PDA

View Full Version : News from LN on upcoming productions

John Keeton
01-18-2023, 4:38 PM
I emailed LN to inquire about an estimated timeline on the No. 1 and 2 iron body planes and got this reply from Nils Lindquist - "We are currently working on No.1, No. 2, and No. 3 in Iron. I do not have an exact lead time for when that will be right now, but we're hoping to have them ready relatively soon. No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 in Bronze will most likely be 6 months to a year out."

I was surprised to see that they intend to again make available the No. 1 and 2 in bronze. From previous communication I knew the No. 3 bronze was on the "to do" list. It sounds like they are still trying to iron out some casting issues with the bronze bodies.

Thomas Crawford
01-18-2023, 5:17 PM
Nice update, I'm hoping to catch a #2 if I can get one. I assume this will be a limited run.

Keegan Shields
01-18-2023, 9:37 PM
I just picked up a LN #2 from the classifieds and man is it useful. I wasn稚 sure I壇 need it but I find myself reaching for it often. No fear of tear out since it has a chip breaker. It is about as small a bench plane as I can manage to hold.

Dave Zellers
01-19-2023, 3:13 AM
...bronze bodies.

You're going to get some search hits from the surfing crowd. :)

Ray Newman
01-19-2023, 3:43 PM
Be still heart and I best better pay off the credit card!! An iron #2 and #3, Yowzah!!!

jeff vanek
01-22-2023, 8:21 PM
Looking forward to them !

Ben Grefe
01-26-2023, 5:33 PM
I知 pleasantly surprised/ shocked to hear they池e coming out with a bronze 1 and 2. I figured those were gone for good.

Any word if they値l come out with a bronze 4 1/2 as well?

John Keeton
01-26-2023, 6:48 PM
Ben, I think the motivation for bronze is to add weight to smaller planes. I have no information either way, not have I seen any comments otherwise, but I doubt the 4 1/2 would be produced in bronze given its heft in iron.

Clifford McGuire
01-26-2023, 7:51 PM
Fingers crossed. I've been waiting for a #3 for a couple years, it seems.

I'll take whatever is offered first, which sounds like iron.

Rod Wolfy
01-31-2023, 8:04 AM
They did once make a bronze 4 1/2. It was their 25th Anniversary plane & they said they would never make them again. I was able to procure one from Australia. Hand signed by Thomas. Last one I saw a few years ago, was around $2k on CL.

Ben Grefe
07-04-2023, 2:02 AM
Following up here as it's been about a year. Any word on availability of the non-Core tools from LN? Somebody somewhere mentioned they're building an in-house foundry. Any news on that?

Haitham Jaber
07-04-2023, 4:49 AM
Hi folks,

I never put my hand on a no.3
How useful it is in the shop? My hands fit perfectly in a no.4 (LN) but on the website they say
the no.3 is good for addressing smaller areas. Some of you have used it already?
On the converse, I've read here and there that no.1 and 2 are less useful... Do you agree? Hope I'm not off topic

Thanks,
Haisam

Rob Luter
07-04-2023, 6:20 AM
Hi folks,

How useful it is in the shop? My hands fit perfectly in a no.4 (LN) but on the website they say
the no.3 is good for addressing smaller areas. Some of you have used it already?
On the converse, I've read here and there that no.1 and 2 are less useful... Do you agree? Hope I'm not off topic

Thanks,
Haisam

I purchased a LN #3 a few months ago to replace a vintage Stanley. I find it to be a useful size when working both on small areas and on smaller scale project components like box sides. It lives up to its reputation as a small nimble smoother, and is much lighter than my Bronze #4.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52712874653_4d38a70f2b_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52711875927_40977cda9b_b.jpg

Haitham Jaber
07-04-2023, 7:06 AM
Thank you Rob

Jim Koepke
07-04-2023, 12:47 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks,
Haisam

Hi Haisam, it all depends on the sizes of your projects and your hands.

In my hands they can all be accommodated. Sometimes a #4-1/2 works best for smoothing larger pieces. At other times a #1 is the right size for the job. The #1 and #2 are like block planes with handles and chip breakers. My #3s are often taken off the shelf instead of one of my #4s. They are a lighter and nimbler choice for the work.

My #2 is likely my least used smoother.

If you do a lot of small boxes or jewelry boxes, then you might find the smaller smoothers advantageous.

If you make mostly blanket chests and casework with drawers the larger size planes will be all you need.

It also may be determined on the direction you see for your woodworking. Some folks want to run a minimalist shop. This is to keep the investment in tools to only those needed for the hobby or profession.

Others are more like myself in buying just about any tool that comes their way. Though my shop is running out of space to keep many more new acquisitions.

Then there is all of those in between.

jtk

Haitham Jaber
07-04-2023, 1:07 PM
Jim. I have an admiration for tools and how I can express myself with them. So
I'm like you. One day I'll have also the "3's and below" in my tool chest.
Just now LN released a no 3 made of iron so I was thinking about getting it...
still thinking also because the bronze would be heavier
and I can wait
I appreciate your suggestion

Stephen Rosenthal
07-04-2023, 3:20 PM
Just now LN released a no 3 made of iron so I was thinking about getting it...
still thinking also because the bronze would be heavier
and I can wait

If you want it, you should grab the iron #3. Once available they sell out fast. The weight difference is negligible - 1/2 pound and actually a lighter #3 is probably preferable for most of the smoothing operations you値l do with it. The bronze may be more attractive to you, but you値l likely have to wait quite a while to get one. LN is having a lot of issues with their bronze tooling.

Haitham Jaber
07-04-2023, 4:33 PM
If you want it, you should grab the iron #3. Once available they sell out fast. The weight difference is negligible - 1/2 pound and actually a lighter #3 is probably preferable for most of the smoothing operations you値l do with it. The bronze may be more attractive to you, but you値l likely have to wait quite a while to get one. LN is having a lot of issues with their bronze tooling.

Yes it's attractive.
The Bronze no.4 I own has a nice weight to it

:)

Mike Allen1010
07-05-2023, 2:13 PM
For me #1 is great for smoothing small depressed areas in large panels. The small sole combined with chipbreaker is uniquely suited for this job.