PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some travel tips, SC/TN/KY/WV

Michael Drew
01-19-2023, 1:25 PM
I know quite a few Creekers live in this part of the county. Hoping to solicit your sage advise. :)

We will be spending a couple weeks this March travelling around this part of the country. Neither of us has spent time here. My GF has a work thing in Charlestown SC, so I'll meet her there. We'll spend a couple days in that city, then head to Myrtle Beach for a couple days. I have not ever been to either of these cities, but have always wanted to visit and check them out. After that, we plan to head west, and spend about ten days cruising around in a rental car, no solid plans of yet. I want to see this country, and I've also been contemplating relocating somewhere else for my retirement years. TN/KY/WV are my list of places to check out before I commit. TN is an obvious choice, and is often referenced as a great state to relocate to, while KY and WV not so much. But, I see pictures and video of KY and WV and both states look beautiful to me.

We plan to spend a couple days in Nashville, because, we might as well...... Seems dumb to not. I also want to see the town of Franklin. Heard to much about it to not spend some time there. It's way to spendy to actually move to, but a visit is definitely on the list. We also like a good whiskey, so we plan to spend two or three days visiting distilleries around Louisville KY.

I would be quite interested to spend some time getting to appreciate these states, the culture, people, scenery, food etc. And if there are any "must see/experience" places to visit, please share. I'm OK with being a tourist.

Lisa Starr
01-19-2023, 2:04 PM
While Nashville is certainly interesting and enjoyable, I'd encourage you to also spend some time in or around Chattanooga. It is historically significant both in the Civil War era and the Train era. Additionally, we really enjoyed the river walk and aquarium. I'd also encourage you to visit the mountain portion of North Carolina if you have time, as it is very beautiful and much different than the eastern part.

John M Wilson
01-19-2023, 3:53 PM
I also want to see the town of Franklin.

My wife & I have lived in Franklin for 30-some years, so I may be able to answer a few questions. Our downtown is very walkable, with lots of small shops (that I never visit, since I am not their target market :D). There is plenty of Civil War history here, if that is your bag. Some of our best scenery is just west of town, on the Natchez Trace, or in Leiper's Fork (which also has a pretty cool distillery.)

Good luck on your travels!

Maurice Mcmurry
01-19-2023, 4:19 PM
+1 for the Natchez Trace parkway. The arboretum at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville is memorable. When we drive to see the kids Our 1/2 way stop is Carter Caves State park & resort in KY. It is more to our liking than a hotel by the highway, it's not far from Whiskey country. I think you will enjoy yourselves!

Michael Drew
01-19-2023, 4:53 PM
While Nashville is certainly interesting and enjoyable, I'd encourage you to also spend some time in or around Chattanooga. It is historically significant both in the Civil War era and the Train era. Additionally, we really enjoyed the river walk and aquarium. I'd also encourage you to visit the mountain portion of North Carolina if you have time, as it is very beautiful and much different than the eastern part.

Thanks Lisa. Chattanooga is also on the route. I forgot to mention it. I am literally dropping pins on Google Maps now, picking a route for the trip. To travel though the mountains of SC, from Myrtle Beach, which highway would you suggest? I am assuming they are west? Do you have a favorite town to stay overnight at?

I should also mention I am not a 'city guy'. Although, I do like to visit them, so long as I can escape them after I've had enough......

Michael Drew
01-19-2023, 4:58 PM
My wife & I have lived in Franklin for 30-some years, so I may be able to answer a few questions. Our downtown is very walkable, with lots of small shops (that I never visit, since I am not their target market :D). There is plenty of Civil War history here, if that is your bag. Some of our best scenery is just west of town, on the Natchez Trace, or in Leiper's Fork (which also has a pretty cool distillery.)

Good luck on your travels!

Thanks. Natchez Trace pinned..... I wouldn't say I'm all that into the civil war. I have studied it, a lot. I would say I'm more generally interested in history, than a particular time or event. I find it all fascinating. I friend of mine just wont stop talking about Franklin, and how much she likes that area.

