PDA

View Full Version : Norm is Back !!

Rich Konopka
01-19-2023, 6:08 AM
It looks like they are officially and legitimately adding all of the New Yankee Workshops episodes to Youtube. Heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/@newyankeeworkshop

Enjoy!!

Jim Becker
01-19-2023, 9:34 AM
That will be a treasure trove for sure...getting the material in an easy to access place will allow a lot more folks to enjoy the material; some to reminisce and some to discover a resource that they may not have been exposed to because they may be young enough not to have seen the show on TV. It looks like they have three seasons loaded so far.

Curt Harms
01-19-2023, 10:59 AM
If they're going to load all the NYW episodes to Youtube, I wonder what that portends for the promised NewYankee.com. Will NewYankee.com become primarily a way to sell plans, books etc? Streaming existing content doesn't cost much but it costs something.

Jim Becker
01-19-2023, 9:14 PM
Streaming from a private site can cost a bundle to both host and provide bandwidth. (that's the primary reason that forums like this one do not permit direct upload of video files) Using YouTube can also be more cost effective and also provides better ways to monetize the content from viewing volume than can be done with a private site. Selling wares, however, is more cost effective on the dedicated site.

Rick Potter
01-20-2023, 3:51 AM
I watched it 'live' for most of the episodes. My wife would tape them on our VCR, and keep up a running log on what each show was covering. I was at work about half of the time it was on, and she rarely missed recording an episode.

In later days she watched each episode she had recorded for me, on VCR while re-recording it for me on DVD's, again making a log of what was what.

I have no idea how many hours of the show she watched for me, not to mention watching it again when I came home and watched it.

She's a keeper. She got a couple kitchens, and some furniture though. They were exactly what she wanted, down to drawer sizes. Took me a while though. Now I will lose sleep watching them after she goes to bed.

Thanks Norm and Russ

George Yetka
01-20-2023, 6:28 AM
I remember watching NYW with my dad. I wish more non-drama woodworking (or any hobby for that matter) shows were available on tv. Its hard to learn from any of the new shows thats probably why Youtube is so popular

Myles Moran
01-20-2023, 7:32 AM
Rick that brings back memories of learning how to set the VCR to auto-record. My childhood Saturday mornings were the router workshop, this old house, ask this old house and the new Yankee workshop.

Jim Becker
01-20-2023, 9:48 AM
It was interesting to see how the space has been maintained so pristinely during Morash's brief tour and to hear him say that Norm has stopped by occasionally to do something or bring/get something. Of course, the nice chair and potted palm was an "upgrade" to the set. LOL

Dave Sabo
01-20-2023, 12:22 PM
If they're going to load all the NYW episodes to Youtube, I wonder what that portends for the promised NewYankee.com. Will NewYankee.com become primarily a way to sell plans, books etc? Streaming existing content doesn't cost much but it costs something.

I think NYW was Norm - when he retired the show's days were numbered.

mike stenson
01-20-2023, 12:33 PM
I think the show wrapped before he retired from ToH. In any case, I had a ToH subscription for a while. I dropped it when they announced they were dropping NYW. I think between this, and The French Chef appearing on YouTube it seems that Russell has decided to share his legacy. It's a good choice IMO.

Cary Falk
01-20-2023, 12:41 PM
I wonder if it will bring the popularity of the biscuit jointer. I never watched Norm. I still have and use several biscuit jointers.

Jim Becker
01-20-2023, 1:11 PM
I think the show wrapped before he retired from ToH.
Yes, he retired from ToH just a few months ago and there was a tribute program to honor the occasion.

james manutes
01-20-2023, 2:46 PM
Another dedicated viewer , back in the day . What struck me seeing it today is the shop itself wasn't very big . I never had that thought then , but today it's " mid sized " by You Tube standards .

Michael Burnside
01-20-2023, 3:47 PM
I loved watching these when I was younger. I'll probably start watching this weekend as I'm curious if it will still be relevant. I worry my Domino, track saw and CNC might disown me for watching :p

Derek Meyer
01-20-2023, 5:26 PM
I used to watch NYW every Saturday when it was on. It was fun to watch his progression as a woodworker, going from using his radial arm saw to a tablesaw, and then adding tools like the wide belt sander and lathe. He may not have been the best woodworker, but he was easy to listen to and made me want to try making things, which in my mind makes him a pretty good teacher.

Randall J Cox
01-21-2023, 1:12 AM
I loved the show. Watched whenever I could. Couldn't stand the purists who thought of him as not a "real woodworker". Learned a lot from his shows. Randy

Curt Harms
01-21-2023, 9:25 AM
I loved the show. Watched whenever I could. Couldn't stand the purists who thought of him as not a "real woodworker". Learned a lot from his shows. Randy

Remember that he started out as a contractor, that's how he met Russell Morash. I expect his 'fine woodworking' skills developed somewhat as he did NYW over the years. Part of the reason NYW was successful IMO is that he/they selected projects that a moderately skilled hobbyist would not be intimidated by.

