PDA

View Full Version : Reading milk labels

Perry Hilbert Jr
01-27-2023, 6:48 AM
While shopping at the grocery store a few weeks ago, I read the nutrition labels.

Skim milk had 14 grams of carbohydrates per 8 oz serving.

2% milk had 13 grams of carbs per 8 oz serving.

Whole milk has 12 grams of carbs per 8 oz serving,

Heavy whipping cream has 6.3 grams of carbs per 8 oz serving. (less than half of the carbs in skim milk)

So is skim milk really that much better for you? (I must admit that growing up next to a guernsey dairy, I was accustomed to much richer milk than is sold in the stores. I used to splurge and drink a half pint of cream once in a while)

Lee Schierer
01-27-2023, 7:06 AM
While shopping at the grocery store a few weeks ago, I read the nutrition labels.

Heavy whipping cream has 6.3 grams of carbs per 8 oz serving. (less than half of the carbs in skim milk)

So is skim milk really that much better for you? (I must admit that growing up next to a guernsey dairy, I was accustomed to much richer milk than is sold in the stores. I used to splurge and drink a half pint of cream once in a while)

whole fat milk contains fewer carbohydrates than low-fat or skim because more of its volume is made up of fat, which does not contain lactose.

Brian Tymchak
01-27-2023, 10:23 AM

Did you note what the calorie counts were for the different levels of milk fat content? I think that would be interesting to know.

Ron Citerone
01-27-2023, 11:10 AM
For the last 15 years as a heart patient, I was all about watching fat. Last week my bloodwork showed high A1C so now I am reading the carb #'s too. Interesting to look at those fat vs. carb numbers on milk. Never knew it.

Perry Hilbert Jr
01-27-2023, 3:01 PM
I lost 40 pounds since I went on a KETO diet. Seems to come off easily enough with this diet. I can eat all the meat, fats, cheese, fiber, etc I want, but have to strictly limit carbs which means no/extremely few starches or sugars. Things like pasta, bread, even fruit are reserved for special occasions. We have a substantial berry patch and it is hard to avoid just grazing the berry patch during the season. (45 blueberry bushes, 15 black berries, wine berries, rasberries, aronia, high bush cranberries, Cape gooseberries, etc. I still wander through gulping a couple hand fulls of berries, but not eating as many as I had been.

Bruce Wrenn
01-27-2023, 9:51 PM
Look up CURRENT thinking on low fat vs whole milk. Seems the jury is out again on fats in milk. Personally for me it's a no brainner, I refuse to pay for and drink "white water." If I want water, then that's what I drink, and if I want milk, that's what I drink. If it tastes good, spit it out!

Jack Llewyllson
01-27-2023, 10:01 PM

They all have about the same calcium, which is good for your bones. I suppose the protein's around the same, too, and that's good for muscles and such.

Your brain, on the other hand... well, that sucker's built outta FAT. :D

Patty Hann
01-28-2023, 12:23 AM
Something else to consider is shelf life if you don't drink it that often.
With the price of milk (good lord with the price of everything!) I buy what's on sale, sometimes a gallon (container) sometimes several half gallons.

I happened to notice the "best by" dates varies according to fat content.
Skim goes bad the fastest, then 1%, then 2%, then whole milk. ( I drink 2%).
I also buy a small container of half-and-half , and I've noticed that the "best by" date is at least 2 months away!
So apparently the fat acts as a stabilizer and/or preservative(?).

Placing it on the the lowest shelf towards the back (where it's coldest in my fridge) I've had containers of 2% typically last about 5 days past the "best by" date with no noticeable change in flavor or consistency.
But then on the 6th day BOOM! I can tell it's time to dump it. But usually I use it up before then.

Alan Lightstone
01-28-2023, 9:51 AM
Something else to consider is shelf life if you don't drink it that often.
With the price of milk (good lord with the price of everything!) I buy what's on sale, sometimes a gallon (container) sometimes several half gallons.

I happened to notice the "best by" dates varies according to fat content.
Skim goes bad the fastest, then 1%, then 2%, then whole milk. ( I drink 2%).
I also buy a small container of half-and-half , and I've noticed that the "best by" date is at least 2 months away!
So apparently the fat acts as a stabilizer and/or preservative(?).

Placing it on the the lowest shelf towards the back (where it's coldest in my fridge) I've had containers of 2% typically last about 5 days past the "best by" date with no noticeable change in flavor or consistency.
But then on the 6th day BOOM! I can tell it's time to dump it. But usually I use it up before then.
Interestingly, I freeze all the milk I buy when I get it home. Then defrost it in the fridge a few days before I need it. I find that the milk lasts far longer refrigerated that way. Not sure why, but the difference is VERY noticeable. I almost never have milk go bad anymore. Used to happen all the time.

