PDA

View Full Version : Circular saws

Howard Barlow
01-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Well, I gotta getta new 7 1/4". I've been using my PC Saw Boss for years, but I want the bigger blade. I know everyone has a favorite, but are there any real dogs in the top names? I like the Bosch with the detachable cord, but that sucker is almost as heavy as my sidewinder.

PC Mag? Makita? Help me spend money.

Allen Grimes
01-27-2006, 12:07 AM
http://www.festoolusa.com/faster.aspx

Watch the video

Howard Barlow
01-27-2006, 12:17 AM
I will definitley end up with a Festool, but for now, I need one for construction as much as cabinet making. Plus, it's above my current pay grade.:(

Allen Grimes
01-27-2006, 12:37 AM
I know what you mean, I cant afford it right now either. I just cant stop drooling over it.

John Bailey
01-27-2006, 5:48 AM
Howard,

I don't know alot about circular saws, but I made good use of an old Craftsman for 25 yrs. My wife bought me a new Makita and it's like using a different tool. It is great, and worlds better than the Craftsman. I haven't ever used anything else, but the Makita is good.

John

Bill Lewis
01-27-2006, 6:46 AM
I've had a DW364 for about 10 years now. It was/is the "top of the line" Dewalt 7 1/4" saw. They also make an 8 1/4" version of the same, the DW384. It is a very tough saw with plenty of power. About the best recomendation I have is that my wife will use it, but won't touch my old consumer grade B&D that I still have. She thought the old B&D was dangerous. I still keep it for jobs I wouldn't use the Dewalt for, like vinyl siding, or abrasive blades (concrete, or metal).

The reality is that as long as you stick with a decent brand, you'll probably be happy with it. Milwaukee, Skil, Makita, DeWalt, PC all make pretty decent stuff, expecially when you move up to a larger blade size than the 7 1/4". Then it comes down to features and budget.

Ok, I just re-read your post, It sounds like you are moving up to a 7 1/4" from your little 6" PC, but you also have a "sidewinder" or "worm drive" saw too. All I can say is be wary of almost all of the lower priced saws from the manufacturers listed above. Though even the low end stuff is better than what used to be available to the average consumer 20 years ago. The price difference between the low and high is generally what you'd also pay for a consumer grade saw in as many years ago.

Tony Falotico
01-27-2006, 7:00 AM
Howard, I have DeWalt 7 1/2", pretty sure it's the DW364 (it's too cold to head to the shop right now and check it). Great Saw, but at a little over 12 lbs it's too heavy for me. So heavy, I don't use it as much as I really could. My point, consider the weight factor before you buy. That heavy saw wears my arms and wrists down way too fast.

Bob Noles
01-27-2006, 7:08 AM
Howard,

I got by for years and years with several CS names and models. Finally broke down and got my first REAL CS last summer. PC Mag..... Sweet is the only word that comes to mind.

Frank Eppler
01-27-2006, 7:26 AM
Howard.
Have had the DW364 for about 5 years. This is a great saw with the rear pivot depth of cut adjustment. Plenty of power and fun to operate. Even my grown son the "Engineer" can manage to operate it!:D

Frank
:)

Christian Aufreiter
01-27-2006, 7:53 AM
Hi Howard,

how about a Mafell circular saw (http://www.mafell.com/open.html)?
If I needed a new circular saw Mafell would be my favourite choice. Their saws appear to be very well-made, durable and Mafell offers a nice guide rail system.

Regards,

Christian

John Miliunas
01-27-2006, 8:16 AM
Howard, I picked up a Bosch 8-1/4" cut CS about 6 or 7 months ago. Nice unit! Greater depth of cut, adapted easily to my EZ system and one feature I found, which will be real useful for me is, the thing will actually bevel out to 60°, rather than the typical 45°.:) :cool:

Jim DeMarco
01-27-2006, 8:33 AM
Howard,

I have a 14 yr old Delta/Rockwell, a Skill super mag worm drive, and a one year old Porter Cable. All are great units, but you know what... more often than not you find me with the PC in hand. It is a very nice, well balanced saw with plenty of power.
Bonus, it is offered in both Left and Right combinations.
Another saw I have used and liked it the Milwaukee with the tilt handle.

Overall my recomendation is the PC... that is of course if you dont have the extra $$ for the Festool... what an amazing saw that is!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2006, 9:07 AM
Howard, I bought the PC 743 left-bladed model. I can see the blade and the cutline. When I was younger and stronger I used the worm-drive units. Now I find these a little too heavy and awkward to use due to my aging body. Good luck with your decision!

Bob Aquino
01-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Hi Howard,

how about a Mafell circular saw (http://www.mafell.com/open.html)?
If I needed a new circular saw Mafell would be my favourite choice. Their saws appear to be very well-made, durable and Mafell offers a nice guide rail system.

Regards,

Christian

And I thought Festool was expensive...:rolleyes:

Christian Aufreiter
01-27-2006, 10:20 AM
And I thought Festool was expensive...:rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with Mafell’s pricing in the USA but in Europe, Mafell saws are hardly more expensive than Festool's.

Regards,

Christian

Bill Lewis
01-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Christian,
Festool = $400
The best construction grade circular saws will probably average around $120 - $150. Inexpensive Consumer or homeowner saws are in the $40 - $90 range.

These prices are my best guesstimate, I haven't been pricing any lately.

Mark Rios
01-27-2006, 5:50 PM
I found the Editors and Readers Choice rated saw, from Tauntons Tool Guide, on closeout sale at Lowes for $109. I called to see if my local store had it in stock and it was and also on sale.

EDIT: Sorry.:D It was the Milwaukee 6390-21 Circular Saw.

Von Bickley
01-27-2006, 8:53 PM
I vote for the Makita....:)

Howard Barlow
01-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I think I have narrowed it to the PC Mag or Makita.

Tom Peterson
01-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I have had the PC left blade for about 7 years I think. Works great, cuts through anything, you can see the cut line and comes with a case to boot. Can't justify the Festool either so this is more than good enough

Jack Clark
01-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Howard, I picked up a Bosch 8-1/4" cut CS about 6 or 7 months ago. Nice unit! Greater depth of cut, adapted easily to my EZ system and one feature I found, which will be real useful for me is, the thing will actually bevel out to 60°, rather than the typical 45°.:) :cool:

Hi John,

I'm new here and also pretty green about woodworking, so please bear with my amateurish questions. When you use your Bosch saw with the EZ-Smart system, do you incorporate any sort of dust control with an attached vacuum?

Thanks,

Jack

Matt Meiser
01-27-2006, 11:55 PM
I've got the previous generation PC saw and am very happy with it. Much better than my old $39.99 Skil.

Shaun Wilson
01-28-2006, 12:15 AM
I'm a big fan of the blade-left Porter Cable - assuming you are right handed. I use mine a fair amount and being able to see the cut-line is VERY NICE. If you've used both R and L bladed saws, it's a night and day difference.
(If your left handed I think either a Porter or Makita would be a good choice). :)

Howard Barlow
01-28-2006, 12:29 AM
I bought the Saw Boss, at the time, as it was the only left blade I could find. Of course, I bought it so I could see the line. I hated it from the start. It's great to see the line, but sometimes it's awkward trying to hold the piece to the right with my left hand.

I think I will go with the right blade PC Mag. Of course, that's tonight's decision. We will see what tomorrow brings.:D :confused:

John A. Williams
01-29-2006, 10:13 AM
I've also been looking at the PC Mag's but couldn't decide left vs. right. I'm right handed, and have always had a hard time seeing the cut line. Does it take some getting used to to use a left blade version?