PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Use This Plywood?

Derek Arita
01-20-2023, 10:59 AM
I'm seeing the stuff for the first time on FB and wonder if anyone has experience with it?

https://i.imgur.com/IVmoYXi.png

Lee Schierer
01-20-2023, 11:01 AM
It used to be popular for making tool/knife handles and other turned items.

Michael Burnside
01-20-2023, 11:10 AM
Link? I can't tell much from the picture taken from your phone. Looks like MDF ply, but not sure what the veneers are. Also interesting that plywood and Gwyneth Paltrow come up on the same page ;)

John K Jordan
01-20-2023, 11:42 AM
I'm seeing the stuff for the first time on FB and wonder if anyone has experience with it?

https://i.imgur.com/IVmoYXi.png

Is that SpectraPly or similar, made if I remember, with died birch veneers? Some copycats use y.poplar veneers. How thick is it, what are the other dimensions available? SpectraPly can be relatively expensive - what is the cost per given sizes of what you found? (I don't do Faceboook)

What do you plan to use it on. I can imagine some uses having less visual impact than others.

I've used spectraply for wood turnings. Can be interesting for handles, bottle stoppers, and other small things.

The bottom of this picture shows a couple of wands made with it. I cut the blanks on a angle to get the patterns shown, quite a different look than with the axis down aligned with the veneer. I made these over 15 years ago.

And the two green/blue/orange two-part finger tops at the right and center of this photo (with white holly handles/tips) are made from the stuff.

JKJ

Dave Sabo
01-20-2023, 12:08 PM
can't imagining that being what most would call "affordable plywood "

Keegan Shields
01-20-2023, 1:02 PM
My guess is that "Clever Home Improvement" is pulling the old bait and switch :)

That colored plywood picture is meant to catch your eye.

Jim Becker
01-20-2023, 1:22 PM
can't imagining that being what most would call "affordable plywood "
I was thinking the same thing...there's no way that colored layer stuff is going to be "affordable" in the context that most folks would expect! That said, it's pretty interesting looking stuff for projects that celebrate visible edges.

Richard Coers
01-20-2023, 2:07 PM
Click bait on Facebook. I have used dyed and laminated products from Cousteau.

Earl McLain
01-20-2023, 2:43 PM
Make that Cousineau Wood Products. Neat stuff in the right applications. I like it in bottle stoppers and handles. For my taste, pens are too small to let the variations show.
Earl

Richard Coers
01-20-2023, 5:29 PM
Make that Cousineau Wood Products. Neat stuff in the right applications. I like it in bottle stoppers and handles. For my taste, pens are too small to let the variations show.
Earl
Thanks for the correction Earl, I should have done a quick Google.

Derek Arita
01-20-2023, 6:00 PM
Richard, those are beautiful.