PDA

View Full Version : woodworking shows

Justin Rapp
01-03-2023, 4:01 PM
The woodworking shows are back it seems. Just not as many events/locations pre-covid but it's a start

The one in NJ is like 20ish minutes from me (yay).

https://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/events/

Edward Weber
01-03-2023, 4:29 PM
They're back, but they won't come west of Milwaukee.

John Ziebron
01-03-2023, 5:34 PM
And they haven't been to the Detroit area for years, even before Covid, and still not on their schedule. My brother and I always went and I'm surprised because they always seemed to have a good turnout here.

John Kananis
01-03-2023, 5:50 PM
The woodworking shows are back it seems. Just not as many events/locations pre-covid but it's a start

The one in NJ is like 20ish minutes from me (yay).

https://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/events/

That's about an hour and 15 from me... never been to one, worth the drive?

Christopher Herzog
01-03-2023, 6:37 PM
Looks like STL is no more. Used to go most every year. Not sure if Indy will get a visit.

Christopher Herzog
01-03-2023, 6:42 PM
Thinking back, the last one was at the start of covid crackdown. I went that Friday or Saturday and by Monday we were no longer out on public anymore.

Side comment, I wish the Veritas/Lee Valley folks had stuff to sell and take home instead if buy and ship to you. Woodpeckers was also that way on some things, not all. I would like to spend my money and have it in hand. Plus my wife might check the mail! Never know, might have forgotten to mention a purchase, by mistake of course.

Ronald Blue
01-03-2023, 6:49 PM
Looks like STL is no more. Used to go most every year. Not sure if Indy will get a visit.

I saw that too. Kind of bummed about it. I don't know that I want to make a trek to Indy. It's not a lot further but it's no longer a down and back if I choose to go and come home. No Chicago or Kansas City either. I guess they won't be seeing me.

Luis G Rodriguez
01-03-2023, 7:20 PM
Yes, absolutely. It's fun! me and the wifre drove 3.5 hr from Abilene to Austin, TX for one and it was worth it!

Edward Weber
01-03-2023, 7:30 PM
Back in 05-06 timeframe, it was really a great show. After that, it started to go downhill, getting smaller and smaller each year. They eventually stopped coming west. There was renewed interest and hope when Bad Dog tools acquired them, but it was never like it was before. I can't remember the last time the show came to CA. It's not like there's 40 million people out here and a large artistic community, nothing like that.
At least they're back at it, maybe in a few years they'll unfold the map.

Richard Coers
01-03-2023, 8:00 PM
They became a waste of time in my opinion, unless you were a complete green horn. I wouldn't go to one now even if it was across the street.

Edward Weber
01-03-2023, 8:18 PM
They became a waste of time in my opinion, unless you were a complete green horn. I wouldn't go to one now even if it was across the street.

I kind of agree.
I know what you mean about the complete greenhorn comment. There are certainly a lot of people there that are amazed at the simplest of things.
IMO, The positives are that you can "play" with many new tools, by play I mean hold them etc. Many times factory reps are there that can answer questions.
You can sometimes get good (show) prices, and you don't have to pay shipping on things you buy.
If you look at the list of vendors and know what you're after, you can have a good time, just don't go in blind.

Warren Lake
01-03-2023, 10:30 PM
Shows are worth the time if you are talking Trade show, not Hobby show. Suppliers spend massive to set up at those shows, some in the 100's of thousands.

Often good techs. Changed finish suppliers years ago after talking to the smartest finisher id ever spoken to. Long time employees even get a card from someone who gets your questions and you see knows their stuff and more. Paid for WMS Toronto for this year and it vaporized. Wonder if the money went to Bitcoin. Hope it returns next year. Last Int Design show talked to a very bright guy hardware company. Not simple questions for him, me telling him about failures of his stuff, got honest answers. Learned about product redesigns and more.

Richard Coers
01-04-2023, 12:10 AM
Shows are worth the time if you are talking Trade show, not Hobby show. Suppliers spend massive to set up at those shows, some in the 100's of thousands.

Often good techs. Changed finish suppliers years ago after talking to the smartest finisher id ever spoken to. Long time employees even get a card from someone who gets your questions and you see knows their stuff and more. Paid for WMS Toronto for this year and it vaporized. Wonder if the money went to Bitcoin. Hope it returns next year. Last Int Design show talked to a very bright guy hardware company. Not simple questions for him, me telling him about failures of his stuff, got honest answers. Learned about product redesigns and more.
Justin is talking about a hobby show. Suppliers at the shows he's talking about move in 10 tables and a cloth backdrop. They bring in retail sales clerks, not techs.

Justin Rapp
01-04-2023, 8:19 AM
Justin is talking about a hobby show. Suppliers at the shows he's talking about move in 10 tables and a cloth backdrop. They bring in retail sales clerks, not techs.

Agreed - this is purely a hobby show. I been to tons of them. The 'sales' side isn't so interesting since i've seen most of it already, or have it. At least I can watch a sawstop set off a break instead of dropping a hot dog on my own saw. However, sometimes you might see a new product, maybe not. The internet has 'killed' any real deals you get on good tools as most things are price set these days anyway. I have gotten good deals on some nice wood.

Is it worth going - sure, it's not a bad way to spend some time walking around, maybe meeting some folks from the local wood working clubs or sitting in on some of the seminars. Last show before covid, I sat through two power wood carving seminars. It was really interesting to watch, ask some questions etc. Could I watch it on youtube, sure but in-person was more interesting. Is it worth going on a 3 or 4 hour drive each way, nope!

Justin Rapp
01-04-2023, 8:20 AM
That's about an hour and 15 from me... never been to one, worth the drive?

I'd drive 1-2 hours, not 3 or 4+. If you never went to one, it's pretty neat to go.

Jim Becker
01-04-2023, 9:10 AM
There was a time when I enjoyed cruising shows...I even leveraged them to get better pricing on some of my big tools and take them home at the close of the show by becoming the owner of the "floor demo". I think that ship sailed a long time ago...pre-pandemic by a mile. The world has changed, too, and with availability of almost anything at the click of a "rodent", there's little value to me for the "stuff". I did enjoy some of the seminars, however, but it's not compelling enough for me to both travel for awhile and also pay admission.