Dwayne Watt
01-21-2023, 9:58 AM
And if the claims were true, he was fast (efficient)! Two copies of each project in one week was the claim for the bulk of the projects. One prototype and one primarily made for the taping sequence. Of course most projects showed him starting with S4S lumber which certainly helps time-wise as opposed to cleaning up rough sawn lumber.
I watched most of the shows over the years and without a doubt I was inspired to make furniture as a result. And, yes, I still have my biscuit joiner. It still finds an occasional albeit rare use in the workshop.
Remember that he started out as a contractor, that's how he met Russell Morash. I expect his 'fine woodworking' skills developed somewhat as he did NYW over the years. Part of the reason NYW was successful IMO is that he/they selected projects that a moderately skilled hobbyist would not be intimidated by.

Earl McLain
01-21-2023, 10:43 AM
I watched a couple of season 1 episodes yesterday—video technology has come a long way, and I’m spoiled with 1080p!!

I did watch most Saturdays, and did (or tried) a lot of stuff I would not have, thanks to NYW and This Old House. My first house was built in 1913, the second in 1888, and the third (30 years and counting) in 1920. Both shows helped more than I know.

Dave Fitzgerald
01-21-2023, 11:58 AM
I watched Season 1, Episode 1, to see way back when. On the first shot where Norm was using the table saw, the minders - ever responsible and safety-minded - superimposed a message telling us that the blade guard was removed only for demonstration, and that you should never, ever use a table saw without having it in place. Problem was that Norm was cutting finger joints at the time. Try that with the guard on! Er, don't.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-22-2023, 11:12 AM
It's fun to read how he influenced you guys. Me too, I blame him for "lighting the fire" and getting me to a career that I actually enjoy. Back before interwebs, NYW and TOH were the only way that this old farm boy could see a little glimpse of the magic that building stuff with wood is.

michael langman
01-22-2023, 1:04 PM
Yeah,
Norm was just one of us guys that had to keep himself busy, building and learning.

Bill Conerly
01-23-2023, 2:00 AM
I wish YouTubers would have a prototype, like Norm always did, to help viewers understand the big picture behind every cut,

Ole Anderson
01-23-2023, 7:04 AM
He made that trestle table build look so easy...

Mikail Khan
01-23-2023, 6:00 PM
This is great news.

Thanks for the info.

MK

Jay Rasmussen
01-24-2023, 2:03 PM
Thanks Rich,
Great memories! I also used the VCR. It aired here on Saturday afternoons, my one time I could count on to be in the shop building something.

Ray Newman
01-24-2023, 6:22 PM
I never realized that the shop was that small. I wonder if there is a collection of outtakes somewhere showing the "bloopers"? That would be interesting to see....

Interesting that NYW will be on YouTube. Might interest a whole new generation of woodworkers.

Rod Sheridan
01-29-2023, 11:16 AM
I’m glad to hear that, I feel that Norm probably did more than anyone else, through Russell Morash to popularize woodworking than anyone I can think of.

I only wish that he never removed the guard from the saw, I think that “normalizes” it for many, no pun intended. When I’m teaching all guards are used, we all understand that the cutter is removing material whether we can see it or not.

I saw the tribute to Norm on This Old House, it was wonderful to see.

That said, I think I’ll get a mug of tea and watch one of his great episodes for nostalgia’s sake.

Thanks Norm, you’re a treasure…….Regards, Rod.

Jason White
01-30-2023, 11:50 AM
I worked with Norm at This Old House about 20 years ago and keep in touch with Russ (and Norm to a lesser extent). NYW is a very special place and I have fond memories of visiting there. I still have this poster that a friend there gave me while cleaning out his office.

Jim Becker
01-30-2023, 1:08 PM
That's a wonderful keepsake, Jason!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2023, 1:48 PM
I have a standalone 24'x30' workshop and several thousands of dollars worth of woodworking equipment because of Norm and NYW. I recorded his retirement special from TOH and haven't deleted it yet. I enjoy watching it periodically.

NYW was and is still, my preferred ww show because of his calm demeanor and simple explanations of how and why.

I will have to start viewing his videos again.

Dan Friedrichs
01-31-2023, 11:46 AM
Started watching those old episodes, again. How great to have them.

Something that struck me, though, is that he doesn't show much/any sanding (other than, say, sanding a glue joint). If building, say, a table, I'd typically sand the legs, rails, etc, prior to assembly (and this sanding takes a huge amount of time). Having "learned woodworking" from Norm, though, seeing him "skip" this made me question myself a bit: is he just not showing the sanding step, or is waiting to sand until assembly is complete common/possible/preferred?

Ray Newman
01-31-2023, 2:43 PM
"NYW was and is still, my preferred ww show because of his calm demeanor and simple explanations of how and why."

--Ken Fitzgerald

BINGO! Ya got that right.

Jack Frederick
01-31-2023, 4:02 PM
Norm got me into woodworking. I remember the outrage in the ltrs to the editor the month after he was on the cover of FWW. As I gaze across my workshop I can tell you that LN, Festool, Delta, Dewalt, Grizzly, etc and the many many suppliers and manuf have been thrilled with the show. Way to go Norm and thanks!