PDA

View Full Version : Decoupage use

Tim Elett
01-09-2023, 5:49 PM
I am trying some of this for sealing rough turned natural edge bowls. Hopeing it will help with keeping the bark from coming off,any one else use it? My dad made some pictures with it years and years ago.

Mel Fulks
01-09-2023, 6:12 PM
Do you mean “Mod Podg”

Tim Elett
01-09-2023, 7:30 PM
The bottle is labeled decoupage is it the same? It is sort of like glue clear when dry.

Mel Fulks
01-09-2023, 7:35 PM
That’s the way I read it.

tom lucas
01-09-2023, 9:41 PM
It won't hold up to water. So, if you plan to leave it permanently, I'd worry about long term reliability. You may not like the semi-gloss look it might leave as well, and not truly clear. Gesso might work better. I've used Gesso on carvings prior to water color painting. Works great for that. Dunno as just a sealant. But, I'd use a light cut of blond shellac, if it were me, applying 3 coats. You could also insert CA glue using capillary tips in the grooves such that it will not show on the surface.

Tim Elett
01-10-2023, 7:18 AM
It won't hold up to water. So, if you plan to leave it permanently, I'd worry about long term reliability. You may not like the semi-gloss look it might leave as well, and not truly clear. Gesso might work better. I've used Gesso on carvings prior to water color painting. Works great for that. Dunno as just a sealant. But, I'd use a light cut of blond shellac, if it were me, applying 3 coats. You could also insert CA glue using capillary tips in the grooves such that it will not show on the surface.
Thanks so the blond shellac, I can leave it on the bark and outside, then finish the inside? I'm using dry wood 27% moisture, trying to keep the bark on rim of bowl.

tom lucas
01-10-2023, 7:32 AM
Thanks so the blond shellac, I can leave it on the bark and outside, then finish the inside? I'm using dry wood 27% moisture, trying to keep the bark on rim of bowl.

You can apply just about any finish over shellac. You just don't want the shellac to build to a film. Note that a light cut is a 1/2-lb cut or so, meaning shellac is diluted with Denatured Alcohol. Make sure the shellac is dewaxed. Just look up diluting shellac as a sealer. Tons of info on it.

Peter Blair
01-10-2023, 8:58 AM
Mod poge as I understand it is simply white glue mixed with water . . . . . sooo it really is just white glue, thinned with water which does allow it to soak in a little more than the glue alone.

Richard Coers
01-12-2023, 5:36 PM
[QUOTE=Tim Elett;3234109] I'm using dry wood 27% moisture, trying to keep the bark on rim of bowl.[/QUOTE
27% is not dry timber. It's going to move quite a bit after turning. I prefer almost no finish on the bark. Nothing looks worse to me, than something natural like bark, with a thick layer of plastic on it. And the worst is a gloss layer of plastic.

Tim Elett
01-12-2023, 6:45 PM
Learning a lot, thanks for the replys.