Bruce Wrenn
01-28-2023, 5:31 PM
If I buy milk from United Dairies (Aldi's), it has to be USED by sell by date, or converted into buttermilk. When we had Kroger, their brand would go at least a week beyond best by date. Food Lion (local chain) and Walmart usually make best by date. If I get a jug (whole milk) that has cream in the top of jug, it usually doesn't make the sell by date, so I add a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of milk and mix it into my buttermilk container. Every Saturday morning, I make a batch of biscuits, using two cups of buttermilk. Many cake and pie recipes call for buttermilk also, so none goes to waste. Instead it goes to my waist

roger wiegand
01-28-2023, 6:18 PM
The biggest variable for the lifespan of milk from various sources, assuming identical storage conditions, is the time and temperature of pasteurization. The longer and hotter, the longer the milk will last, albeit at some degradation of quality (don't try to make fresh mozzarella from ultra-pasteurized milk!). I find that the milk from the Costco lasts a week past the "sell by" date, whereas that from the local dairies has a much shorter window and often goes bad before the "sell by" date. I think the local "organic" guys do the minimum necessary, whereas Costco ships the milk in from afar and gives it a good cooking to extend the life. Since I can't tell the difference and the long lasting stuff costs half or a third the money that's the way I go.

Malcolm McLeod
01-28-2023, 9:11 PM
Something else to consider is shelf life if you don't drink it that often. ...

The biggest variable for the lifespan of milk from various sources, ...

Take a look at the 'Ultra filtered' offerings (i.e. Fairlife brand is one in my area). It is expensive, but it's 'best by' dates are usually 2-2.5months out - as found on the shelf. Half gallon will last me 2 mo.

Allan Dozier
01-29-2023, 9:43 AM
I figure it is a pick your poison situation. I am more at risk for vascular disease than type 2 diabetes so I avoid fat more than carbohydrates. My second thought was how our tastes and preferences can definitely change over the years. Case in point is the fat content of milk and sweet vs. unsweet tea. I grew up on whole milk and very sweet tea. Many years ago I gradually transitioned to skim milk and now can't stand the cloying taste of whole milk. Same with tea. After transitioning to unsweet tea I can't stand even a sip of sweet tea. I make 2 gallons of tea a week just for me.

Patty Hann
01-29-2023, 2:42 PM
..... I make 2 gallons of tea a week just for me.
HA! Only two gallons??? Piker! ;)
I make two gallons every Wed and then again on Saturday.:D (and unsweetened also)

Randy Heinemann
01-29-2023, 3:12 PM
I would imagine that most of the carbs in milk is sugar. All milk has a fair amount of sugar and whole milk has a lot of fats, especially saturated. Neither the sugar nor the fat, especially saturated, are good for you. The problem with drinking soy or another milk substitute is that, unless you can deal with the lack of taste of unsweetened versions of these, the amount of sugar is still high, although probably less than any of the real milks.

Years ago I found out that reading labels and gaining an understanding of what they mean for you as an individual, relating to your particular health and health problems is worthwhile. I'd be the first to admit that I don't always follow the correct diet, I do know when I'm not and try to avoid that. I would love to be one of those people who never seemed to have high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or need to worry about sugar, but I'm not.

Alan Lightstone
01-29-2023, 3:57 PM
I make two gallons every Wed and then again on Saturday.:D (and unsweetened also)
I guess you guys don’t worry about kidney stones.

Allan Dozier
01-29-2023, 7:33 PM

4 gallons a week just for you? I am not worthy. Actually I think these big Tupperware pitchers might be 1 & 1/2 gallon each but even then you are out of my league.

Patty Hann
01-29-2023, 9:30 PM
4 gallons a week just for you? I am not worthy. Actually I think these big Tupperware pitchers might be 1 & 1/2 gallon each but even then you are out of my league.

When I first moved to AZ about 40 years ago, I roomed with an English woman. She drank tea. A lot.
I had never drunk it, not iced, not hot, not tepid. When she found I never drank tea she was stunned.
Had I told her I tried it but didn't like it, she probably would have been appalled as well as stunned. :eek:
Anyway, I learned how to PROPERLY make tea (there is the correct way, and then all the other ways ;) ).
And I found I liked it. A lot. So I drink water and unsweetened tea (and 2% milk on my cereal** )
And you know, 4 gallons per week is only a little more than 1/2 gallon per day... and that's not a whole lot.

