PDA

View Full Version : Buying Laminate

James Jayko
01-09-2023, 9:37 AM
I'm trying to track down some laminate to skin a sharpening box for my hand tools. Whilst I realize its not too common for people to make formica countertops or whatever anymore, I had no idea that you couldn't get it ANYWHERE. Tried THD, Lowes, all the hardware stores I know etc. Anyone have any clever ideas of other places where one could get some laminate like that?

Michael Drew
01-09-2023, 10:11 AM
I'm trying to track down some laminate to skin a sharpening box for my hand tools. Whilst I realize its not too common for people to make formica countertops or whatever anymore, I had no idea that you couldn't get it ANYWHERE. Tried THD, Lowes, all the hardware stores I know etc. Anyone have any clever ideas of other places where one could get some laminate like that?

I found out the same thing not too long ago. I live to have some around for shop furniture. Used to get it at the big box stores. No longer available there. I asked my hardwood/cabinetry supply store if they could get it, and was told they could, but I'd have to order it. Maybe check your local cabinet maker/woodworker store?

Maurice Mcmurry
01-09-2023, 10:16 AM
Bear - Wurth supply near Chicago was our go to source for years. lately I buy from Lowes.com and have it shipped to the local store for free. We also have a wholesale counter top shop in our town that will sell to trades-people. There are several on line laminate sellers. Shipping can be pricey.

Alan Lightstone
01-09-2023, 10:18 AM
I ordered mine online a few years ago for my workshop. Comes rolled up in big rolls.

Keegan Shields
01-09-2023, 10:25 AM
Bear - Wurth supply near Chicago was our go to source for years. lately I buy from Lowes.com and have it shipped to the local store for free. We also have a wholesale counter top shop in our town that will sell to trades-people. There are several on line laminate sellers. Shipping can be pricey.

Similar to Maurice, I recently ordered some from homedepot.com and had it shipped to a local store.

It arrived damaged but it worked for my project and I didn't want to wait for a return and reshipment.

Dave Sabo
01-09-2023, 10:36 AM
If you’ll call or look on the laminate co.’s websites - they’ll point you to your local distributor who specializes in that. Should still be one or two in / around Philly.

Lisa Starr
01-09-2023, 12:58 PM
You can still order it from both Lowes and Home Depot.

Tom M King
01-09-2023, 1:09 PM
Was going to post what Lisa said. There are so many colors and sizes that it would be foolish to keep any in stock in a store.

Steve Wurster
01-09-2023, 1:23 PM

How much do you need, and where are you located in the Philly area? I've got this piece leftover from when I used part of it to make my router table top many years ago. It's been leaning up against the wall in my shop the entire time, and I have no idea when I will ever need to use it. It's 97"x21".

Kevin Jenness
01-09-2023, 1:30 PM
Look up a countertop fabricator in your area. They will have offcuts and can order anything in full sheet sizes.

Cary Falk
01-09-2023, 1:41 PM
I just ordered a piece online from Lowe's and picked it up in the store(ships for free).

Michael Drew
01-09-2023, 4:19 PM
And of course, shipping to a store in Alaska is not an option.....

Steve Engelschall
01-09-2023, 5:33 PM
Try Wilsonart. www.wilsonart.com. I see they have a distributor in Moorestown NJ which is close to Philly. I've purchased 4x8 sheets from their massive warehouse in Tempe, AZ. They have every color of the rainbow, but basic black was the cheapest.

johnny means
01-09-2023, 9:21 PM
Fessenden Hall over in Pennsauken.

Jim Becker
01-10-2023, 10:35 AM
The big box stores don't stock many things physically in the retail stores anymore, but do offer quick ship to store/home for much, if not all, of the things that we might have bought there in the past. It may still be the way to go for smaller quantities of things as many times, larger distributors, when they will sell to the general public, still prefer larger orders.

richard poitras
01-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Also the sub straights are hard to find as well.. nobody has the nova ply.

James Jayko
01-10-2023, 2:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I went through the Wilsonart website and found a fabricator in 2 miles from my office in Bridgeport (General Laminate). Got an offcut that's perfect for my project for $10. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ole Anderson
01-11-2023, 10:08 AM
Problem solved! Good for you. We have a local cabinet supply shop, Drayton Plywood, that carries Formica and Wilsonart and has all of the samples. Not in stock, but usually one day delivery.