PDA

View Full Version : Track Saw Blade Selection

Steve Eure
01-06-2023, 4:43 AM
Looking at purchasing a rip blade for my Makita Plunge saw. The supplied blade does a great job on most cuts, but I'm looking for a rip blade for hardwood rips. All Makita offers is a 24 tooth rip blade that specifically says for a cordless plunge saw. What's the difference here? Will it not fit the corded version, which I have? There is no mention of a rip blade for a corded saw. What gives? Are they not basically the same? I can't find any explanation for this on the web, enen Makita's website. Enlighten me please.
BTW, I know I can use other manufacturers blades on this saw, was just curious as to the fore mentioned question. Makita makes a great plunge saw blade, so was wanting to try their rip blade also. Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks, Steve

Jim Dwight
01-06-2023, 10:40 AM
Steve,

My track saw is a corded DeWalt but I am pretty confident that the Makita blade you are looking at will fit your corded saw. I really doubt Makita changed the 20mm arbor diameter when they brought out their cordless saw. I believe your blades are 165mm in diameter like my DeWalt blades and that is occasionally useful versus the 160mm of the Festool. Unfortunately, last I looked, Freud was using the 160 mm diameter for their blades. Otherwise they would be a good choice IMHO.

Jim

Rich Engelhardt
01-06-2023, 11:09 AM
https://www.makitatools.com/products/accessories/Cutting-Blades/Plunge-Saw-Blades

Looks like kerf size is different for the 48T cordless vs corded. Other tooth counts are only supplied in a thin kerf & marked "Cordless".

I don't think it would hurt anything to use a blade marked cordless in a corded saw.

Randy Heinemann
01-06-2023, 4:04 PM
Why not ask Makita? I would think they would know for sure.

Tony Shea
01-07-2023, 11:04 AM
I have no experience with Makita track saws but I did look at the blades a bit and appears to be a similar situation as Festool. I own the TS55 with cord and my blade is Festool's original thickness blade. Their newest saws have reduced the thickness of the blade in order to get faster, smoother cutting with less power draw. It appears Makita has done the same thing with their cordless saw. Every part of the Makita blades are the same except the kerf and plate thickness. The newer cordless blades are thinner with a kerf thickness of 0.079" and their original blade thickness is 0.087". In the case of my Festool saw this would not work due to the riving knife thickness. I don't know if Makita has the same riving knife that plunges just behind the blade but have to assume this is the case. Long story short, I don't think the "Cordless" Makita blades will work in your corded version due to blade kerf thickness.

Rich Engelhardt
01-07-2023, 2:21 PM
I don't know if Makita has the same riving knife that plunges just behind the blade but have to assume this is the case. Long story short, I don't think the "Cordless" Makita blades will work in your corded version due to blade kerf thickness.Makita doesn't have a riving knife in the corded or cordless saws.

Curt Harms
01-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Looking at purchasing a rip blade for my Makita Plunge saw. The supplied blade does a great job on most cuts, but I'm looking for a rip blade for hardwood rips. All Makita offers is a 24 tooth rip blade that specifically says for a cordless plunge saw. What's the difference here? Will it not fit the corded version, which I have? There is no mention of a rip blade for a corded saw. What gives? Are they not basically the same? I can't find any explanation for this on the web, enen Makita's website. Enlighten me please.
BTW, I know I can use other manufacturers blades on this saw, was just curious as to the fore mentioned question. Makita makes a great plunge saw blade, so was wanting to try their rip blade also. Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks, Steve

Tenryu is a lesser known manufacturer that generally gets good reviews. This blade

https://www.amazon.com/Tenryu-PSW-16012CBD2-160-Saw-Blade/dp/B003TLIUXG/ref=sr_1_11?crid=20X3YEE8N43DS&keywords=tenryu+165+mm+track+saw+blade&qid=1673192809&s=hi&sprefix=tenryu+165+mm+track+saw+blade%2Ctools%2C76&sr=1-11

isn't touted for ripping but the reviews say it rips pretty well. I didn't spend much time but didn't find a bore size.

Edit: Here's a 160 mm think kerf rip blade.

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-160mm-Thin-Blade-LU87R006M20/dp/B002IPGXRO/ref=psdc_552292_t1_B003TLIUXG?th=1

John Kananis
01-08-2023, 4:01 PM
The makita blades are Tenryu blades... unless something has changed.

Rich Engelhardt
01-09-2023, 7:25 AM
Maybe at one time - but - the cordless blades the OP asks about have a different plate size, kerf size and diameter than the Tenryu blades for plunge saws.
The Plunge-Cut series of blades offered by Tenryu are all 160mm & the Makita Cordless are 165mm.

I suppose Tenryu could make different blades just for Makita though.

Dave Sabo
01-09-2023, 1:57 PM
Order the Tenryu blade curt linked on big river and get to cutting.