PDA

View Full Version : K3 Winner with Grizzly Blade Guard

Michael Drew
01-15-2023, 11:39 AM
Finishing up my 'mobile' slider set up. Not the most desirable thing to do, put a slider on a mobile base, but I don't have a choice. At least not until I build a shop and I need to figure out where I'm going to live when I retire before I can get that all sorted out..... My garage is my "shop".

I am not a bit fan of blade guards, in general. I prefer to use a riving knife and safe saw use practices. Others insist on using them, and good for them. I'll just leave it at that. That topic has been beat to death on this site.

My primary concern was dust control. The "guard" needed to be large enough to cover the blade, at 90 or 45, as well as be long enough to include the scarfing blade on this saw. Felder sells a very nice one, but they refused to sell me one, because I bought a Hammer. I guess they don't want their prima-donna brand stuff seen near Hammer stuff.

I removed the outriggers and mounted the vertical support to the mobile base. One bolt at the bottom, and a couple knobs will allow me to remove the vertical support, should that be required. Not sure when or why it would, but I like options. The extension tube can easily be pushed to the right, and the guard will lift with as much resistance as you set with the locking knob. Or, the entire horizontal arm can be lifted off the vertical support. You do have to be precise with positioning the are though. It only adjusts up/down - right/left, so if you mount it permanently, like I have, make sure it is perpendicular to the blade.

My DC is an Oneida Super Cell. Pretty impressive machine. I think it'll suck the paint off a car fender.

I used the Grizzly guard, dust cover for the first time yesterday, ripping some 3/4 ply that I am using for a cabinet that will go under the saw's infeed table. (I was not impressed with the Hammer extension table, so I build one. It does a pretty good job pulling that splash of dust that pools up in front of the blade. And if I push dust towards the guard, it sucks it up well. I do not have optimum dust piping, but I'm kinda stuck with what I have due to the need to keep things mobile.