I would like to do the IWF/AWF type show again sometime as there's a lot more to see and learn, even from things I'd never buy nor use. But the small shows? Not really of interest anymore other than maybe to tag along with a friend or three for the conversation/camaraderie.

Stan Calow
01-04-2023, 9:26 AM
I used to go, mostly to pick up small items like push sticks, router bits or sandpaper, that I would otherwise order on line. But mostly it was one or two retailers that occupied most of the space, and very little if any large tools. If any of the lectures interest you, then go just for that.

Chuck Saunders
01-04-2023, 10:12 AM
The shows were of value until the internet came along (google,YouTube, online catalogs). I think the big draw was seeing stuff you didn’t know was out there. Once the internet made that easy the show lost a lot of draw to both exhibitors and buyers. Same thing happened to Computer Shopper. How many magazines have reader service cards? Print magazines are in decline as well. Times change, methods change.
Chuck

Justin Rapp
01-04-2023, 2:40 PM
There was a time when I enjoyed cruising shows...I even leveraged them to get better pricing on some of my big tools and take them home at the close of the show by becoming the owner of the "floor demo". I think that ship sailed a long time ago...pre-pandemic by a mile. The world has changed, too, and with availability of almost anything at the click of a "rodent", there's little value to me for the "stuff". I did enjoy some of the seminars, however, but it's not compelling enough for me to both travel for awhile and also pay admission.

I would like to do the IWF/AWF type show again sometime as there's a lot more to see and learn, even from things I'd never buy nor use. But the small shows? Not really of interest anymore other than maybe to tag along with a friend or three for the conversation/camaraderie.

This a a very good point specifically around the bigger equipment and getting 'floor model' items. When I first got into wood-working, you could go to the show and get your hands on the bigger equipment. I even remember bring home my floor model drill press. I bought it at the show and the dealer had a few trucks outside loaded with new in-the create equipment. The cost now is too great to bring the big stuff. Maybe a small bandsaw or two and some bench-top items.

Brian Tymchak
01-04-2023, 3:07 PM
There's a show in Columbus this year. Don't know the date. Our woodworking club will have a spot there.

I'm not going though. It hasn't been much more than Peachtree setting up 50 tables of trinkets and the sponsor-only small power tools. Maybe a few other off brand vendors. Gone are the days when the show was open to all brands and vendors would bring in their top level tools that you could actually put hands on.

I'll probably check in at Woodwerks which is reprising their January Expo (Jan 20-22) after the pandemic. They used to get a bunch of company reps to come in to demo their tools. Would be nice if they get back to that.

Bruce Wrenn
01-04-2023, 9:09 PM
Used to go,almost always as a group. Live in central NC, so closest shows were Charlotte, Atlanta, Chantilly or Fredricksburg. Been to Charlotte several times, Chantilly twice and Atlanta and Fredricksburg once each. Did a fly in for Atlanta show. It was right across street from rental car place, so could catch their bus both ways, however daughter was crew based in ATL, so wife spent the day with her, and I went to show. Last show we (wife and I) attended was Chantilly. Opening day happened to be daughter's birthday, who now lives about an hour and a half west of Chantilly. Wife didn't know it, but I had made arrangements for daughter and her husband to be at show. When wife saw daughter, it was the best thing ever at any show. Over the years, most of my purchases have been "trinkets," Items that cost more to ship than to buy. Biggest purchase ever was my Dubby, a couple Forrset WWII blades. Still have the Dubby, and got rid of WWII's. I found Delta 76-3657's cut just as good, and cost one fifth as much. Still regret not buying Dubby a lot earlier than I did. Go to the free seminars!!

Frank Necaise
01-04-2023, 10:49 PM
Great show in Saratoga Springs NY coming up in March.

https://woodworker.org/about-showcase/
Northeastern Woodworkers Association’s
Annual Fine Woodworking ShowSHOWCASEFeaturing the Fine Craftsmanship of Regional Amateur and Professional WoodworkersMarch 25 & 26, 2023
10:00 am – 5:00 pmSaratoga Springs City Center (http://www.saratogacitycenter.org/)
Saratoga Springs, NYAdvance tickets on sale starting
January 1, 2023________________
Lodging for ShowcaseThe Saratoga Hilton has special room rates for NWA Showcase & Totally Turning. Rooms go fast so make your reservation early.

William Hodge
01-05-2023, 8:22 AM
I used to sell at trade shows.

After the internet became the way most people learn about stuff, the shows tended to be attended by people with other interests. Festivals with entertainment and food are still popular. The people that showed up, and weren't able to look stuff up on the internet, were a tough market. Some companies even set up computers in their booths to show people online marketing materials. This is going back 18 years, so I don't know what's going on now.

Alan Lightstone
01-05-2023, 8:37 AM
Looks like the Tampa show is history too. Used to pick up some crap I could also get online, but oh well. Definitely had gone downhill tremendously over the past few years, and the lectures were definitely aimed at beginners.

Justin Rapp
01-05-2023, 9:16 AM
There's a show in Columbus this year. Don't know the date. Our woodworking club will have a spot there.

I'm not going though. It hasn't been much more than Peachtree setting up 50 tables of trinkets and the sponsor-only small power tools. Maybe a few other off brand vendors. Gone are the days when the show was open to all brands and vendors would bring in their top level tools that you could actually put hands on.

I'll probably check in at Woodwerks which is reprising their January Expo (Jan 20-22) after the pandemic. They used to get a bunch of company reps to come in to demo their tools. Would be nice if they get back to that.

The last year or two before covid, Peachtree didn't make it to the show. I believe one of the owners was having some medical issues. Ironically I did like when peachtree made a showing to grab up show supplies and jig making parts.

Justin Rapp
01-05-2023, 9:19 AM

Annual Fine Woodworking Show

SHOWCASE

Featuring the Fine Craftsmanship of Regional Amateur and Professional Woodworkers

March 25 & 26, 2023
10:00 am – 5:00 pm

Saratoga Springs City Center (http://www.saratogacitycenter.org/)
Saratoga Springs, NY

Advance tickets on sale starting
January 1, 2023

The Saratoga Hilton has special room rates for NWA Showcase & Totally Turning. Rooms go fast so make your reservation early.

