PDA

View Full Version : Cheval Mirror Slides

Val Kosmider
01-14-2023, 9:56 AM
I have a Cheval Mirror project mostly complete, but in spite of a lot of fiddling where the mirror portion of the case slides open to reveal a jewelry case/shelves/whatever you wish to call it, i am not happy with the way the mirror portion slides/moves/glides.

I am using draw slides on the top and bottom of the mirror portion. Aligning them over a long distance (50+ inches) has not been easy, but my bigger issue i think is the slides themselves. I am unsure if the slides i am using are "soft close" but the issue is that when the slides get to the last few inches of travel, when closing, they seem to bind/stiffen/drag an unacceptable amount. It takes too much effort to slide the mirror portion into its final resting place on the cabinet.

Is there such a thing a s a "no soft closing" draw slide, and how do i identify such hardware? Is a drawer slide event the best hardware for this application? The only other idea i have considered is to make a sliding dovetail slide but there seem to be issues with doing that as well.

What have others used? Am i on the right track with the drawer slide hardware, and have just not used the correct type of slide?

Frustrated over getting this right, but there must be a good solution out there. Anybody made such a mirror/cabinet? Suggestions?

Jamie Buxton
01-14-2023, 5:29 PM
I'd never heard of a cheval mirror, but the web seems to equate it to a floor-standing mirror, without any slides. You might have to show drawings or pics to get help with redesign.