PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #11 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
01-27-2006, 1:51 PM
Friday January 27th, 2006

6 AM this morning it was 42 degrees. Now at noon thirty it's 52.

Got to the new home site at about 8:30 this morning to find the lumber had been delivered [pics below]. WOW!

Brian, the rep from the GC came by and my first remark was, "There ain't enough wood there to build a house!" :confused: Of course the roof trusses aren't there, they come Monday, but even at that it sure don't look like enough for a house.

He assured me that there is enough, so I guess I'll take his word for it. ;) :D

Well, then I thought I'd try to trim up the lawn a wee bit, at least what I have left of a lawn, but I seemed to have a problem with the mower. ;) :rolleyes: :p :D

And Brian said the windows are scheduled to be delivered on the 14th. OF FEBRUARY!!! That's two weeks. And they just got ordered a little over a week ago. Pella rocks! :cool: :D

Framing starts Monday, weather permitting.

Have a good weekend. :)

Karl

Jerry Olexa
01-27-2006, 2:01 PM
Karl you have been blessed on this project...Everything is going you're way...Even 50 degrees in Wisc in Winter.:)

Cecil Arnold
01-27-2006, 6:36 PM
Wow Karl, 52 degrees, everybody into the pool. Yeah, that's enough to frame it up. You guys are rockin' won't be too long before it's time to pick out the finish trim and paint.

Boyd Gathwright
01-27-2006, 8:14 PM
Friday January 27th, 2006

6 AM this morning it was 42 degrees. Now at noon thirty it's 52.

Got to the new home site at about 8:30 this morning to find the lumber had been delivered [pics below]. WOW!

Brian, the rep from the GC came by and my first remark was, "There ain't enough wood there to build a house!" :confused: Of course the roof trusses aren't there, they come Monday, but even at that it sure don't look like enough for a house.

He assured me that there is enough, so I guess I'll take his word for it. ;) :D

Well, then I thought I'd try to trim up the lawn a wee bit, at least what I have left of a lawn, but I seemed to have a problem with the mower. :p :D

And Brian said the windows are scheduled to be delivered on the 14th. OF FEBRUARY!!! That's two weeks. And they just got ordered a little over a week ago. Pella rocks! :cool: :D

Framing starts Monday, weather permitting.

Have a good weekend. :)

Karl

.... Karl, Your pictures look good, but they could look better and would show much more detail if you turn on the camera's FILL FLASH option.

.... Just a thought if you would like to try it. It took me a while to learn how to uncover my shadows by doing this :).

Jim Becker
01-27-2006, 8:42 PM
I'm really glad to see those engineered joists! They are great...my shop building has them and I want them in our addtion when we build it one of these days. Great spans!

Thanks for the update! Keep 'em coming!

Joe Mioux
01-27-2006, 9:32 PM
Karl, I have been following these threads with interest. Today, I looked at your JD with the SB and the very first thing that came to my mind was OMG he is grading the property with a SB:eek: lol!

BTW, What model is the JD?

Keep us posted this has been really an enjoyable set of threads. Thank you Joe

Karl Laustrup
01-27-2006, 9:47 PM
.... Karl, Your pictures look good, but they could look better and would show much more detail if you turn on the camera's FILL FLASH option.

.... Just a thought if you would like to try it. It took me a while to learn how to uncover my shadows by doing this :).

.\

Thanks Boyd, I'll try that. The sun is so low in the sky yet I really get shadows from the cedar trees and blue spruce.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 287986" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Joe Mioux</TD><TD class=alt2>Karl, I have been following these threads with interest. Today, I looked at your JD with the SB and the very first thing that came to my mind was OMG he is grading the property with a SB:eek: lol!

BTW, What model is the JD?

Keep us posted this has been really an enjoyable set of threads. Thank you Joe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks Joe, I was wondering when someone was going to pick up on the snow blower. :D Man can you imagine the racket that thing would make going over that dirt with it engaged. :eek: :eek:

My JD is a 345 and just turned 11 years old last October. Nothing runs like a Deere.

Karl

Steve Ash
01-27-2006, 10:12 PM
\

My JD is a 345 and just turned 11 years old last October. Nothing runs like a Deere.

Karl

I agree with that statement Karl...pretty much all we used on our farm was Deere's. When dad retired from farming he gave me one of our old John Deeres as a keepsake....and my wife enjoys her Deere riding mower.

Glad to see the lumber arrive, things will start changing real fast...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1196_060.jpg

Matt Meiser
01-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Oh, we're playing THAT game :D

Brett Baldwin
01-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Wow Karl, 52 in January. I sure don't remember many days like that in Illinois. Of course it was in the 40s when I went back there for Christmas but I just figured the weather had followed me back. Here's to hoping the breaks keep falling your way.

And Matt, you can tell by the expression on the little one's face, nobody likes a backseat driver.;)

Karl Laustrup
01-28-2006, 5:34 AM
Oh, we're playing THAT game :D

How sweet it is.

Start driving bud, I'm going to need some dirt rearranged and that looks like it could handle the job. ;) :D

What model is that?