This one is a 3 1/2 hour or so drive for me. It looks mostly like a 'display my work' show, which is very cool, I just don't know if i'd want to rack on 500 round trip miles for it.

Justin Rapp
01-05-2023, 9:22 AM
Looks like the Tampa show is history too. Used to pick up some crap I could also get online, but oh well. Definitely had gone downhill tremendously over the past few years, and the lectures were definitely aimed at beginners.

Alan,

I agree the show has gone down hill, but if it's close, sure. The lectures, while yes, could be aimed to teach you something new, you don't need to be a beginner woodworker, just maybe a beginner in that area of woodworking.

Patrick Johnson
01-06-2023, 1:20 AM
I'm planning on going to the event in Columbus, Oh this year.

Patrick

Justin Rapp
02-11-2023, 7:48 AM
I spent a few hours at the wood working show in Edison, NJ yesterday. It is smaller than it has been in the past with less vendors but overall a good turnout of vendors given a fresh return for the show after the covid break.

From my memory, Woodpeckers booth had a lot more of their products on hand to get your hands on, and had some good show prices, and seemed to offer free shipping on any items that they couldn't sell on the spot. Of course Sawstop was trying to cut hot dogs in half, and for the first time I saw/remember Felder/Hammer and also General show up. While I love my Laguna bandsaw, the Hammer N4400 would be my go-to now if I was in the market for a new bandsaw.

There were a few wood vendors there and prices were actually 'show prices' on a lot of the slabs and boards, and of course there where the bulk 'junk tool' vendors. Ridge Carbide was present as well and I left with a much needed quality dado stack and a fresh blade for my miter saw. Prices were discounted, a bit cheaper than the prices I've seen at online retails. There were also other vendors I didn't really visit, such as arbortech, since I am not into power carving, at least right now.

The seminars were similar to years past and this time I stayed for Prepping &Finishing ASurface by Bill Bush. I've looked at his products in the past (Bush Oil and various sanding products). He sands by hand and in the seminar I learned something new but at the same time it was a sales pitch for the products. What is very interesting was working to remove the remaining sawdust from the cell structure of the wood which in the end before finish, had a fantastic sheen. I might go back tomorrow if I have time to sit through another seminar or two.

Lastly, of course if you are in need of gutter guards for your shop building, you could go visit gutter guard. But i'll tell you, the young lady working the booth looked pretty bored.

David Bolson
02-11-2023, 9:41 AM
I also was at the Edison show yesterday, part of the New Jersey Woodturners booth, spinning tops to sell for charity.

I did visit Arbortech, as I had been thinking of getting a mini carver for quite some time. Their show price of 30% off list pushed me over the edge.

Maybe it’s just me, but I have difficulty getting engaged in the demos. An overhead camera and screen, better audio, and a more enclosed space would help.

Justin Rapp
02-11-2023, 2:37 PM
I also was at the Edison show yesterday, part of the New Jersey Woodturners booth, spinning tops to sell for charity.

I did visit Arbortech, as I had been thinking of getting a mini carver for quite some time. Their show price of 30% off list pushed me over the edge.

Maybe it’s just me, but I have difficulty getting engaged in the demos. An overhead camera and screen, better audio, and a more enclosed space would help.

Both of my kids have tops from NJ Woodturners from a number of years ago. Passing the both, my son, no 16 said, hey, I still have my top from them and give it a spin once in a while. I didn't watch the sawstop demo as i've seen it, and hope I never set mine off. I was lucky, I was in the front row for the seminar, and agree that if you are not close up, you can't stay engaged as you can't see well. The audio kept breaking up and there was a bit of drown noise from the seminar next door. The setup isn't 'great' for these types of seminars. However I do know Raritan Center does have a really good presentation room. I've presented in it (not for woodworking) and it's AV is very good. I guess they can't put all of the seminars in there, and some of them would make a total mess of the room.

Bruce Wrenn
02-11-2023, 8:15 PM
I'll tell you, the young lady working the booth looked pretty bored. Which was she, pretty or bored? Just to good to pass up!

Justin Rapp
02-12-2023, 10:51 AM
Which was she, pretty or bored? Just to good to pass up!

She was bored. Everyone is pretty to someone, so my taste may not be yours or someone elses. So I will refrain from that discussion.

Craig Shipman
01-21-2024, 11:12 AM
I just drove 3 hours to the Columbus show and it was a waste of time. The shows that used to be in Detroit were huge, at least 10 times larger (or so they seemed). The one in Columbus was at the Ohio Exhibition Center which is where the State Fair is held and is huge. The building listed on the web site was not the correct building. There were no clear markings or directions and it has hard to determine which building the show was in. I don't understand why there were so few venders. Has competition from the internet cut into the amount of business conducted at the shows? I hope/wish the one in Detroit comes back in its old glory.

al ladd
01-21-2024, 2:06 PM
Frank, you're familiar with this show? Does it draw a crowd? Do you know if this is it's first year back after COVID?

I have two woodworking products I'm looking to sell (a small power feeder, and a high end cross-cut sled for table saws) and this looks like it might be a good low-key venue for getting them in front of woodworkers eyes live for the first time. I also have my own woodcrafts, my full time livelihood for many years, I could show for sale too. Thanks!

Annual Fine Woodworking Show

SHOWCASE

Featuring the Fine Craftsmanship of Regional Amateur and Professional Woodworkers

March 25 & 26, 2023
10:00 am – 5:00 pm

Saratoga Springs City Center (http://www.saratogacitycenter.org/)
Saratoga Springs, NY

Advance tickets on sale starting
January 1, 2023

The Saratoga Hilton has special room rates for NWA Showcase & Totally Turning. Rooms go fast so make your reservation early.

Carroll Courtney
01-21-2024, 4:39 PM
I always like Peach Tree booth for miscellaneous items

Rod Sheridan
01-21-2024, 7:11 PM
Hi Warren, WMS in Toronto is odd years only, you’re going to have to go to Quebec in even years.

