PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Height

Rob Bodenschatz
01-27-2006, 3:27 PM
Well, here it is. My first post. I've been lurking for a few months now and am really impressed with the amount of information on this board. Great site. Now, on to my question...

I'm in the planning stages of building a new dedicated workshop. I won't go into all the details now but I am planning on having a wood floor over crawl space. Originally, I was just going to have the crawl space tall enough to get wires and dust collection ductwork under. Then, thinking a bit more about it, I started to consider putting in a "full basement" so I could use it for storage and have the dust collector under there. Now, I don't have a dust collector yet but I'd like to leave enough space under there to keep most options open. What height for this "basement" would you recommend?

Don Frambach
01-27-2006, 4:21 PM
Since you're obviously building a nice shop, I would suggest that you make provisions for a nice dust collection system. I personally have a 1.5 hp Oneida cyclone system that is a little underpowered. The height of a 2 or even 3 hp system are listed on the Oneida website. Other cyclone systems from Grizzley, Penn State, and others also publish their height requirements. Hope things work out for you.

Don Frambach
01-27-2006, 4:24 PM
Just had another thought.. If you suck all your warm air into your basement, you should make a provision for an air return back into your shop. Probably not a big deal except during cold winter months.

Joe Chritz
01-27-2006, 4:42 PM
I just recentlly moved my basement shop (not at all completed) to a dedicated outdoor building.

There was more cost involved but it opened up more room for a toy room (daddy's not kiddies ;) ) and made access for raw materials and finished items a lot easier.

If I had a way to put a Bilco door to a basement shop the access problem would be solved.

Also I work an afternoon shift of 6PM to 4 AM so I am normally up late. Even a quite dust collector (I have the oneida super dust gorilla) is to loud to be under the kids and/or wife while they are sleeping.

As an answer to height check with the manufactors but almost all make units that will fit under an 8 foot ceiling or into the joist cavities. Personally I now have 10 foot ceilings and will never have any less again.

Plan it as best as you can and be prepared to change it around some. I expect to be tweeking mine for a long time yet.

Good luck

Joe

Bob Noles
01-27-2006, 5:00 PM
Rob,

I can't be much help on your question, but I noticed this was your first post and wanted to say welcome to SMC, I think you will enjoy it here.

Wes Bischel
01-27-2006, 5:03 PM
Rob,
I cannot answer the height question (though I know it's over 7' - don't ask:rolleyes: ), but I will add - if you put the DC down there, make sure there is an easy way to get the chips back out - they build up fast and can be quite heavy.

FWIW,
Wes

Jim Becker
01-27-2006, 8:03 PM
Welcome, Rob!! (I owned a condo in Royersford back in 1979-1981...)

A cyclone with an integral motor/blower on top realistically needs an 8' ceiling with the motor between the floor joists and a 55 gallon drum under it. A cyclone with an off-board blower can reduce that height requirement. I agree with Wes, consider your access to the space if you are going to put the DC down there. But I do like the idea of stashing the DC, compressor and even materials storage in a space like that as it leaves your shop free for the business at hand...and much quieter, too. If your property is sloped, that would really support this model great!

Joe Mioux
01-27-2006, 9:50 PM
Welcome, Rob!! (I owned a condo in Royersford back in 1979-1981...)

A cyclone with an integral motor/blower on top realistically needs an 8' ceiling with the motor between the floor joists and a 55 gallon drum under it.

Nine feet with the small container is a lot more comfortable, which is what I have. Jim, I suspect you wouldn't disagree. What Jim says is correct, but if you have the luxury, allow for a bit more ceiling height.

Rob, first welcome! Second, if you are starting from scratch, the last place I would place a DC especially with a 55 gallon drum is in a basement. It is going to be a real pain to move that up the stairs everytime you need to dump it. If you can try designing the DC cyclone up in the attic with a drop for both the 55 gallon drum and the filter on the main floor. That way dust/chip disposal will be easier and you will recycle indoor heated air back into your shop.

Joe

Jeff Horton
01-27-2006, 10:00 PM
I just built a new house and no dust collector yet. But I am shopping for one. But I designed my basement to have 9' ceilings. It ended up just a little under that but I love it. I can stand up a sheet of ply and still clear the lights. If you have the option go tall, you won't regret it.

Matt Meiser
01-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Second, if you are starting from scratch, the last place I would place a DC especially with a 55 gallon drum is in a basement. It is going to be a real pain to move that up the stairs everytime you need to dump it.

