PDA

View Full Version : A Rust Hunt Afternoon...results?

steven c newman
01-14-2023, 5:14 PM
And spent #102 for 4 items...
Set of Gimlets..for $3..
2 with handles, one that is used in a brace...next..

Found in a "Grab Bag Tub"
$4 Jordan Screwdriver, from Germany..
Needs a bit of clean up...next...$15 for 3 plough plane iron..
Logo ?
Starr Co.

Then, $80 for a plane..
A Stanley No. 4-1/2c, Type 11.......there was a newer version over in another stall...nickel plated lever cap.....but..it was $125!

And..
Not too bad of a day?:confused:

Chuck Hill
01-14-2023, 9:03 PM
Nice haul!

steven c newman
01-15-2023, 1:04 AM
Thanks!

The lateral lever just has Stanley incised. Checked the edge of the iron....Meh...could be a LOT better, has a "reverse camber" going on...will see about a new & improved (square, straight) edge. The Dealer seems to think a coat or 2 of ClearCoat will help things out....it DOES hide a few "sins".

Have never heard of Jordan from Germany....Everything works OK, just there is no return spring....never was, apparently....Will get it shined up, and rust free later...

Might install that one Gimlet bit into the 6" sweep brace I have....the other one has a countersink bit in. Might come in handy for the larger pilot holes I have to drill, sometimes.

I will need to research one tool I did not buy, today...
A "D" handled Breast Drill...multi speeds, even....wasn't sure IF it would be worth the effort to rehab...

As for that Stanley #45 I looked at, today...
I have the same model already IN my shop...a Type 5? Mine is the "back-up" set....and..no..I did NOT pay over $300 for mine. That #93 sitting there? Was $85 +Tax!

I basically "Hit" 2 Antique Malls....one is Heart of Ohio, out in Harmony,OH. East side of Springfield,OH...the other is over on Titus Rd..in Springfield, OH.
IF you go there (either one) plan on spending a LOT of time walking....

William Fretwell
01-15-2023, 7:33 AM
I do think you paid too much for the screwdriver!

steven c newman
01-15-2023, 11:02 AM
But, but...it is a JORDAN.....with German Engineering!

Apparently they didn't think adding a spring return was needed.

I did see a Handyman version....except the red handle was halfway off, and the inside of that handle was empty...and they still wanted $10 for it?

William Fretwell
01-15-2023, 5:12 PM
QUALITY!
Re-ground the ends on a couple. 50c each.

steven c newman
01-15-2023, 6:26 PM
Cleaned up, and ready for a test drive...
Iron has been corrected, and sharpened to the Unicorn Standard...
May have gone too much the other way, camber wise? It was reversed, to where just the corners would cut....now, most of the middle will cut...Clearcoat has been removed. Iron is also flat and mated to the chipbreaker...

The Jordan from Germany?
All cleaned up...nickel plate was flaking off...rust is gone.....shaft is cleaned and oil....
Wood handle has been cleaned up, and an Oil finish applied...

Will see about those Gimlets tomorrow...maybe?

Maurice Mcmurry
01-15-2023, 7:22 PM
Steven, Glad you are feeling better and making old iron beautiful and functional!

steven c newman
01-17-2023, 3:47 PM
Some more photos?
Fellow had a lot of saws...all were way too much$$$ for me..
All were about the size of a #6,, even the one that was "trimmed" down a bit...
When a Stanley No. 75 has a price tag of $35? Imagine what the rest of the tags read..

When you enter Heart of Ohio Antique Center, you are face with 4 ways to turn....IF you turn to the right, and walk down the left side of the aisle...4th stall has all of these high priced goodies..There is another good Stall down in room 5 and also at the end of Room 8...
There was a Stanley Rebate plane, a couple Sargent made planes..however..
Sitting back there, behind the woodies, and that cut down #7....is a Stanley No. 46 "Parts Plane" ($45!) that is just the fixed and sliding stocks, and the two rods...NOTHING else.

About any size axe or hatchet you ever need, was in about half of the stalls...
Prototype "Plane-all"? VIXEN File with a wooden handle...
Was tempted...except I already had one one these in the shop...
Was a nice "Me Day".....carrying around the Stanley No. 4-1/2c was a bit of a strain, they do have a lot of "walkers" in the mall, that carry not only the big rig of keys to all the locked cases, and a radio...they will hand you a number tag, and haul the items up front for you....where you them turn in that tag, and pay for the items you selected. At least at Heart of Ohio....at the Springfield Antiques Mall...meh, not so much....

steven c newman
01-18-2023, 6:53 PM
Trying to find out IF this drill would have been worth picking...
As one can move the drive gear for different speeds...and the handle can be shifted, as well....plus, how many do you find with a "D" handle?

Thinking this MIGHT be either a Goodell Pratt Co. OR a Millers Falls model.....since they do over-lap about 1931, or so....

Springfield Antiques Center, Titus Rd. Springfield, OH. Not sure IF it would be worth the drive to go and pick up?

steven c newman
01-27-2023, 3:38 PM
Now, after just visiting the in town Antique Mall...there is a Tool seller upstairs....usually has a few planes.....well, today I checked on his "new arrivals"....

Remember this Stanley No. 4-1/2c I bought in this Rust Hunt?
And paid $80 +tax for? Well, the same 4-1/2 Stanley model was sitting on that seller's shelf for..........$65+tax.....Grrrrr..

Plus..it was sitting right next to a Tu-Tone Stanley....a Trustworthy No. 4......a Lakeside No.4.....And a Mohawk-Shelbourne Jack plane...and a Sargent 414 Jack...

Antique Mall is on West Columbus Ave. in Bellefontaine,OH. Ask for the Tool Guy's stall, upstairs....