SIBO is in Drummondville Oct 24-26 2024

Regards, Rod

Justin Rapp
01-22-2024, 11:45 AM
I always like Peach Tree booth for miscellaneous items

I did also, but they don't show up now. Prior to Covid, 2019, they missed the show-ring. I remember seeing a message that they were not going to make the show because one of the key people had a health condition, or something to this matter. It's a shame because they always looked like one of the most busy vendors at the show.

jack duren
01-22-2024, 12:09 PM
Seems to have found its way back to KC..

Justin Rapp
01-22-2024, 12:22 PM
I just drove 3 hours to the Columbus show and it was a waste of time. The shows that used to be in Detroit were huge, at least 10 times larger (or so they seemed). The one in Columbus was at the Ohio Exhibition Center which is where the State Fair is held and is huge. The building listed on the web site was not the correct building. There were no clear markings or directions and it has hard to determine which building the show was in. I don't understand why there were so few venders. Has competition from the internet cut into the amount of business conducted at the shows? I hope/wish the one in Detroit comes back in its old glory.

The show was back last year after covid, and it was definitely smaller. The one I went to in January right before Covid was pretty decent comparatively, even without Peachtree making the show. However Lee Valley was there and had a fantastic setup and 'try before you buy' workbench. There was also a few vendors there selling power hand tools (Makita, Dewalt, etc) But 2023 show, at least in NJ, Lee Valley was still a no show, as was of course Peachtree and a few others. The machinery companies don't even show anymore except sawstop. I remember buying my jet floor drill press, and it was available for pick-up that day in the parking lot where it was loaded from a trailer right into my vehicle, in it's original create, not the floor sample.

I really suspect the internet sales did have some affect on vendor attendance, but I suspect it is also the cost to pay for the booth, travel costs and labor to man the booth. I don't think it is cost effective for the larger companies like Rockler or Woodcraft to show in 'mass' with a lot of stock to see, because they'd send a local store and anyone local enough to the show can just go to the store all year long.

I do think the show is making an attempt to rebound as this year they brought in Tommy MacDonald (from Rough Cut) as a voice for the show and as an instructor. It might not help bring in the vendors to show this year, but if they boost the attendance based on the education/classes, the show can make a business case to vendors for next year. It is all a pure cost-benefit analysis for the companies. For example, last year, Woodpeckers booth was mobbed and looked like they were selling a ton. Especially considering buying at the show cut the cost of their crazy high shipping prices. For Woodpecker, it's a benefit for them to have less competition at the show.

It also helps if you spend some funds at the show to bring back the vendors. If they don't see any profit in attending, they won't show up. Last year I gave Ridge Carbide my support and bought 3 blades, as well as grabbing some lumber from one of the wood suppliers.

Regardless, my son gets extra credit in his wood-working class at school for showing up to the woodworking show so I need to go either way :)

Mike Congiusti
01-22-2024, 3:36 PM

I just checked this out. It does not seem to be opened to the public. You need to be in the trade as it asks for company name. Any way how to get around it? I live 4 hours away and would love to see this one time, even tough most of the equipment is beyond my pay grade. LOL

Justin Rapp
01-22-2024, 3:59 PM
I just checked this out. It does not seem to be opened to the public. You need to be in the trade as it asks for company name. Any way how to get around it? I live 4 hours away and would love to see this one time, even tough most of the equipment is beyond my pay grade. LOL

On the IWF web page it says it's not open to the public, but open to serious woodworking enthusiasts. On the registration page, company was not a required field from what it looks like. I would suspect if you registered, they wouldn't deny you entrance.

Is IWF open to the public?

No. IWF is open only to industry trade, professionals, and serious woodworking enthusiasts.

George Yetka
01-22-2024, 4:10 PM
Always worth a visit but post covid they are smaller. I went to last years in Secaucus. Its back to Edison in NJ so I will go again this year. Always ends up being on my birthday so thats what I get.

Justin Rapp
01-22-2024, 4:20 PM
Always worth a visit but post covid they are smaller. I went to last years in Secaucus. Its back to Edison in NJ so I will go again this year. Always ends up being on my birthday so thats what I get.

Last year was Edison also :) Secaucus was the one just before covid i thought. That ride sucks from down our way. I am going to try and go on Friday to avoid the small crowd if I can.

Pat Germain
01-22-2024, 5:39 PM
She was bored. Everyone is pretty to someone, so my taste may not be yours or someone elses. So I will refrain from that discussion.

I used to work with a young woman, "Deidra", who was very cute and very bubbly. She really liked talking to me and always asked me to tell her about growing up in the 1970s. I would tell her something and she would say, "No way!". Every year the company had a booth at the local Space Symposium and, not surprisingly, every year they put Deidra in the booth. Years after I left the company, people would tell me they went to the Space Symposium. When I asked how it was, again and again, guys would say, "It was OK, but I met a REALLY cute woman at one of the booths!".

To this I would say, "Let me guess. You met Deidra?"

"Yeah, how did you know?". :) Guys are so predictable.

As for woodworking shows, I attended a few in Virginia many years ago. One thing I found funny was there was always a large crowd around the Shopsmith demo. It was typically a bunch of retired guys looking on and nodding. When I talked with those guys, they all wanted a Shopsmith, but they didn't want to buy one from Shopsmith. They said they were going to wait until some old guy nearby died and his wife listed his Shopsmith for pennies on the dollar. Kinda macabre. I always wondered if this actually worked, but I was never interested in a Shopsmith. Seemed to me those things were great if I was making bird houses, but not much else. To each his own.

Edward Weber
01-22-2024, 6:19 PM
The woodworking show, https://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/, has gone through a lot of changes over the years, owners, venues, vendors, etc. but they haven't crossed the Mississippi in over 10 years.
I enjoyed them back in about 2006-2010, then they started to shrink and then totally disappear from the west coast.

Justin Rapp
01-23-2024, 9:25 AM
I used to work with a young woman, "Deidra", who was very cute and very bubbly. She really liked talking to me and always asked me to tell her about growing up in the 1970s. I would tell her something and she would say, "No way!". Every year the company had a booth at the local Space Symposium and, not surprisingly, every year they put Deidra in the booth. Years after I left the company, people would tell me they went to the Space Symposium. When I asked how it was, again and again, guys would say, "It was OK, but I met a REALLY cute woman at one of the booths!".