Patty Hann
01-29-2023, 9:47 PM
I guess you guys don’t worry about kidney stones.
I drink it the way the Brits do...with a splash of milk**...(2% or full fat***)

And the milk offsets the oxalate in black tea which (in large amounts) can cause kidney stones.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12627177/.
Tea with milk better for you than tea without milk (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tea-with-milk-safer-than-tea-without-says-study/3PFLNIBNYR4EMQFYK3QMKSTH4Q/)

Also I eat mostly low oxalate foods (except for Oreos, but if you dunk them in milk then it's OK :D)
So far no problems.... knock on (what else?) wood. ;)'

**Except when I'm sick, and the thought of consuming any dairy makes me gag.
So I put rum or brandy in the tea instead.:D

*** I also learned from my Brit roomie that you don't put cream in tea...it's always milk.
Cream is so "flavor heavy" that it overwhelms the flavor of the tea.

Alan Lightstone
01-30-2023, 9:17 AM

And the milk offsets the oxalate in black tea which (in large amounts) can cause kidney stones.
Tea with milk better for you than tea without milk (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tea-with-milk-safer-than-tea-without-says-study/3PFLNIBNYR4EMQFYK3QMKSTH4Q/)

Also I eat mostly low oxalate foods (except for Oreos, but if you dunk them in milk then it's OK :D)

*** I also learned from my Brit roomie that you don't put cream in tea...it's always milk.
Having had three painful kidney stones, and initially drinking lots of diet iced tea as my urologist had suggested drinking lots of liquid, after my third kidney stone he was appalled that I was drinking tea. He told me that the South is the kidney "Stone Belt" of the US (North Carolina residents have the most. A 15% chance for a white male to develop kidney stones in his lifetime, which is amazingly high).

Haven't had any tea since. And reading that study, it looks to me that just drinking milk and skipping the tea altogether would be better still if you had a history of oxalate kidney stones.

Patrick McCarthy
01-30-2023, 11:03 AM

Patty, love your sense of humor! Best, Patrick

Patty Hann
01-30-2023, 2:46 PM
Having had three painful kidney stones.... And reading that study, it looks to me that just drinking milk and skipping the tea altogether would be better still if you had a history of oxalate kidney stones.
Fer shure, fer shure. Medical history/risk factors etc are always a big part of the "what can I safely consume?" equation.

(But then this little voice 'way inside always reminds me: "Eat Right, exercise, die anyway." :rolleyes: :D)

Patty Hann
01-30-2023, 3:07 PM
Patty, love your sense of humor! Best, Patrick

-----------:)

Mel Fulks
01-30-2023, 3:51 PM
Milk Labels: When did you last go to the beach and see at least one guy with two tattoos on his upper chest ? Sweet and Sour and Hot
and Cold were both popular.

Patty Hann
01-30-2023, 5:18 PM
Milk Labels: When did you last go to the beach and see at least one guy with two tattoos on his upper chest ? Sweet and Sour and Hot
and Cold were both popular.
...Gross :-p

Mel Fulks
01-30-2023, 5:35 PM
Patty, I want to assure you that I didn’t make that up. Be assured the style is no longer popular ; but ,yes it could come back.

Patty Hann
01-30-2023, 6:07 PM
Patty, I want to assure you that I didn’t make that up. Be assured the style is no longer popular ; but ,yes it could come back.
Oh Mel.... I'm not offended, except in the "High school girl" sense, as in "eeewwwww"!
No harm done, it's all good. ;)

Stan Calow
01-31-2023, 1:09 PM
Wow, thanks SMC for the unintended education. I drink a lot of tea and had no idea that it is high in oxalate. I avoid spinach for that reason (well, not the only reason) but was cutting back on coffee and soda by drinking tea. Kidney stones scare the heck out of me.

Mel Fulks
01-31-2023, 2:51 PM
Wow, thanks SMC for the unintended education. I drink a lot of tea and had no idea that it is high in oxalate. I avoid spinach for that reason (well, not the only reason) but was cutting back on coffee and soda by drinking tea. Kidney stones scare the heck out of me.

I had not heard that . I drink 8 tea-bags of oolong tea every day. When I was young , every time I drank a cup of coffee I got a heart-beat of 140.
Saw heart doctor and he told me to stop drinking coffee. That’s what I was thinking, but it’s good to get a “second opinion”.

