PDA

View Full Version : sharpening of sorby multi tip hollowing tool

joe zarnitz
01-26-2006, 10:50 PM
i need help----sorby says according to woodcraft video that you run a diamond hone across the flat surface---it doesnt really do much ---should it be sharpened like a scraper and a burr raised---tks,joe

Keith Nielsen
01-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Hi Joe,

I have one of those tools and have never found a hone enough to do anything. I take mine over to my white wheel grinder and give it a very slight back angle while grinding the edge. I lay it flat on an adjustable table that tilts into the wheel. It works well and cuts nicely.

Good luck
Keith

Ron Ainge
01-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Joe

If you can't get and edge with a diamond file on the tool sharpening the flat side of the tools I would suggest that you use an water or oil stone to do the same thing with it. If you use the grinder to sharpen these small items with you will soon find that you are out of surface and you will need to put money out for new ones. The Sorby Multi tip tool will do a lot of work if you just touch it up with a diamond file oftem. I use mine a lot and touch it up every few minutes, it only takes a few strokes and you are back to work.

Jim Becker
01-27-2006, 8:32 PM
Ron speaks the truth. You do not want to hit the grinder with these tips with any frequency at all...they are too small and will disappear "really quickly", even with a very light touch. The grinder is a "once in a while" thing. Honing the top will give you an edge that cuts well. I have found, however...that some of the inexpensive diamond hones really don't do very much. You get what you pay for! (DAMHIKT!)