PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Search

Dave Richards
01-27-2006, 9:51 AM
I'm looking for a drill press to replace the 1943 Craftsman (Atlas) that belonged to my grandfather. I'd like your help.

I want a floor standing DP that'll run on 120V. 3/4 to 1 1/2 HP. Doesn't need to have a zillion different speeds. What I do want is a quill lock and it needs to be under $500. I've looked at Jet, Grizzly and Delta. Evidently these manufacturers think that having 17 or 20 speed options is the most important thing.

I suppose if you've never had a drill press with a quill lock you would probably think I'm nuts for being disappointed in what Is available these days. I know of at least one member though who, like me, finds it extremely useful.

My old Craftsman DP has a quill lock as does my 1932 Walker-Turner bench top DP. The Clausing 1641 at work has it. How come I can't find it on a new DP?

Anyway, can someone show me a new drill press that has what I want?

Ed Labadie
01-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Dave,
It appears the Canadian made General's have it. Price may be more than you are looking to spend.

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/0general/34013410a.html

No experience with them, you just got my curiosity up!

Ed

Dan Racette
01-27-2006, 11:08 AM
That seems like that general goes kind of fast? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have something that goes down to under 200 rpm?

I too have been searching.

you going to sell that atlas???

I have been keen to this one. G0491 new from grizzly. 309 shipped anywhere.

Bill Webber
01-27-2006, 11:27 AM
I've been looking for a new drill press for years. Not that I need one, just looking for an upgrade. From what I've seen there isn't much out there.

I have an old Sears drill press. It has extremely positive depth stops and a speed range of under 200 to over 6000. I've actually run router bits in it for some special projects.

I was at the Timonium show looking at the Delta drill presses. They have what should have been positive stops, but when I pulled agains the stop, I could get another 1/8 of an inch of travel. I don't know what was bending or moving, but the stop was really poor. (This was a threaded rod stop, too, not that little thumb screw thingy on the return spring) Anyway, there's not much out there, certainly nothing to get excited about at the price you picked.

Good luck :)

Bill W.

Dave Richards
01-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the link Ed. I haven't found a supplier in the US that lists those DPs to find a price.

Dan, the General 34-01 has a speed range from 460RPMs to 4910 in 6 steps. That seems pretty good to me.

I doubt I'd sell the Atlas. I'd like to restore it if I can find the parts. Same with the W-T.

Edited to add: Dan have you ever been in to Workbench Tool Company on Perry Street in Madison. From what I can tell, they sell woodworking tools as well as doing millwork.

Bill, my grandfather used to run router bits in this old Craftsman/Atlas that I have. I'm sure you're right about not much good news in the drill press business in my price range.

I send an e-mail to Grizzly just to see if they'd give me any ideas.

Mark Carlson
01-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Dave,

The General drill press is around $1100 - $1200 bucks.

~mark

Dave Richards
01-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Scratch that. Thanks Mark.

Dan Racette
01-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I have been to workbench. We have available to us here in madison.

There are at least 4 shops that do millwork and such. Workbench has been around forever. We also have a woodcraft. One of our lumber suppliers just closed his doors.

That grizz is only $300.

Dave Richards
01-27-2006, 1:42 PM
Dan I was just curious about Workbench because they are listed as a dealer for General.

As to that Griz, I looked at it but it doesn't have a quill lock. Looks like it is available on the G9749 and the G0520 but they are way out of my price range.

Tyler Howell
01-27-2006, 2:00 PM
Tried and True of Fridley carries General as well as some items at Woodcraft.

Dave Richards
01-27-2006, 2:24 PM
Thanks for that Tyler.

BTW, I'm still thinking about your shop flow question.