Ron Citerone
01-31-2023, 3:05 PM
So my Scoutmaster way back when, was from England and served in the British Navy during WWII. He said soldiers trying to dodge the draft there would pack tea leaves in their arm pits to create a higher than acceptable heart rate. I never heard or read that anywhere else though.

Patty Hann
01-31-2023, 5:43 PM

For all you iced tea drinkers** (and non-English way of drinking tea with milk) adding lemon*** helps mitigate the nasty kidney stone effects of tea.

Lemon juice in tea (https://www.greaterbostonurology.com/blog/6-easy-ways-to-prevent-kidney-stones)
(Other advice in there too)

** I don't drink Iced tea unless there's no [drinkable] water available. Hot only, year-round (even when it's 115F)
*** When I'm sick (see earlier post) and add rum/brandy to tea instead of milk, I also add lemon juice as much for taste as for medcial reason.

Perry Hilbert Jr
01-31-2023, 5:54 PM
Freezing homogenized milk causes it to separate when thawed. The Cream will rise to the top and the skim milk below it does not last as long.

Mel Fulks
01-31-2023, 6:29 PM

Cream is so "flavor heavy" that it overwhelms the flavor
of the tea.

Now being diplomatic …after a one divorce and memories of school yard scraps , and really wanting an Ambassador job, to any peaceful country, I use half and half ! In hot tea.

Perry Hilbert Jr
01-31-2023, 6:48 PM
Interestingly, I freeze all the milk I buy when I get it home. Then defrost it in the fridge a few days before I need it. I find that the milk lasts far longer refrigerated that way. Not sure why, but the difference is VERY noticeable. I almost never have milk go bad anymore. Used to happen all the time.

Freezing homogenized milk causes it to separate when it thaws. the cream will rise to the top.

Derek Meyer
01-31-2023, 6:57 PM
I did not know that black tea can contribute to kidney stones. I drink a lot of tea - probably 2-3 gallons a week, and have for 20+ years now. I've never had a stone. My maternal grandmother had several in her lifetime and once told me that it was the worst pain imagineable. She wouldn't wish it on her worst enemy.

We drink around 2 gallons of milk a week at our house (3 adults). We prefer 2%. I drank 1% for a while in an attempt to cut down on calories, as the extra 1% milkfat adds about 20 calories to an 8 ounce glass. I've since decided that the extra flavor is worth the extra calories.

Patty Hann
01-31-2023, 7:03 PM
I did not know that black tea can contribute to kidney stones. I drink a lot of tea - probably 2-3 gallons a week, and have for 20+ years now. I've never had a stone. My maternal grandmother had several in her lifetime and once told me that it was the worst pain imagineable. She wouldn't wish it on her worst enemy.

We drink around 2 gallons of milk a week at our house (3 adults). We prefer 2%. I drank 1% for a while in an attempt to cut down on calories, as the extra 1% milkfat adds about 20 calories to an 8 ounce glass. I've since decided that the extra flavor is worth the extra calories.

That is probably why you haven't had kidney stones (congrats on that).
And I agree with you on the 2% being the lowest fat content I'll drink.
I nearly gagged when I drank skim milk the first (and only) time.
Even now just looking at it being poured (that bluish tint) kind of makes me gag.

Patty Hann
01-31-2023, 7:12 PM
Now being diplomatic …after a one divorce and memories of school yard scraps , and really wanting an Ambassador job, to any peaceful country, I use half and half ! In hot tea.

HAHA.... I like Half and Half in coffee (that I rarely drink but still like very much) and so, despite what roomie said, I tried it in tea.
But all I could really taste was the cream... the tea flavor got kind of lost. Maybe it was just the power of suggestion working, but I decided she was right and went back to milk.
And several years later I was in Scotland for a month (rode all over the place on my bike which I took with me) nowhere did anyone serve tea with cream (or H-and-H).
I was always asked if I wanted it black or with milk. When I asked if it was ever drunk with cream, there was always a hesitancy and then "Well, no... but I can bring you cream if you prefer that."

Mel Fulks
02-01-2023, 12:46 AM
Well, Scotland is not known for following English ways.

Patty Hann
02-01-2023, 12:52 AM
Well, Scotland is not known for following English ways.
..as the ghost of William Wallace can attest :)

Perry Hilbert Jr
02-01-2023, 2:39 PM
So my Scoutmaster way back when, was from England and served in the British Navy during WWII. He said soldiers trying to dodge the draft there would pack tea leaves in their arm pits to create a higher than acceptable heart rate. I never heard or read that anywhere else though.

Sheesh, I got to take meds to just to speed up the ticker. W/o the meds the HR is in the high 40's. with the meds in the 60's.