+1 for the Natchez Trace parkway. The arboretum at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville is memorable. When we drive to see the kids Our 1/2 way stop is Carter Caves State park & resort in KY. It is more to our liking than a hotel by the highway, it's not far from Whiskey country. I think you will enjoy yourselves!

Kentucky has caves? I did not realize this.

Jerry Bruette
01-19-2023, 5:01 PM
Don't know if you get into bungee jumping, and even if you don't, the New River Gorge Bridge is pretty neat. They have a really nice interpretive center telling the story of how and why it was built.

Howard Garner
01-19-2023, 6:01 PM
After Charleston and Myrtled Beach, See the better part of South Carolina.
Head north on I-26 and stop in Greenville, SC. We do have 4 seasons, winter is mostly rain.
Great downtown, close to the mountains and hiking
Then up to the Ashville NC area, then head west on I-40 for the rest of your trip

Howard Garner

Karl Loeblein
01-19-2023, 10:21 PM

Kentucky has caves? I did not realize this.

Actually KY has the worlds longest cave with over 400 miles explored so far. Although it’s not the prettiest cave I’ve seen.

https://www.discovery.com/exploration/longest-cave-system

TN has no state income tax, but it makes up for that with a higher sales tax. Live near state border could allow you to cross state lines to save on sales tax for big items though.

William Lessenberry
01-20-2023, 12:52 AM
If you're a car guy, the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green is really :cool:. Was there just before the cave-in and I heard from a buddy that it's even better since they fixed it.
BillL

ChrisA Edwards
01-20-2023, 10:19 AM
Yes they have a section over the cave in, with a glass floor, so you can walk over it and look down at a couple of cars they did not pull out of the sink hole.

Lee Schierer
01-20-2023, 10:53 AM
In Charleston, be sure to go to the City Market, Fort Sumpter, Rainbow Row, and Magnolia Plantation and Gardens. Look for the earthquake bolts on the older homes in down town Charleston. Be sure to purchase some of the Grass Baskets in Charleston area. Folly Beach and Sullivans Island are also nice places to tour. Sample some Low country food, best eaten in the warm familiarity of someone's home, but some restaurants are pretty good. It's centered around large, one-pot meals like gumbos, catfish stew, shrimp and grits, benne-oyster soup, and seafood boils.

If you are interested in Trains take a look at the Cass Scenic RR (https://mountainrailwv.com/) in Elkins, WV. They have several Shay locomotives that are still operating.

Tom M King
01-20-2023, 12:11 PM
With a limited time trip, of the beaches I've been to and want to go to, I can't think of a single one ranked below Myrtle Beach. My Wife's Sister owns a place there, and they love it, but it's not for us. They like Commercial crowded places, and feel scared driving around the dark country here at night. I'm more scared of driving around in a city in New Jersey where they live at night. Different strokes.

Keith Outten
01-20-2023, 12:11 PM
Wild and Wonderful West Virginia

If you decide to visit West Virginia you can experience the mountains best by renting a UTV and ride the Hatfield McCoy Trails. It's an all-day roller coaster ride with over 1000 miles of trails in the mountains. Beautiful country and friendly people. You can join a group of riders by connecting with any one of several guides who provide an all-day guided tour. You will travel though the creeks and rivers, climb steep trails to areas you will never see in a car. There must be hundreds of trail exits into small towns that you can ride a UTV on the public roads to get fuel and the best food you ever enjoyed.

Warning, if you visit the Hatfield McCoy trails once you will get the fever and soon own a UTV so you can travel back to WV several times each year like I have over the last seven years.

John K Jordan
01-20-2023, 12:35 PM
...TN is an obvious choice, and is often referenced as a great state to relocate to, while KY and WV not so much. But, I see pictures and video of KY and WV and both states look beautiful to me. ...

I've spent a lot of time in KY and TN (lived here for over 50 years) and some in WV. You can find wonderfully beautiful places in all of those states. I absolutely love TN. I could write a blog on the advantages but just a few points about TN.