To this I would say, "Let me guess. You met Deidra?"

"Yeah, how did you know?". :) Guys are so predictable.

As for woodworking shows, I attended a few in Virginia many years ago. One thing I found funny was there was always a large crowd around the Shopsmith demo. It was typically a bunch of retired guys looking on and nodding. When I talked with those guys, they all wanted a Shopsmith, but they didn't want to buy one from Shopsmith. They said they were going to wait until some old guy nearby died and his wife listed his Shopsmith for pennies on the dollar. Kinda macabre. I always wondered if this actually worked, but I was never interested in a Shopsmith. Seemed to me those things were great if I was making bird houses, but not much else. To each his own.

It is funny but putting someone based on gender into a specific role to deal with the general public is a very old marketing strategy. I used to work as a contractor for a staffing company and they would typically send out a sales person of the opposite gender to meet with a client about staffing positions. The same holds true for many types of shows. For example, i've been to Boat shows at various convention centers or the big on-water ones, and large ones, like the ones at Jacob Javits Center or Annapolishave a lot of young women at the booths or the sign-in areas to 'draw' in the buyers, typically which are men. I don't see this at small shows like the current wood-working shows but maybe the large scale ones which are now in the history books.

Justin Rapp
01-23-2024, 9:42 AM
The woodworking show, https://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/, has gone through a lot of changes over the years, owners, venues, vendors, etc. but they haven't crossed the Mississippi in over 10 years.
I enjoyed them back in about 2006-2010, then they started to shrink and then totally disappear from the west coast.

I have heard this a bunch of times and I don't know how big the shows were or if they were well attended, but the show makes money on attendance, so if attendance was down, there is no business sense to continue holding them. Once you get west of the Mississippi, except in the city areas, you have a large drop in population density and vast areas to travel between shows for the vendors. I could sure understand if they held the shows in the large cities, say Denver, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. If you actually take a look at the demographics of Rockler and Woodcraft stores, they open them in areas that draw in woodworkers. Rockler for example has 54 stores, 13 of them are out West. The other 41 locations are East extended about to more populated areas of Texas.

This is not to say that a show wouldn't do well in more populated cities out west, but it's also encouraging a lot of the vendors to travel. The shows are mostly back to back every weekend, so going on the 'show tour' isn't so bad with many shows between 200 and say 700 miles apart. Out west, maybe not as easy to pack up and go 1000+ miles between shows. This is all my stupid logical thinking but from a business standpoint, it makes sense.

Bill Howatt
01-23-2024, 10:13 AM
Certainly the reason is making it worthwhile from a business standpoint. Another related issue is whether or not there is a stable customer base in WWing - there is a lot of discussion about younger people not getting into the hobby anymore and the older ones have most of what they need or want.

Edward Weber
01-23-2024, 11:26 AM
I have heard this a bunch of times and I don't know how big the shows were or if they were well attended, but the show makes money on attendance, so if attendance was down, there is no business sense to continue holding them. Once you get west of the Mississippi, except in the city areas, you have a large drop in population density and vast areas to travel between shows for the vendors. I could sure understand if they held the shows in the large cities, say Denver, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. If you actually take a look at the demographics of Rockler and Woodcraft stores, they open them in areas that draw in woodworkers. Rockler for example has 54 stores, 13 of them are out West. The other 41 locations are East extended about to more populated areas of Texas.

This is not to say that a show wouldn't do well in more populated cities out west, but it's also encouraging a lot of the vendors to travel. The shows are mostly back to back every weekend, so going on the 'show tour' isn't so bad with many shows between 200 and say 700 miles apart. Out west, maybe not as easy to pack up and go 1000+ miles between shows. This is all my stupid logical thinking but from a business standpoint, it makes sense.

When I first went to the one held in Sacramento, about 04, it filled a large area of the expo center and I can say from trying to get around, it was packed, thousands of people. I can't comment on how the sales were but attendance was high. It slowly dropped off the next couple of years, then changed to a less expensive (smaller) venue, then eventually disappeared all together.

The west coast swing may be a bit further apart between shows but no need to go 1k miles between shows. There are large city's (population centers) and venues to be had.
LA, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas, and Phoenix, to name a few. All with populations in the millions and not that far apart.

There are many factors to consider, not just distance.

Gordon Stump
01-23-2024, 11:53 AM
I used to go. There was a small fee to enter. Then when they moved to the Novi Expo center outside Detroit they also charged for parking. That is when the grouchy old man in me began to flourish . I never went back.

Brian Gumpper
01-23-2024, 1:42 PM
Where else can you take a carbide tipped drill bit and sell it as magic. Cuts through brick, brake rotor, file and still slice a tomato

mike stenson
01-23-2024, 1:44 PM
Where else can you take a carbide tipped drill bit and sell it as magic. Cuts through brick, brake rotor, file and still slice a tomato

White van outside home despot. Just like speakers.

Pat Germain
01-23-2024, 2:08 PM
It is funny but putting someone based on gender into a specific role to deal with the general public is a very old marketing strategy. I used to work as a contractor for a staffing company and they would typically send out a sales person of the opposite gender to meet with a client about staffing positions. The same holds true for many types of shows. For example, i've been to Boat shows at various convention centers or the big on-water ones, and large ones, like the ones at Jacob Javits Center or Annapolishave a lot of young women at the booths or the sign-in areas to 'draw' in the buyers, typically which are men. I don't see this at small shows like the current wood-working shows but maybe the large scale ones which are now in the history books.

Until recently, my son worked for a large distillery. One of his brands was the Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey. The company had a huge marketing campaign for that stuff which included young, female models. My son referred to them as, "The Fireball girls". The company decided to end that marketing campaign. Soon thereafter, Fireball sales plummeted. Coincidence?

Maybe some young, attractive people would improve attendance at the woodworking shows? "Tool Time" had Lisa then Heidi. I bet Johnny Depp could get a lot of women interested in woodworking.

George Yetka
01-23-2024, 2:44 PM

Your right, I misremembered because it didnt go back to the original spot.

