitchell
02-14-2006, 6:13 PM
Tod,
Any advantage to the gravity fed type. Can I use it with that air compressor you talked me into buying lolol Its in the garage, thought i'de let you know....:D

tod evans
02-17-2006, 3:15 PM
reg, the unit you bought should be able to run either a gravity or pot gun with no trouble. be sure to install one of the pumpkin type filters on the gun itself, after your primary filter, it`ll save your butt as far as contaminates go.....02 tod

Matt Meiser
02-17-2006, 4:23 PM
And yes, the regular gun can be converted to the remote pot, but I suspect it's not something I'd want to do frequently; hence, owning both types.

There isn't much to do to make the switch. You take the cup off the bottom, remove the quick-connect fitting for the air line, and unscrew the fitting for the small hose that pressurizes the cup. Then you plug the fitting hole with a small setscrew and attach the hoses from the remote pot to the fitting for the cup and the air line fitting on the bottom of the gun. I switched in maybe 5 minutes.

Jim Becker
02-17-2006, 5:58 PM
Good to know, Matt! Thanks. Have you had any issue with the "stiffness" of the hoses? They seem a little, um...inflexible...to me. But I'm also used to all my Flexeel air hoses...

Reg Mitchell
02-17-2006, 6:03 PM
Well guys, my sweetie ask the question" what" would you like for Valentines day" :eek: ...... anybody wanna guess whats on its way :D

Reg Mitchell
02-23-2006, 2:02 AM
ok, got the wagner today and a gallon of industral enamal paint for the base for the Oliver I am restoring. The motor gos to the shop tomorrow to have the leads replaced. As soon as it warms a little i will be shooting the base of the tablesaw. When I do I will give my thought on the conversion gun by Wagner.