There are also many significant places worth visiting, too many to list here, and some depending on the things you enjoy. For example Nashville has a full-scale reproduction of the Parthenon, well worth the visit IMO. Chattanooga is worth spending a few days for some of the historical sites, aquarium, museums, views from the mountain.

In past years I've written much more about this area to some looking for a place to move to. Two of those that I know of packed up and moved here and told me years later it was a great decision.

A FEW POSITIVES
Cost of living is low.

No state income tax or wheel tax.

Land and housing still available at reasonable prices, especially if you get out in the country a bit. (20 years ago I bought a 27acre property with timberframe house, barn, etc for less than a house in the suburbs or at the fringes of the cities at the time. It's a relatively secluded area but still 10 minutes from grocery, drug store, hardware, farmer's coop, 6 miles from a Walmart and the I-75 interstate.

East TN is a hotbed of technology, manufacturing, education, and culture with museums, craft schools, orchestra, playhouses, the Oak Ridge National Lab, and far more. Some of the schools are among the best in the country. Plenty of live music every week, jazz, classical, rock, country, folk, more. I have a friend that can give you details of more places to see/visit/here than you could do in a year of visits.

Outdoor activities: the Great Smoky Mtn nation park, many lakes for fishing/water sports, etc, lots of sports (football, etc) if you like that sort of thing. Incredibly opportunities for driving in the undeveloped wooded wilderness, regular car or 4WD. Hiking trails everywhere (including the Appalachian Trail) You are almost guaranteed to see wildlife. Many photo opportunities.

Lots of woodworking/woodturning opportunities: clubs, guilds, etc.

This part of the country (and nearby states) is saturated with hardwoods and almost all of it can be had for free for a bit of work. Many sawmills including one behind my barn.

We live in East TN near Knoxville. This location is central to much of the eastern US. From here in one reasonable day I can drive to the Atlantic coast, to places in Ohio, PA, Maryland, DC, Florida, Alabama, etc. Very close to Asheville, a center for culture, major galleries. Just 4 hrs from Atlanta for more stuff. Practically down the road from Lexington KY and Cincinnati.

There are excellent major medical facilities.

Low crime rates (outside of an exception in a couple of major metro area)

Protected by the mountain ridges, this area is mostly bypassed by the storms that are increasingly terrorizing much of the country. Effects of hurricanes are minimal, a tornado is rare.

The climate is moderate, not Southern California but not often very hot or very cold for more than a few days. Snow is usually light and gone in a day or two. Humidity can be high in the summer but not as intense as some areas further south. Some climate averages for this location: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/@z-us-37716/climate

There are bad eggs everywhere, but the large majority of the people are friendly and help each other with problems (regardless of their political affiliation!)

SOME NOT-SO-POSITIVES
The major cities are growing rapidly and getting pretty crowded. Knoxville itself has traffic jams at certain times of the days. The areas in and around Nashville and Chattanooga are what I consider impassible at times. I won't even talk about Memphis.

People from all over the country are discovering TN and buying property and moving here, many from the west where to escape the fires and storms, some from further south and a bunch from the freezing north. If interested in moving, don't wait too long! Prices have come down recently but interest rates are up, of course, great if you have cash to spend.

If you have time look me up and I'll show you my little paradise and point to some local places to see. I'm about 30 minutes north of Knoxville, depending on how fast you drive.

JKJ

Michael Drew
01-20-2023, 1:35 PM
I sure do appreciate the input! Glad I asked. I am taking notes and putting together a plan. Wish I had more than two weeks......

It was about a year ago I asked about South Dakota, and in that thread, I heard a lot about Tenn. So much that I had plans to visit the area. Well that plan morphed into a two week trip in Maine. I really enjoyed Maine, especially the middle and upper coastal area, but feel like I still need to explore this area of the country before committing. Plus, Maine is not a tax / retirement friendly state.

Wherever I end up relocating to, property on water, or at minimum - a water view, will be a priority. Ocean, lake, river - in that order of preference. I also like trees, mountains, green spaces, so that's the things I'll be looking for.

