PDA

View Full Version : Buckwheat not Eddie Murphy

Warren Lake
01-17-2023, 8:36 PM
When I was a kid my grandmother used to make killer soup and cabbage rolls. Ive started making the soup and maybe 60 percent as good and keep improving. I have both buckwheat and Kasha and the Kasha is just roasted buckwheat. I bring it almost to boil turn it down low and let it go about 15 minutes and all the water is gone. The only thing I dont get is there is a fuzz left once done. IVe washed it after cookinng a few times and most washes away but ive also left it and see no negatives.

I watched a few you tubes and all positive and good healthy stuff. One lady said she buys it green and sprouts it and says the value in it goes up even higher. Havent tried that yet.

Cant find any info for those that cook with it or even grow it do you wash that fuzz away.

Andrew More
01-18-2023, 12:52 PM
One lady said she buys it green and sprouts it and says the value in it goes up even higher. Havent tried that yet.

I believe this is something common in most grains. Malt used in brewing beer is often sprouted as well because the sprouting process, or the process leading to it starts the breakdown of the sugars, making more sugars "available" for whatever you might be making. I'm not sure what else might be made available (vitamins, fiber, etc) since I'm only familiar with the beer brewing side, which primarily focuses on the sugar.

Warren Lake
01-18-2023, 3:34 PM
think I read buckwheat is actually a fruit seed. There is some place in the US that grows one more rare type of it. Ive not tried the sprouting yet have made it a number of times from the roasted stuff. Good flavour, I didnt wash it off last time, havent seen that mentioned on people using it.