PDA

View Full Version : DNA drying method questions

Jason Wulff
01-27-2006, 3:24 PM
This is new to me but I'm ready to try it. Sounds simple and I understand the process.

However.......my shop is in the basement and I really want to avoid using the DNA down there. My garage is at a steamy 40 degrees. Is this too cold or is it ok to soak the bowls around with a temp of 35-45 degrees?

Second, I'm looking to make some 15-18" bowls. I read it would not be wise to use a metallic tub (which I've seen at HD and it states "made from recycled metals"). What would be good to use for a larger bowl? I'm having a hard time thinking of something.

Thanks
Jason

Dominic Greco
01-27-2006, 3:40 PM
Jason,
Presently my shop is an unheated garage. So I really don't think that the cold will be a problem. I've been using the alcohol soak technique for a better part of two years now and never had an issue with the cold. And it's gotten mighty cold during the winter here in NE PA.:D

My "dunking vat" is a 4 gallon canning pot I purchased at KMart for $15. I can submerge bowls at least 12" dia in there.

As far as soaking large bowls, I've heard of turners placing the large roughed out bowls in heavy duty plastic bags and then filling the bag up with alcohol. For spill protection, they place the bag in a large rubbermaid container.

Does that help you out any?

Jason Wulff
01-27-2006, 3:54 PM
Absolutely! Thank you very much Dominic. My key concern was am I able to use the DNA out in a cold garage. I'm very happy to hear the answer is yes.

If any one has further input/experience on what to soak larger bowls in, I am still listening.

Thanks

Jim Ketron
01-27-2006, 5:33 PM
Also Use Shavings in the bottom of the container to conform to the shape of the bowl (So you wont need a bunch of DNA) Then place the bowl in a heavy duty bag and set it in the shavings and fill up the bag with DNA completely covering the bowl.

John Hart
01-27-2006, 6:13 PM
I use a plastic pail (5 gallons) and use shavings and a plastic bag how Jim said.

Jim Dunn
01-27-2006, 6:20 PM
I use some butter tubs and return the unused DNA to the 1gallon container it came in. I use it in the basement and the only person that would complain, read SWMBO, dosen't.

I've not turned any thing larger than a bottle cap, so far, so I don't need a 5gallon bucket.

Howie French
01-27-2006, 7:03 PM
with the plastic bag method, is there much DNA actually surrounding the bowl ? , or is the bag fairly tight around the bowl ?

Howie

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2006, 10:42 PM
I use a canning pot I got from K-Mart also. It is in a unheated garage with the lid on and have never had a problem with it.

Dennis Peacock
01-28-2006, 2:34 AM
with the plastic bag method, is there much DNA actually surrounding the bowl ? , or is the bag fairly tight around the bowl ?

Howie

Howie,

Just loosly pull the bag up around the bottom side of the bowl in the bag. I pre-form the shaving in a 15 gal "foot tub", put the bag in the tub, put the bowl in the bag and pour in enough DNA to just cover the rim of the bowl. Then I twist the bag closed and clamp it shut with a small clamp to hold the bag closed at the twist location. This process uses less alcohol than dumping it all in a 5 gal pucket or a 15 gal foot-tub" to soak a bowl in. Works great!!!

Barbara Gill
01-28-2006, 5:20 AM
I also use a heavy duty garbage bag and a big round plastic tub from Wal-Mart for soaking 18" bowls. As has been stated, the shavings placed in the tub so you can conform the resting surface will save alcohol.