Michael Drew
01-20-2023, 1:41 PM
With a limited time trip, of the beaches I've been to and want to go to, I can't think of a single one ranked below Myrtle Beach. My Wife's Sister owns a place there, and they love it, but it's not for us. They like Commercial crowded places, and feel scared driving around the dark country here at night. I'm more scared of driving around in a city in New Jersey where they live at night. Different strokes.

Good input. I might just drive through the area then. I have a coworker that convinced me to visit Myrtle Beach. I was stationed in Virginia Beach, and have no desire to ever return.... I'm with you on the urban/rural point of view. Even in Alaska, there is more to be concerned about in some areas of Anchorage, than wandering about the bush..... I'd rather try to reason with a brown bear than punks with guns.

Tom M King
01-20-2023, 2:00 PM
Myrtle Beach is just a bigger, flashier version of Virginia Beach. Much bigger, flashier, and more tacky.

I forgot about going to Atlantic City, NJ though.

Mel Fulks
01-20-2023, 2:12 PM
I live in Virginia . Virginia Beach places can be rude. Probably because of kids tearing up stuff. The Carolinas have wonderful, kind people
running the Inns , Hotels ,and Restaurants. Perhaps good service and sincere kindness is a good business plan.

Ronald Blue
01-20-2023, 7:47 PM
You've already had lot's of advice. Lee is correct that there is more than enough to see at Charleston. Old plantation homes and more. So much history there. Patriot Point has a WW II battleship, submarine, and more. Going inland and north I know Asheville was mentioned but I didn't see the Biltmore. That is an amazing piece of architecture and it's still owned and operated by the Vanderbilts. I'm like Tom, Myrtle Beach doesn't impress me in the slightest. The Corvette museum is indeed awesome. Lot's of history of the beast there. Saw people taking delivery of their new C8's while there. Mammoth Cave National Park is close by also. Enjoy yourself and let us know what all you do take in there.

John K Jordan
01-20-2023, 9:47 PM
...I'm like Tom, Myrtle Beach doesn't impress me in the slightest. ...

Same here. The drive to Myrtle Beach from here is a lot shorter than to the Outer Banks so we've gone several times. I can barely stand it. I do like several areas north and especially south far more than the main tourist attraction.

We've been going to the Outer Banks nearly every year since our oldest son was 7 and he's 50 now! We usually stay around Avon, kind of central for my interests. I like the beach access with 4WD, the incredible wildlife, and the surf fishing.

There are beaches in the national park area accessible only by foot but once on the beach you may not see another person all day.

JKJ

John K Jordan
01-20-2023, 10:25 PM
Wherever I end up relocating to, property on water, or at minimum - a water view, will be a priority. Ocean, lake, river - in that order of preference. I also like trees, mountains, green spaces, so that's the things I'll be looking for.

TN does have a bunch of large lakes formed by dams which created planty of lakefront and lakeview property. It's usually a bit pricey! There are lots of mountain/hilly areas in the east (and in Western NC) with large streams and babbling brooks. Lots of rivers and river property, some fed by dams which eliminates seasonal flooding. The closest to us is the Clinch River fed from Norris lake (53 square miles) and dam, a trout fishing paradise plus canoeing, other boating. The Clinch flows into Melton Lake then past Melton Dam it flows eventually into the Tennessee River, then to more lakes and dams. There are a bunch of rivers/creeks that support whitewater sports (I used to be a kayaking maniac).

Property along a river is sometimes cheaper than the lakefront lots but the scenery can be outstanding. This is a view of the Clinch river from my drone. The circle is a riverfront lot we sold recently, near the end of an island.

This is what late fall/early winter (Nov/Dec) looks like around here. Everything looks better in the spring/summer when the trees are green!!

Of course water "view" can be a LOT cheaper than water front property!