Karl

Robert Mickley
01-28-2006, 6:59 AM
Looking good Carl!! Why do you have the SB on? Man I've got my 216 in the shop gettting it ready to put the rototiller on it :)

You guys are right nothing runs like a deere, a skeered deere that is :D
Now this is a loader tractor,

Karl Laustrup
01-28-2006, 7:48 AM
Why do you have the SB on?

Hey Robert,

This is WISCONSIN and it is still JANUARY. I think?:confused:

Even though the grass is starting to grow there is always a possibility through April.

Karl

John Hart
01-28-2006, 8:16 AM
I don't have a tractor :o
http://www.screensavershot.com/animals/deer.jpg

Matt Meiser
01-28-2006, 8:20 AM

Is his name John?

Matt Meiser
01-28-2006, 8:23 AM
What model is that?

Its a 4110. I love it (Kristen does too!) and it has been perfect for my needs.

Jim Becker
01-28-2006, 10:46 AM
While mine is similar to Matt's, it's also orange. Regardless, they are WONDERFUL machines to have around and can do so much. I don't know about Matt and his family, but around there, the loader has paid for itself many, many times over...

Matt Meiser
01-28-2006, 10:53 AM
While mine is similar to Matt's, it's also orange.

We won't hold that against you. :D

don't know about Matt and his family, but around there, the loader has paid for itself many, many times over...

Lets see:
- Dug a drainage ditch and a retention area to get the water away from my shop.
- Pull the overgrown bushes from around the house.
- Lifted the top of my jointer onto the base.
- Hauled sod from the places we pulled it up to straighten out the landscaping.
- Got some HUGE rocks from the next door neighbors pasture for our landscaping.
- Moved two truckloads of landscape stone from the driveway to around the house.
- Moved dirt to fill an area next to our driveway to create parking for our trailer and camper.
- Moved around the stone on the driveway to get it spread evenly.

I guess you could say that!

Boyd Gathwright
01-28-2006, 11:18 AM
<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr title="Post 288289" valign="top"><td class="alt1" align="center" width="125">Matt Meiser</td> <td class="alt2"> Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Jim Becker
While mine is similar to Matt's, it's also orange.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

We won't hold that against you. :D

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Jim Becker
don't know about Matt and his family, but around there, the loader has paid for itself many, many times over...
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Lets see:
- Dug a drainage ditch and a retention area to get the water away from my shop.
- Pull the overgrown bushes from around the house.
- Lifted the top of my jointer onto the base.
- Hauled sod from the places we pulled it up to straighten out the landscaping.
- Got some HUGE rocks from the next door neighbors pasture for our landscaping.
- Moved two truckloads of landscape stone from the driveway to around the house.
- Moved dirt to fill an area next to our driveway to create parking for our trailer and camper.
- Moved around the stone on the driveway to get it spread evenly.

I guess you could say that!</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="thead" colspan="2">Today 10:46 AM</td> </tr> <tr title="Post 288284" valign="top"> <td class="alt1" align="center" width="125">Jim Becker</td> <td class="alt2">While mine is similar to Matt's, it's also orange. Regardless, they are WONDERFUL machines to have around and can do so much. I don't know about Matt and his family, but around there, the loader has paid for itself many, many times over...</td></tr></tbody></table>

.... Mine is orange too :D :rolleyes: :).

Boyd Gathwright
01-28-2006, 11:24 AM
.... Karl, Good luck on your house. It looks like you're off to a great start :).

John Miliunas
01-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Awww, mine is just there to cut the green stuff!

Great progress! Yeah, that doesn't look like enough lumber but, what the heck do I know??? With my carpentry "skills", I'd need at least half again as much to take care of the short cuts!!!:rolleyes:

I'm thinking you're gonna' need to sharpen the "blades" on that fancy "mower deck" before you start any trimming!!! :D :cool:

Jerry Olexa
01-28-2006, 11:41 AM
I also have a "smaller" JD. I think its a LX177. Hydrostat Drive 17hp w Leaf att. I love it. Runs and starts like a jewel even one year when I forgot to winterize. :)

Karl Laustrup
01-28-2006, 3:08 PM

I like that steering wheel John. How's it handle? :D And how does it do moving dirt??? ;)

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 288216" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Matt Meiser</TD><TD class=alt2>Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
What model is that?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Its a 4110. I love it (Kristen does too!) and it has been perfect for my needs.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So are you on the Interstate yet heading this way Matt. :D

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 288284" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Jim Becker</TD><TD class=alt2>While mine is similar to Matt's, it's also orange. Regardless, they are WONDERFUL machines to have around and can do so much. I don't know about Matt and his family, but around there, the loader has paid for itself many, many times over...</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jim, I like orange too. :) I-80 to I-90 or I-94. Exit 87 and look for a couple of piles of dirt and a construction waste bin. That'll be the place.
We can do a number on that grading and landscaping. :D

See you guys soon???? ;) :D

Karl

Andy Hoyt
01-28-2006, 4:23 PM

John - concentrate on what you'll need when you move.

