PDA

View Full Version : Planer Advice Needed

Jerry White
01-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I've been shopping for a 15" planer. One that caught my attention is the Powermatic 15S.

Also, has anyone taken note of the new Grizzly G1021X Extreme Series Planer? Looks like it has everything one could ask for in a 15" stationary machine except built-in casters. Note the spiral cutterhead.
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/main/48

I hope to purchase a 15" planer sometime soon and would welcome comments on these and other planers you might recommend or have experience with.

Thanks to all.

Jerry White

Rob Will
01-27-2006, 9:25 PM
Jerry,
I'm no expert but I can confirm that the spiral carbide insert heads are definitely QUIET. I think that the Powermatic 15S is a long flexible HSS knife. I have very limited experience but so far I really like the carbide inserts. My planer has the Byrd insert head.
Rob

Dev Emch
01-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Jerry,
I'm no expert but I can confirm that the spiral carbide insert heads are definitely QUIET. I think that the Powermatic 15S is a long flexible HSS knife. I have very limited experience but so far I really like the carbide inserts. My planer has the Byrd insert head.
Rob

So Rob... Do we get an atta-boy for steering you towards Mississipi river boat anchors?:D How do you like the 225 so far?

Rob Will
01-27-2006, 11:12 PM
So Rob... Do we get an atta-boy for steering you towards Mississipi river boat anchors?:D How do you like the 225 so far?

I feel like one of those guys with a chrome supercharged big block Chevy in a tiny boat. It looks great, sounds great, has lots of power and the neighbors are impressed. Not sure if it will pick up girls.

Rob

Jerry White
01-29-2006, 3:56 PM
Rob and Dev, thanks for your input.

Jerry

Spence DePauw
01-29-2006, 5:31 PM
Jerry, I have the Powermatic 15S and like it a lot. It does a beautiful job on curly maple, almost zero tearout. I haven't been through the first knife set yet, so I have no data on knife longevity. Comes with a digital depth scale which I really like. I've got a pdf file with a mini review, but it's way to big to post, about 600k. PM me if you want a copy via email.

Spence

Jerry White
01-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks, Spence, for a very well done review of the Powermatic 15S. This is just the kind of data I need!

Jerry

Dev Emch
01-30-2006, 12:49 PM
I feel like one of those guys with a chrome supercharged big block Chevy in a tiny boat. It looks great, sounds great, has lots of power and the neighbors are impressed. Not sure if it will pick up girls.

Rob

Oh Yah! I witnessed this exact phenom in Las Vegas with a 1960s 225!:D

P.S. Dont even ask.... its a long story!