JKJ

Warren Lake
01-20-2023, 10:45 PM
picked up a wagon in Hilton Head. Went to Savannah, Beaufort, Charleston and Asherville on the way home. Asherville has a little home called Biltmore. The whole story of that place is pretty staggering railway line and sawmill on the property and and. Saw lots of nice craftsmanship in every place. Depending on the area ive seen more woodwork on homes in the US than anywhere else.

Curt Harms
01-21-2023, 9:44 AM
You've already had lot's of advice. Lee is correct that there is more than enough to see at Charleston. Old plantation homes and more. So much history there. Patriot Point has a WW II battleship, submarine, and more. Going inland and north I know Asheville was mentioned but I didn't see the Biltmore. That is an amazing piece of architecture and it's still owned and operated by the Vanderbilts. I'm like Tom, Myrtle Beach doesn't impress me in the slightest. The Corvette museum is indeed awesome. Lot's of history of the beast there. Saw people taking delivery of their new C8's while there. Mammoth Cave National Park is close by also. Enjoy yourself and let us know what all you do take in there.

It's been several years since I was in Charleston but was impressed by the restorations. Charleston was hit by a hurricane that did significant damage to antebellum historical structures. The work done to restore them seemed top notch.

Maurice Mcmurry
01-21-2023, 11:18 AM
I want to visit Brookgreen Gardens in the Myrtle Beach area. We love the Outer banks as well, Kill Devil Hills and the Wright Brothers Memorial are probably way too far away. Duke Gardens in Durham NC. is a lovely place... The whole area is appealing. Our Son in Durham NC and Daughter in Brunswick GA wonder what we are waiting for?

Michael Drew
01-21-2023, 11:35 AM
Thanks again for all the great help, folks! Myrle beach is off the list. We'll stay in Charlestown a day or two longer with that deletion..... (I've always wanted to explore Charlestown).

Bowling Green vette plant is a site I do want to visit, but was intentionally ignoring the fact that I'll be in the neighborhood, and could easily swing a tour.....I need to get rid of the vette I have now, not buy a new one, and the new Z06 is calling to me, and the new E-ray even more.... Not sure if I can resist the urge of buying one, if I go to the plant.

Thanks for the reminder of Biltmore! That's been a place I want to see for years. The castle, grounds, and vineyard too. Staying for a night in the main house would be fun.

John, thanks for the real-estate info. If there a route to take that might navigate through areas/towns along a decent sized lake, what might that be? I know property on the water usually has a premium costs, but the next home is going to be my last...... The picture of land you sold is nice. I think I'd prefer a place a bit further off a main road, but I also don't want to drive too far down a gravel road either.

Tom M King
01-21-2023, 11:51 AM
Biltmore is absolutely worth it. A lot of people are put off by the idea of such extravagance spent on a house, but it gave a Lot of people good paychecks, and very good training.

If we hadn't bought what waterfront property we did 45 years ago, we'd be limited to about a half acre now. I put everything I had in it when I was 27.

Warren Lake
01-21-2023, 1:42 PM
1000 craftsman from Europe spent six years building it. Thats a pretty rare thing.

Tom M King
01-21-2023, 3:14 PM
Still employing a lot now too.

https://www.dw.com/en/the-business-of-owning-americas-biggest-home/a-48647671

Michael Drew
01-22-2023, 12:02 PM
Anyone actually stayed at one of the Biltmore hotels on the property? Ate dinner at the Inn? Dress code recommends a jacket/slacks. We were not really planning to pack much and stay nimble this vacation. But if the dinner is worth it, and we're there.... might as well.

Rich Konopka
01-25-2023, 7:42 AM
We did a trip to Nashville, Kentucky, and Asheville. My favorite was the Bourbon trail in Kentucky. The drive into Woodford Reserve has to be one of the most memorable and beautiful I have seen. The horse farms are awesome.

Ole Anderson
01-25-2023, 10:01 AM
Two stops we enjoyed immensely: Ruby Falls cave at Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga and taking the New River Gorge bridge walk on the catwalk 25' below the bridge deck.