Andy Hoyt
01-28-2006, 4:29 PM
As for me - well this latest crazy weather melted all the snow, and since the barn sits in a hollow and on ledge, guess where all the snow went. Darn piece of flotsam (or is it jetsam) wedged itself up against the automatic sump pump and well here ya go.

Frank Chaffee
01-28-2006, 5:36 PM
As for me - well this latest crazy weather melted all the snow, and since the barn sits in a hollow and on ledge, guess where all the snow went. Darn piece of flotsam (or is it jetsam) wedged itself up against the automatic sump sump and well here ya go.

Andy,
I’m bettin’ that if you hooked up a really big hose to the grass exhauster on that baby, and set the deck to the lowest level, you could pump that place dry.
Frank

John Miliunas
01-28-2006, 5:58 PM
As for me - well this latest crazy weather melted all the snow, and since the barn sits in a hollow and on ledge, guess where all the snow went. Darn piece of flotsam (or is it jetsam) wedged itself up against the automatic sump pump and well here ya go.

Hey dude, I done seen a LOT of different attachment fer dem Deere's but, I ain't never seen any kind of floatation devices for 'em!!! :eek: :cool:

Frank Chaffee
01-28-2006, 6:08 PM
Hey dude, I done seen a LOT of different attachment fer dem Deere's but, I ain't never seen any kind of floatation devices for 'em!!! :eek: :cool:
Ballast John, ballast! Andy’s got to keep that thing down or he’ll hydroplane and careen off the walls.
Maybe I should send him my cheesemaker boots to keep his tootsies dry too.
Frank

John Hart
01-28-2006, 6:28 PM
Andy is Retired Navy....Perhaps he misses it. Watertight integrity Andy..Watertight Integrity.;)

Andy Hoyt
01-28-2006, 7:03 PM
"Now Set Condition Yoke throughout the Creek! Check all watertight doors and fittings. Now Set Condition Yoke!"

Andy Hoyt
01-28-2006, 7:04 PM
I knew about Cheeseheads; but Cheesefeeters are a new one for me.:eek:

John Miliunas
01-28-2006, 7:10 PM
I knew about Cheeseheads; but Cheesefeeters are a new one for me.:eek:

Hey, if it's got anything to do with cheese, we got it!!! :D :cool:

Bill Lewis
01-28-2006, 7:26 PM
Ok as long as we're doing the green tractor thing, I just took this shot. I too am all set for winter, when and if it arrives! 'Course I'd be happy if it skipped it too, 60+ deg today!

Anyone care to guess what's sitting beside the tractor?

John Miliunas
01-28-2006, 8:05 PM

Not a clue, but you sure sparked my interest!!! :D :cool:

Karl Laustrup
01-28-2006, 8:13 PM

Not really sure cause I haven't seen one in a looooong time, but I'm guessing a CORVAIR van body. If it is, I'd venture a guess that you have one of only a verrrrry few in existance.

Andy, hang on, I'm whittling some oars for you. ;) :D :eek:

Karl

Karl Laustrup
01-28-2006, 8:23 PM
Awww, mine is just there to cut the green stuff!

Great progress! Yeah, that doesn't look like enough lumber but, what the heck do I know??? With my carpentry "skills", I'd need at least half again as much to take care of the short cuts!!!:rolleyes:

I'm thinking you're gonna' need to sharpen the "blades" on that fancy "mower deck" before you start any trimming!!! :D :cool:

HALF AGAIN AS MUCH? Wow, I am impressed Spring. I'd need at least twice as much. :o

Brian from the GC was kind enough to point out that they're using guys that actually know what they're doing, so that pile will be sufficient. :cool: :D

Karl

Bill Lewis
01-28-2006, 8:35 PM
I'm guessing a CORVAIR van body. If it is, I'd venture a guess that you have one of only a verrrrry few in existance.Good Guess!:cool: '64 Corvair95, aka Corvan, Also really good in the snow.

Karl Laustrup
01-28-2006, 8:52 PM
Good Guess!:cool: '64 Corvair95, aka Corvan, Also really good in the snow.

Do I win the 2210????

Don't worry about shipping, I'll come get it and drive it home. :D :D

So where's the rest of it? That is just the body right?

Karl

Frank Chaffee
01-28-2006, 9:45 PM

Not really sure cause I haven't seen one in a looooong time, but I'm guessing a CORVAIR van body. If it is, I'd venture a guess that you have one of only a verrrrry few in existance.Karl
I think Karl is right about that being a Corvair van. You can see the louvers on the side of the rear engine compartment. Corvair was the first rear engine car in my memory produced in this country… and Toronado the first front wheel drive car.
Frank

Bill Lewis
01-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Do I win the 2210???? Don't worry about shipping, I'll come get it and drive it home. :D :D So where's the rest of it? That is just the body right? Karl
Well Here's the rest of the Corvair, It's pretty complete, I bought it back in '80, did most of the restoration work back in the late '80's, then it's been in storage mostly for the last 6 years. As soon as I get the barn built, I'd like to get it back on the road.