Justin Rapp
01-23-2024, 3:57 PM
Until recently, my son worked for a large distillery. One of his brands was the Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey. The company had a huge marketing campaign for that stuff which included young, female models. My son referred to them as, "The Fireball girls". The company decided to end that marketing campaign. Soon thereafter, Fireball sales plummeted. Coincidence?

Maybe some young, attractive people would improve attendance at the woodworking shows? "Tool Time" had Lisa then Heidi. I bet Johnny Depp could get a lot of women interested in woodworking.

Only if Johnny Depp shows up at Captain Jack Sparrow :)

Justin Rapp
01-23-2024, 3:59 PM
Your right, I misremembered because it didnt go back to the original spot.

And a long time ago, it used to be in Somerset!!!!

Bruce Walton
01-24-2024, 12:17 AM

I went a few years ago. It is a very big show. They have machines that are hundreds of thousand dollars down to stuff we by. It was a very good time. Wish it weren't a nine hour drive away.

Patty Hann
01-24-2024, 2:37 AM
Only if Johnny Depp shows up at Captain Jack Sparrow :)
^^^Bingo!!!^^^

Approaching my 7th decade and I'd go! :)

Roman Polishchuk
01-24-2024, 4:47 AM
Eh, I would drive for 2 or 3 hours just for this. But I'm 1000 kilometers away)

Jerome Stanek
01-24-2024, 6:39 AM
There are a lot of venders that will sell discount tickets if you check around

Justin Rapp
01-24-2024, 7:59 AM
I went a few years ago. It is a very big show. They have machines that are hundreds of thousand dollars down to stuff we by. It was a very good time. Wish it weren't a nine hour drive away.

I thought of going and it's about 13 hours drive, maybe a little longer. If not, it's a flight, rental car, hotel, and drives up the cost a lot.

Stan Calow
01-25-2024, 11:22 PM
The woodworking show, https://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/, has gone through a lot of changes over the years, owners, venues, vendors, etc. but they haven't crossed the Mississippi in over 10 years. . .

I see Kansas City, west of the Mississippi, and St Louis, just west of the Mississippi, on the list. Last two times I went (within the last 10 years), 50% of the activity was at Peachtree tables. Anybody know if that's changed?

Justin Rapp
01-26-2024, 8:57 AM
I see Kansas City, west of the Mississippi, and St Louis, just west of the Mississippi, on the list. Last two times I went (within the last 10 years), 50% of the activity was at Peachtree tables. Anybody know if that's changed?

I think the idea of west of the Mississippi is 100's or 1000's of miles, meaning out in the Great Planes states or further like the west coast.

Anyway, to answer your question, Peachtree stopped coming to the shows the year or two prior to Covid temporarily halting the shows. If you look on the show web site, each location has a list of vendors and clubs that are attending the show. Last time I looked at my local show, there wasn't so many vendors but it does look like a lot more are now attending based on the list.

Tim Mailloux
01-26-2024, 4:11 PM
I went to the West Springfield MA show a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty sad. I did pick up a few woodpeckers tools at steep discounts, but other than that it was a bust.

Ronald Blue
01-26-2024, 4:18 PM

It's a pretty safe bet that St Louis isn't going to happen this year. It continues to say TBD and the icon for it isn't clickable for more info. If you haven't locked in a venue by now it isn't going to happen. At least in my opinion. That and $2 will get you a gas station coffee. Also in years past it was held on the Illinois side of the river at the Gateway Center in Collinsville.

Justin Rapp
01-27-2024, 10:48 AM
I went to the West Springfield MA show a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty sad. I did pick up a few woodpeckers tools at steep discounts, but other than that it was a bust.

The entrance fee is shore cheaper than Woodpecker shipping. I have my eyes on some woodpecker tools - we'll see.

Craig Shipman
02-02-2024, 3:34 PM
All very good points, especially the one about your son!

Frank Necaise
02-04-2024, 9:26 PM
It draws a pretty good crowd. It has been a little slower the last 2 years coming out of COVID. Hope it gets better this year. It usually has Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley reps attending. They have had Chris Schwartz and others in the past doing lectures as well.

Justin Rapp
02-04-2024, 9:59 PM
It draws a pretty good crowd. It has been a little slower the last 2 years coming out of COVID. Hope it gets better this year. It usually has Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley reps attending. They have had Chris Schwartz and others in the past doing lectures as well.

The one coming up this weekend in NJ doesn't show Lee Valley in attendance on their vendor list. The one I attended right before COVID, Lee Valley was there but didn't actually have stock to sell, only demos and all orders would be shipped. A bit of a bummer because usually that instant gratification you get bringing home your new tool and using it is the fun part. Waiting a week or more for it to show up was the downside. I actually didn't end up ordering the chisel set, but had they been able to hand it to me, I would have left the show with it.

George Yetka
02-05-2024, 8:31 AM
The entrance fee is shore cheaper than Woodpecker shipping. I have my eyes on some woodpecker tools - we'll see.

Want a $3 pencil that will be $43. About twice a year I add stuff to a cart and then get to checkout and say "Nope". In the long run its better I have more than enough measuring and markout tools.

Justin Rapp
02-05-2024, 11:43 AM
Want a $3 pencil that will be $43. About twice a year I add stuff to a cart and then get to checkout and say "Nope". In the long run its better I have more than enough measuring and markout tools.

I do the same thing on their web site. I usually end up nixing the order in the end also, especially when I see the shipping costs. However I was just curious and put the small parts holder in my cart and went to shipping and it came up with FedEx for 12 bucks. I've had my eye on this for a while and remember it being well over $20 to ship when they had UPS as the primary delivery company. Maybe they finally got the idea to get a contract rate with a shipping carrier. However, given the show is this week, if they have it there i'll grab it with no shipping and in the past, if they didn't have something at the show, they sent to to me with free shipping anyway. We'll see how many $$$$ come out of my pocket at the show this weekend!