Michael Drew
01-30-2023, 10:37 PM
I'm pondering whether or not to stay overnight at Gatlinburg and wander about a bit. We are staying two nights at Asheville. Spend a few hours at that little cabin mentioned earlier. Head down to Chattanooga for a couple nights. Gatlinburg seems a bit touristy, but kinda cool too. What do ya'll think?

John K Jordan
01-31-2023, 12:35 AM
I'm pondering whether or not to stay overnight at Gatlinburg and wander about a bit. We are staying two nights at Asheville. Spend a few hours at that little cabin mentioned earlier. Head down to Chattanooga for a couple nights. Gatlinburg seems a bit touristy, but kinda cool too. What do ya'll think?

You can drive through a lot of the Great Smoky mountains near Gatlinburg and get away from the tourist attractions. I don't know what it's like this time of year, probably not bad, but the whole area can be horrible at times, especially Pigeon Forge. Look at the maps, you can bypass a lot. I'd rather drive the Cades Cove loop than through Pigeon Forge. The Foothills Parkway is also nice with lots of scenic pulloffs.

Rich Konopka
01-31-2023, 2:24 PM
You can drive through a lot of the Great Smoky mountains near Gatlinburg and get away from the tourist attractions. I don't know what it's like this time of year, probably not bad, but the whole area can be horrible at times, especially Pigeon Forge. Look at the maps, you can bypass a lot. I'd rather drive the Cades Cove loop than through Pigeon Forge. The Foothills Parkway is also nice with lots of scenic pulloffs.

I did Cades Cove back in November on Tuesday morning and it was stop and go crowded for 11miles. Although its a beautiful drive it’s not worth it. I recommend the drive through the smokies.

John K Jordan
01-31-2023, 5:05 PM
I did Cades Cove back in November on Tuesday morning and it was stop and go crowded for 11miles. Although its a beautiful drive it’s not worth it. I recommend the drive through the smokies.

Bummer Maybe it’s hit and miss. For me more times than not there was little traffic. Maybe just lucky, or maybe it’s gotten worse recently. However of it does look crowded I tend to cut across the Sparks lane shortcut and go somewhere else.

I’ve seen more black bears and bear cubs in and around Cades Cove than anywhere i’ve been. (I don’t drive around the loop then leave but spend most of the time on the trails or cross country through the woods, or just sitting quietly and watching.) I watched a red wolf stalking a deer once. Great place for nature photography. I first saw those three young bears when they were tiny cubs - got some interesting video then of them playing.

494540 494530 494532

For those who like the outdoors the Catoosa Wildlife Management Area is one of my favorite spots. 82,000 acres of land undeveloped except for gravel roads and a few small bridges over creeks. I’ve seen zillions of deer, wild boar, turkey, bobcat, many hawks and such. Hiking, biking, whitewater, camping by permit. Catoosa is managed for hunting but wide open to the public except for the few scheduled big game hunts. Lots of trails, easy access for cars or 4-wheelers. I usually access it from the Wartburg end.

The Big South Fork and Daniel Boone Nat Forest to the north are other great areas to explore. Or the Virgin Falls St Nat Area - an rasy 5 mile hike thanks you too a big waterfall that comes out of a cave at the top and goes back into the ground at the bottom; you pass several other waterfalls along the trail. I haven’t been there in years but it’s on my list to go this spring.

Michael Drew
01-31-2023, 10:47 PM
Thanks again for the input fellas.

My thoughts around Gatlinburg, was to be close to the smokies, then we could just take a drive or quick hike late morning/early afternoon, and then wander around the downtown area that evening/night. Hit the road the following day towards Chattanooga. So, for as far as a fun town to overnight, would you pick Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge?

I've realized that two weeks is not nearly enough time to see and visit all the places I want to see, so this trip has turned into a kind of recon mission. If I find "that spot", then I'll make a second trip and drag a realtor around with me.

John K Jordan
01-31-2023, 11:42 PM
...for as far as a fun town to overnight, would you pick Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge?

Maybe it depends on your preference for fun. Me, I'd far rather walk around Gatlinburg.