I was going to say the same thing. Unless you have a walkout basement or build some kind of hoist, you are going to get real tired of emptying those bins. Mine are at ground level, and I still hate it. Another thing to think about is that you probably are going to want to seriously consider some kind of bin full indicator because you probably aren't going to want to check on it as frequently as you probably need to. Trust me when I say overflowing the bin is not enjoyable.

Andy Hoyt
01-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Since you're buiding from scratch, here's what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

This assumes that you do not have an opportunity to build a full height basement, but can build something more substantial in height than a typical crawl space. Height might not be standable, but perhaps and hopefully at least kneelable.

Put the DC in a sound-proofed closet in the shop positioned in plan so as to be right next to the exterior door providing access to the lower level. Run the duct (or hose) from the bottom of the cyclone right down to and through the floor into the top of a site-built airtight box.

Box is whatever size is manageable within the space but certainly at least a couple of iceboxes worth of cubic feet. Box has a big full height well weatherstripped door. Box also has a window for guestimating whether or not box needs emptying.

Get a get a grain shovel and empty box into wheelbarrows, trash bags, neighbor's beamer, or whatever other removal methodology is prudent and applicable to your circumstances.

Ductwork run in the lower level is a given. That's what I have and it's a huge benefit.

The return air question is not an issue since your filter/s will be upstairs in the closet. All you have to do is ensure that the closet has about two square feet's worth of "hole in the wall" between it and the conditioned shop.

Rob - There are a lot of ideas floating around on this right now. I suggest you jump back in here and let us know which comments or suggestions are headed in the right or wrong direction. Doing so will allow everyone to provide even more focused responses. Otherwise we're all just guessing and making assumptions.

Rob Beckers
01-28-2006, 8:34 AM
Hi Rob,

I'm in the process of putting a cyclone in a room with a 91" ceiling. This is not something I would recommend, but it's all I have to work with. As others suggested, take a look at various manufactureres' specs and go from there.

Since you are planning dust collection you may want to take a look at Bill Pentz's Web site (http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm) on this topic. He seems very knowledgable. The cyclone I'm putting in is essentially his design, as made by ClearVue (http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/).

Good luck with the shop!

-Rob-

john mclane
01-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Rob
Welcome to this forum. I'm relatively new and love to browse it.

The site www.woodmagazine.com (http://www.woodmagazine.com) on their wood mall section had a recent review of the cyclone dust collectors and listed all the dimension in a table that you can download for free. I had the linkage in another thread but couldn't find it quickly. found it: http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/woo...stertest/chart (http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/woodmall/shell/chartShell.jhtml?chart=woodmall/charts/153twistertest/chart) Bottom line the smallest height of any of them is 85" .

I agree that putting below the shop does not make sense due to the emptying. Maybe you should look into the more commercial ones that go outside if space is an issue. Still have the problem of pumping air outside, but we could use some of that warmth today.

Tom Pritchard
01-28-2006, 10:57 AM
First off, welcome to the Creek Rob! You're gonna love it here!

If I remember correctly, there wasn't a huge difference in cost for most contractors between a 5' basement and a 10' basement, as long as you're not building on rock or have some other excavation issue such as water.

I have never heard anyone say that they wish their basement was shorter! Some of the new cyclone systems require quite a bit of headroom. While you are at it, you may want to look at the cost of adding an outside entrance to the basement, I wish I had one! Best of luck Rob, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project!

Ken McColly
01-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Having a basement beneath the shop would definitely be a plus. Lots of room for storage and work away from main shop area, also possibly an office, etc.

However, if it was me I would put a good cyclone system in a bump-out on the main level with air return to the shop and exterior access to empty the cyclone barrel. This will provide sound insulation and simplify disposal. Wood eaters produce a lot of sawdust and chips and I would rapidly tire of hauling it back up to ground level.

Good luck and congrats on the new shop!

Ken

Rob Bodenschatz
01-28-2006, 3:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback. You've given me a lot to think about. I was getting a little worried when almost an hour went by without a response. ;)

I had not fully considered the pain it would be to empty the thing if it's in the basement. There is a slight slope to the area I'm putting the shop so it looks like I should be able to have some sort of good access to the basement, though. I may be able to carve out a full sized door. I should say too that I'm not a full time woodworker. I'm just getting started (if it wasn't obvious) and I don't see spending more than 10-15 hours a week in there.

My original plan was to have a small closet on the outside of the building to enclose the DC at ground level. Unfortunately, the best place for this closet (aesthetically) was about 30 feet from where I want to put my big dustmakers. I wanted to get it closer which is the main reason for the underground approach. That, plus the added storage. I don't want to break the bank though so it may come down to cost.

Thanks again for everyone's feeedback. I'm going to start another thread soon on window/door placement. Stay tuned!