Thomas Pender
02-05-2024, 2:02 PM
My recollection of Wood Working shows is exactly that - recollection. I recall getting my wonderful Noden Adjustabench at one show and seeing the various demos (how I got into Ridge 10” blades). but I agree with most comments in the main - they are a bit disappointing and most things go over the internet. I would love to be able to buy Veritas stuff at the shows and it was fun to visit the Peachtree Booth, but things have changed. One function this site serves is that I can ask questions about stuff I see on the internet or in a Woodpeckers email and get opinions, e.g, Rubio Monocoat - my finish of choice now, and years ago being indoctrinated into Target Coatings. Saves gas money and time.

George Yetka
02-05-2024, 3:52 PM
I do the same thing on their web site. I usually end up nixing the order in the end also, especially when I see the shipping costs. However I was just curious and put the small parts holder in my cart and went to shipping and it came up with FedEx for 12 bucks. I've had my eye on this for a while and remember it being well over $20 to ship when they had UPS as the primary delivery company. Maybe they finally got the idea to get a contract rate with a shipping carrier. However, given the show is this week, if they have it there i'll grab it with no shipping and in the past, if they didn't have something at the show, they sent to to me with free shipping anyway. We'll see how many $$$$ come out of my pocket at the show this weekend!

That is nice but I have the Jessem Mitrslide 2 so most of that action is taken care of already. I had a bunch of 3" styles to route the other day so I took 2 pieces of 2x3/4 stock and screwed them together so I can hold piece flat to table and fence. Worked very well

Doug Colombo
02-06-2024, 10:09 AM

We also drove to Columbus from Detroit area. Show was again small - in fact without Woodpeckers and Woodline, it might have been hard to find much to buy. Bring back the show to Detroit !

As we normally do, we also went to Woodwerks and although most everything was 15% off (I actually bought as much there as at the show), this year there were no factory reps there. In fact other than Sawstop, there was very little equipment on the floor. One of the new owners was there and said the internet has changed their business model and people can find what they need to know about equipment on the web vs seeing in person. They still sell all the equipment, but through their web site.

And as always, had to stop at Tony Paco’s in Toledo for a great dinner (Klinger from MASH knew what he was talking about). : )

David Sochar
02-06-2024, 11:23 AM
A friend that did presentations for a major power tool vendor said his personal hell is standing in a booth, listening to a steady parade of codgers that would ask why whatever they looked at was so expensive, then after 20 minutes of bitching, announce they would go home and buy it off the internet.
He would spend a half day Friday setting up the booth, after traveling to wherever. Then be “assaulted” Sat and Sun, then half day Monday tear down and travel. Tues to Thurs were not enough to recover.
I enjoyed the biennial Atlanta shows. They were for professionals, and you could see everything under power. Two days were hardly enough to see the bulk of the show.

Justin Rapp
02-06-2024, 4:22 PM
That is nice but I have the Jessem Mitrslide 2 so most of that action is taken care of already. I had a bunch of 3" styles to route the other day so I took 2 pieces of 2x3/4 stock and screwed them together so I can hold piece flat to table and fence. Worked very well

The Jessem Mitrslide 2 looks great. i wonder if it will work on my woodpecker router table. I have a coping sled and i am not so sure i'd attempt a 3" style. 5 or 6 is the smallest i've done so far with it.

Justin Rapp
02-06-2024, 5:09 PM
We also drove to Columbus from Detroit area. Show was again small - in fact without Woodpeckers and Woodline, it might have been hard to find much to buy. Bring back the show to Detroit !

As we normally do, we also went to Woodwerks and although most everything was 15% off (I actually bought as much there as at the show), this year there were no factory reps there. In fact other than Sawstop, there was very little equipment on the floor. One of the new owners was there and said the internet has changed their business model and people can find what they need to know about equipment on the web vs seeing in person. They still sell all the equipment, but through their web site.

And as always, had to stop at Tony Paco’s in Toledo for a great dinner (Klinger from MASH knew what he was talking about). : )

It's interesting because I like Woodwerks, since it's a mom and pop. I ordered my sawstop and festool stuff from them. But I just looked the other day and their web site is total mess and missing most everything. Hopefully they are redoing it. I have yet to be in the store but it's on my to-go places.

Doug Colombo
02-06-2024, 5:26 PM
It's interesting because I like Woodwerks, since it's a mom and pop. I ordered my sawstop and festool stuff from them. But I just looked the other day and their web site is total mess and missing most everything. Hopefully they are redoing it. I have yet to be in the store but it's on my to-go places.

We also love to stop at Woodwerks when we are in the area. I was supposed this year how much less stock was on the floor. I didn’t know they had new owners either.

Justin Rapp
02-06-2024, 5:29 PM
We also love to stop at Woodwerks when we are in the area. I was supposed this year how much less stock was on the floor. I didn’t know they had new owners either.

I wonder when they were bought out / new owners. Maybe that is why their web page is all messed up, if they are rebuilding it with something new.

Doug Colombo
02-06-2024, 7:47 PM
I wonder when they were bought out / new owners. Maybe that is why their web page is all messed up, if they are rebuilding it with something new.

I looked up one of the owners on LinkedIn and found this post - looks like it was posted 4 months ago

Justin Rapp
02-07-2024, 8:31 AM
I looked up one of the owners on LinkedIn and found this post - looks like it was posted 4 months ago

Doug -

It is interesting though. Todd Damon was only one or the principle (owners??), unless they all left and sold the business. It's possible, however if the store sticks to it's roots and continues to provide the same level of customer satisfaction and service it is fine. I just hope it stays a 'mom and pop'. I also hope they get their web site all fixed up.

From the BBB web site, of course it is outdated already based on the LinkedIn post you found.
Business Management

Mr. Ronald C. Damon, President
Mr. Todd Damon, Vice President
Mr. Charlie Vangas, Director
Ms. Kathleen Vangas, Incorporator
Mr. Michael J Cook, President
Mr. Brian Altiere, Vice President

Contact InformationPrincipal

Customer Contact

jack duren
02-07-2024, 11:20 AM
I’m going to have to look and see what vendors are there.I don’t care about any of the seminars..

Charles P. Wright
02-11-2024, 7:15 AM
I went yesterday and paid for Chuck Bender's joinery fundamentals. A lot of it you can learn by reading the Internet, but there were a few tidbits that made it worth while. The technique he uses for dovetails is different than what I've seen on any of the internet, and definitely made it worth it (this year I'm on a mini-quest to be able to cut a set by hand). I got a selfie with Tommy Mac, but his seminars overlapped the others that I was doing.