Also, if you like things such as a variety of crafts, maybe you could squeeze in a visit at Arrowmont school: https://www.arrowmont.org/visit/

From Gatlinburg you are extremely close to the Smoky Mtns Sugerland Visitors Center and from there several nice drives, say up the mountain to Newfound Gap (good view if the weather is nice) or out along the Little River Gorge. The visitor's center has maps and ideas for things to see, hikes, etc. The Appalachian Trail crosses near the parking lot at Newfound Gap at the top of the mountain. You can at least walk a few feet out so you can say you've been on the trail :) (if you haven't already!)

Off topic: the Little River Gorge road is where I saw a group (extended family?) of wild boar at 2am one summer night, running across the road. Boar run in a long line, all the adults in the front and the little ones behind - I've seen this twice in TN, once in the daytime.

Totally off off topic: the parking lot at Newfound Gap is where I set up my telescopes and shot a photo of Halley's Comet in 1986. I aligned the negatives of two shots to show how much the comet moved in 24 hours. Made the front page of the Oak Ridge newspaper.

JKJ

Michael Drew
04-05-2023, 8:08 PM
Trip recap;

I flew into Charleston SC, and after an hour of being sent in multiple directions to find my rental car, was able to navigate to our hotel. We stayed downtown at the Hyatt House. It’s a nice hotel, and in a good location on King Street. Learned real quick that parking in Charlestown is a PITA, and expensive. The hotel has a great roof top bar, and after 18 hours of travel, an Old Fashion while watched the sun set hit the spot. We wandered about the city on foot mostly, walked the Battery area, up/down a few streets admiring the old mansions. One block was filled with millennials taking selfies in front of colorful houses. I don’t get the attraction, but whatever…. Millennials….. I stopped trying to figure that generation out years ago. The city market was interesting. I almost bought a hand made grass basket, but the one I wanted was about $500, so we kept walking. Amazing craftsmanship though. Took a drive north to Sullivan’s Island and the Isle of Palms. Pretty area. If I only had a few million sitting around to spend on a beach house….. We also took a tour through the Boone Hall plantation. I have mixed thoughts about that ‘tour’.

After Charlestown, we travelled to Ashville NC, stopping at the DuPont State Forest and hiked a bit. Found the falls where the Last of the Mohicans was filmed. Very pretty country. Asheville is a quirky city. It reminded me of Portland OR – 15 years ago. Quirky, but we liked it. But I also like breweries, good food, arts and entertainment, and this city has plenty of those. We did spend half a day at the Biltmore estate and took the tour through the house the following day. Amazing, simply amazing. The craftmanship is simply on a level you don’t see anymore. I bet this place is something special around the Christmas holidays. I’d like to go back.

After Ashville, we plugged Gatlinburg into the GPS, and it decided to find every back country, one lane road it could. I think I have a good idea what a holler is now. Gatlinburg is cool. Yah, it’s very touristy, but most of the ‘tourists’ live within a day’s drive, so are they really ‘tourists’? Most of the folks we ended up talking to were just visiting with their family for a long weekend. We stayed at the Margaritaville resort, and this hotel was probably the nicest one we stayed at our entire trip. The rooms were huge, well thought out, comfortable – and not stupid expensive.

From Gatlinburg, we took route 441 over the Smokies to Cherokee, then west to Chattanooga. Despite the trees still showing more grey then green, the drive across the gap was quite enjoyable. I can imagine it’s pretty country when the greenery returns, and even prettier in the fall when the leaves change color. We took a little detour to Lynchburg TN and toured the Jack Daniels distillery. Lynchburg sure was a nice area.

In Chattanooga, we stayed downtown at the Read House hotel. It has been restored and quite the place. 20’s vibe to it. Very comfortable, great staff, etc. I love these old hotels. We visited the aquarium, walked across the river on the Walnut St Bridge, toured Ruby Falls and just walked around the downtown part of the city. Ruby Falls was pretty cool, even though not very adventurous. Hard to describe a 100’ waterfall inside a cavern. Worth doing, once.

