PDA

View Full Version : Festool TS 55 question

Jay Houghton
01-19-2023, 9:46 AM
I've had this saw for years but it gets just hobby use. The blade is leaving an annoying surface that seems to me out of character. I don't recall this as being a Festool trademark! It's almost as if the blade arbor is moving left and right from worn bearing so something. It also is making a funny noise....all symptoms of something going on.
I'm reluctant to send it back to Festool because I could probably buy a new one for what it would cost. Has anyone replaced the bearings on these before?

Many thanks for your advice.

Jay

Jamie Buxton
01-19-2023, 11:03 AM
Yeah, that’s not the cut quality I get from my TS55. For a less-expensive test, you might try buying a new blade.

Jay Houghton
01-19-2023, 11:06 AM
That was my first thought. I have a Tenryu rip and crosscut blade for it and the original blade, no difference. I think it's in the arbor somehow. I sent my Kapex back to Festool when the motor burned up and it was unbelievably expensive even though the armature was covered under warranty. I have a lot of Festool, including the big track saw, but it is like owning a Mercedes....

Jack Frederick
01-19-2023, 11:34 AM
Having had it for years I would suggest that youy contact Festool. There was a recall on the 55’s.

Michael Burnside
01-19-2023, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't speculate, I'd contact them to get an idea on the cost. With that, you can make an informed decision if you don't believe it is the blade.

Greg Quenneville
01-19-2023, 6:08 PM
Before you do anything else, can you check for axial free play on the arbor? Then check the blade for damaged teeth that may have gone undetected at the time of damage.

Finally, check the little cam adjusters on the underside of the saw that adjust the free play on the track. It might be possible that you have unwittingly got the saw slightly toed in or out of the cut.

What TS55 recall?

Greg

Christopher Stahl
01-19-2023, 6:49 PM
I would check the adapters that tighten the saw on the track. If it's not tight on the track it could be leaving an undesirable edge.

Brian Tymchak
01-19-2023, 10:19 PM
....What TS55 recall?

I had the same question in mind and looked it up. Doesn't appear to be relevant to the issue raised by the OP.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2013/Festool-Recalls-Plunge-Cut-Circular-Saw

Dave Sabo
01-20-2023, 2:02 PM
Your saw is toed-in or out most likely.

Could also be that the fit is sloppy on the guide rail and you’re toeing it when you push.

re-check guide rail fit per manual and have another go. Fixing the toed condition with the base itself is a bit more difficult. Could be your arbor but I seriously doubt it.

Jason White
02-04-2023, 9:10 AM
Try calibrating it.
https://youtu.be/K06-Wy-jWoY