PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing JET JTAS-10XL50

Don Abele
07-21-2003, 8:13 PM
I've finally settled with insurance company for my move here and can now replace my table saw they destroyed. After a lot of research have decided on the JTAS-10XL50.

A couple of questions before hand though:

Have looked at both Amazon and Toolking - both have it for $1499 with free shipping. Any comments/suggestions here?

Also, would rather just buy the table without rails, fence, or extension table and then add the beisemeyer fence and home-made extension. Anyone know if this is available anywhere?

Thanks, will let you know how things turn out when I get it.

Be well,

Doc

Derek Arita
07-21-2003, 8:42 PM
Really good saw. I've got one and I will never outgrow its' capabilities. You're right about the fence, though. I actually moved up to an Xacta Fence II and am very happy with it. I cannot recommend the Micro Adjust fence.

Jim DeLaney
07-21-2003, 8:43 PM
Doc,
The Jet is a fine saw - I assume the "L" in the part# means it's a left tilt?

Not to try to talk you out of the Jet, but have you looked at the Shop Fox W1677? I just posted a message about my new one yesterday. (See the thread "Got a new Table Saw")

The dealer I bought mine from had three Unisaws, two Jets, and two Shop Foxes on the floor, so I got to look all of them over closely. Interestingly, the highly hyped Unisaws had the worst fit/finish of all. The table grinding, and the cabinet finishing were much better on the Jets and the Shop Foxes. "Under the hood" (with the table removed) they're all three nearly identical. So much so, that I'd bet some of the parts could be interchanged among them.

I ended up with the Shop Fox because the pricing was better, and the appearance was much superior to the Unisaws (and equal to the Jet). I didn't ask about buying the saw without a fence, but was told I could trade my (Shop Fox Classic - a Biesemeyer clone) fence for the longer one if I wanted, so there must be some latitude available in fences.

BTW, the Jet also has a Biesemeyer clone type fence, so unless you've already got the Biesemeyer, you might want to consider that.

Whichever brand you end up with, they're all great functioning saws, so it'll be hard to go wrong...

Mike Schwing
07-21-2003, 8:48 PM
I have that exact same saw - LOVE IT. For some reason, I wound up with two sets of fences and extension tables. I did not use either fence, as I put the whole Jointech Saw Train system on it, but the extension table is a perfect fit for it. The fence that comes with it is the HTC/Biesemeyer clone, so I don't know exactly what you'd be replacing it with that is much different.

The saw is fabulous, and I have an extra extension table if you want it.

Mike Leonard
07-21-2003, 9:05 PM
Doc,
I have been seriously thinking about the JET as well. You might want to give Harper's Hardware in Richmond a call, 1-800-831-2281, talk to Mike. When I talked with him the other day he told me that JET is coming out with some promotions next month so it might pay to wait a few weeks. I think they carry the Shop Fox too. It might be worth a trip to Richmond to compare the two side by side. Blueridge Hardwoods in VaBch carrys JET too, 671-3345. Good Luck.

Jim Becker
07-21-2003, 10:35 PM
I've owned the Jet LT saw for over three years now and couldn't be happier. Awesome tool, rock solid, very heavy and it's never needed any form of alignment since a little initial tweaking when I received it.

You might be able to order the saw sans the fence, rails, legs and table board, but I bet it will cost you the same as with them. Just order the package to get the best deal. You may find you'll like it "stock" and not need to go the other direction. In fact, I believe that the Biesemeyer fence you have will slide on the same rails, so you could keep one fence setup for tall work and one for "regular" cuts...<G>

Mike Mastin
07-22-2003, 8:56 AM
I have had my JET LT for a little while now, outfitted with the 50" rails and Bies clone fence. I would buy it again in a heartbeat!
The onlt reason that I would not buy the JET Bies clone fence would be to step up to either a Jointech Sawtrain system or an Incra TS fence system. The JET fence is a Bies knockoff and from what I can see there is no difference between them other than in name. It is rock steady and strong.
There is not a better cabinet saw out there in this price range for me. The new Shop Fox TS does looks interesting too.

Lars Thomas
07-22-2003, 2:02 PM
That's the same saw I have. I bought mine about 3 years ago from Amazon. It's a good solid saw - no regrets. The Amazon transaction went smooth.

I also have an extra set of rails. The first set (or rails) was damaged in transit. Looks like it was dragged from WA state.