Next was a trip to Nashville. We stopped in Franklin and just wandered around the historic downtown for a few hours. Seen a 400K Lambo parked on the street, with an Audi R8 behind it. That’s probably a pretty good indicator what the average income is of Franklin residents. Sure is a cool town though. I could see myself living here, if I could afford it that is……

Nashville…..I dunno what to say about that city. We walked from our hotel on the west end of Broadway down to the east side, through the Saturday evening madness and back. It must have been a spring break weekend. The vast majority of folks were drunk college age girls wearing furry cowboy hats, Chinese cowboy boots with tassels and Daisy Duke shorts or sequined dresses. Way too friggin loud for me. Too crowded. Too commercial. That box now has an X in it, and I have no desire to ever return.

We drove up to Bowling Green and toured the Vette Factory. Dammit. Now I want a new Z06.

The next several days/nights we stayed in Bourbon country. Toured 6 distilleries, hunted for unique bourbons and took a few drives through horse country. Really liked the Prospect suburb of Louisville. Looks expensive though. We had dinner at Barn 8. It is literally an old horse barn in the middle of a horse farm turned into a restaurant. The owner built a very elaborate walking trail through a drainage area of the farm. The walkway is a very solid wood constructed path with handrails and benches. There are projectors and speakers located at various points along the walk that generate a nice light show on the foliage. Serious investment that I'm surprised they don't charge a fee for.

My take always from this trip….. First thing is that people in this part of the country are genially nice, friendly, helpful. Rarely did we ever feel uncomfortable or angry because someone was being a jerk. Secondly, I have been living in the least populated state in the US for so long now, that all four of these states just felt crowded to me. Even rural areas. You don’t need to drive far to find a stop light or get stuck in traffic. Not sure if I could get used to this. I also wish we would have spent more time around Knoxville and Lexington. I think I need to make another trip and focus more on the East side of both states before I give up on either TN or KY. I’ll probably plan another trip when it’s hot and humid, to figure out if it’s just too much for me.

Thanks for all the tips and help. Wish I would have had more time to see and experience all the suggestions. Two weeks was not enough time.

John M Wilson
04-06-2023, 10:28 AM
Next was a trip to Nashville. We stopped in Franklin and just wandered around the historic downtown for a few hours. Seen a 400K Lambo parked on the street, with an Audi R8 behind it. That’s probably a pretty good indicator what the average income is of Franklin residents. Sure is a cool town though. I could see myself living here, if I could afford it that is……

My particular solution to this is to move here 35 years ago :) There are quite a few of us late 80s/early 90s transplants who could never afford to move here today. Glad we got in while we could! The tough part is that it is very, very hard for our children to buy a house here.

By the way, the Lambos & other exotics are owned by newbies -- the actual "old money" folks had parked their pickup in the free parking lot behind the restaurants.

Nashville…..I dunno what to say about that city. We walked from our hotel on the west end of Broadway down to the east side, through the Saturday evening madness and back. It must have been a spring break weekend. The vast majority of folks were drunk college age girls wearing furry cowboy hats, Chinese cowboy boots with tassels and Daisy Duke shorts or sequined dresses. Way too friggin loud for me. Too crowded. Too commercial. That box now has an X in it, and I have no desire to ever return.

Those drunken girls (known locally as "WOO girls - as they continually shout 'WOO' as they travel in packs on the party busses and bicycle tavern contraptions) are, unfortunately, not a spring break thing. They are bridesmaid parties, which are here nearly all 52 weekends of the year. Not sure who started the tradition, but it's like having year-round cicadas: everyone complains about the noise, but there's not much you can do about it. Most of us locals just avoid the downtown area entirely, except for hockey games & music concerts.

It is a great place to live, overall, but like anywhere else, it comes with plusses and minuses.

Rich Konopka
04-06-2023, 9:07 PM
Bourbon and whiskey!! Whats not to like about that. It sounds like you had a great trip.