The Woodpeckers/Blue Spruce booth was nice to see some of the stuff. The blue spruce 16 oz mallet feels very nice, though I couldn't justify the $109 to myself. It was nice to see the new router table lift and fence; but having the PRLV2 I can't justify an upgrade. I did buy a set of stainless steel squares and avoid shipping on them.

I also got to put my hands on a Shaper origin, which has been on my "wish list" for a while - but I don't have a project that entirely motivates it [they do have some kind of show discount with a QR code]. Felder was there with a jointer/planer and a slider (K3). I've never laid my ahnds on a slider before - though really that is just a curiosity. I have a Sawstop/MM16/FS41e, so really the only big machine that I think I am missing is a spindle shaper, but don't have room for it in my basement unless I reimagine the layout some more.

For me, it was worth the $50 and the 1.5 hour drive to spend the day. I'm not sure if the $14 admission is worth it for the vendors though, and I don' think the drive would have been without some really motivating case instead of just kicking the tires.

Doug Colombo
02-11-2024, 8:54 AM
Doug -

It is interesting though. Todd Damon was only one or the principle (owners??), unless they all left and sold the business. It's possible, however if the store sticks to it's roots and continues to provide the same level of customer satisfaction and service it is fine. I just hope it stays a 'mom and pop'. I also hope they get their web site all fixed up.

From the BBB web site, of course it is outdated already based on the LinkedIn post you found.
Business Management

Ms. Kathleen Vangas, Incorporator
Mr. Michael J Cook, President
Mr. Brian Altiere, Vice President

Contact InformationPrincipal

Customer Contact

Good point ! I wish I had asked the guy more about it. I to hope it stays a ma and pop store.

Justin Rapp
02-11-2024, 9:05 AM
I went yesterday and paid for Chuck Bender's joinery fundamentals. A lot of it you can learn by reading the Internet, but there were a few tidbits that made it worth while. The technique he uses for dovetails is different than what I've seen on any of the internet, and definitely made it worth it (this year I'm on a mini-quest to be able to cut a set by hand). I got a selfie with Tommy Mac, but his seminars overlapped the others that I was doing.

The Woodpeckers/Blue Spruce booth was nice to see some of the stuff. The blue spruce 16 oz mallet feels very nice, though I couldn't justify the $109 to myself. It was nice to see the new router table lift and fence; but having the PRLV2 I can't justify an upgrade. I did buy a set of stainless steel squares and avoid shipping on them.

I also got to put my hands on a Shaper origin, which has been on my "wish list" for a while - but I don't have a project that entirely motivates it [they do have some kind of show discount with a QR code]. Felder was there with a jointer/planer and a slider (K3). I've never laid my ahnds on a slider before - though really that is just a curiosity. I have a Sawstop/MM16/FS41e, so really the only big machine that I think I am missing is a spindle shaper, but don't have room for it in my basement unless I reimagine the layout some more.

For me, it was worth the $50 and the 1.5 hour drive to spend the day. I'm not sure if the $14 admission is worth it for the vendors though, and I don' think the drive would have been without some really motivating case instead of just kicking the tires.

I agree that Woodpecker has a nice set-up, they usually do. I also have the prior-gen router lift, and Kathy from Woodpecker offered me a buy-back so the new lift would cost $200 but I still could not justify it at all. I did buy the rip-flip for my sawstop and also a combo-square to replace my non-woodpecker one. I looked at Bruce Spruce and love their chisels but i don't use chisels enough to replace the lesser quality set that does what I need them to do. The mallet was also really nice.

I talked to Tommy Mac for about 10 minutes or so. I really enjoy his shows on tv and you-tube but my time was limited on Friday so I am planning to go back today for one or two of his seninars. It's only about a 20 minute drive and the ticket is good for re-entry.

I was happy to see felder there and get my hands on the N4400. If i ever replace my bandsaw, that is one of my top choices.

Alan Lightstone
03-05-2024, 7:03 PM
Was getting ready to go to the Woodworking Show in Tampa this weekend. Went on their website. It's been cancelled. On their website, "Do to a lack of exhibitors, education and prior shows underperforming the Tampa Woodworking Show for 2024 has been canceled."

It looks like all the shows going forward this year (and perhaps forever) have been cancelled.

Justin Rapp
03-06-2024, 4:09 PM
Was getting ready to go to the Woodworking Show in Tampa this weekend. Went on their website. It's been cancelled. On their website, "Do to a lack of exhibitors, education and prior shows underperforming the Tampa Woodworking Show for 2024 has been canceled."

It looks like all the shows going forward this year (and perhaps forever) have been cancelled.

It is the same with Kansans City and Nashville, cancelled. It's a double edge sword really. If the people don't come out, vendors won't come out. They lose money to people just browsing as well. If nobody buys the vendor loses money and won't come back. If the show declines year after year, it will eventually fail all together. And maybe the show is at this point. Like already mentioned, the internet is hurting the show because it's just so easy to get whatever you need now, you don't have to wait for a show. And the education is almost he same year after year. This year there was only a few changes to the education, and most people who are long-time attendees have seen them all, or at least all they wanted to see. It is pretty crappy because I really like the show, and always support the vendors I like with some purchases.

But it's not just the woodworking show that is declined. I went to the pet expo this past weekend (we are looking to adopt a new dog). The pet expo was in the same location as the woodworking show, and it was also much smaller than it was years back. In the past there were tons of rescue groups there, with adoptable dogs, and great vendors. There was hardly any rescue groups there and very few adoptable dogs being showcased. The vendors were way down from years past as well.

What bugs me out the most about these shows is the venue and/or show manager allows out-of-place vendors. Why are there home improvement vendors (roofs, windows, doors, bathroom ,kitchens, etc) or grocery vendors trying to fill your freezer with meats, at a wood working or pet expo show. Go to an industry trade show, like IWF in Atlanta - I don't think I'd find a vendor trying to sell me a a roof or new siding for my house. When the show management allows there to be out-of-place vendors, all they care about is filling up the space, but it just takes away from the entire experience for the attendees.