View Full Version : Add riving knife to craftsman professional saw

Brian Runau
01-02-2023, 10:31 PM
Looking to add a riving knife. Adding something in the slot the blade guard sits in doesn't feel like a riving knife, more like a splitter. Any way to do this? Thanks brian

Dave Sabo
01-02-2023, 10:38 PM
Looking to add a riving knife. Adding something in the slot the blade guard sits in doesn't feel like a riving knife, more like a splitter. Any way to do this? Thanks brian

Splitter , yes. Riving knife, no. It’d have to have been designed for one from the outset.

Bill Dufour
01-02-2023, 11:10 PM
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?133210-Delta-34-350-12-14-quot-riving-knife-retrofit

John Kananis
01-02-2023, 11:26 PM
That's pretty amazing...I wonder what ever happened to Sean. I can't imagine this not taking off like a rocket with even minimal effort in getting the word out.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?133210-Delta-34-350-12-14-quot-riving-knife-retrofit

Brian Runau
01-03-2023, 7:56 AM

Nice work, but beyond what I am willing to do. He'll I've used it 15+ years as is....Brian

Jim Becker
01-03-2023, 9:21 AM
Yea, this is a real engineering challenge and it's nearly impossible to do a true riving knife on most older saws.

Dave Sabo
01-03-2023, 9:43 AM
Nice work, but beyond what I am willing to do. He'll I've used it 15+ years as is....Brian

I don’t think that’s doable on a contractor type saw like the zip codes.

Tom Bussey
01-03-2023, 10:32 AM
I know this is off the subject. But why not look into the Micro Jig splitter? I know a riving knife goes up with the blade and down but in reality it is still a splitter. I used a micro jig splitter on my general 350 table saw for years. It pulls on and off easily and there is no lifting the throat plate and messing around. 10 seconds it is on or off. If it is not fast and easy it will not jet used. And it is a cheap solution to the problem. I really like Leecraft table saw throat plates. Much more solid than home made or other aftermarket plated. Don't expand or retract and takes down ward pressure very well. A Leecraft throat plate, a Micro jig splitter and you have a zero clearance inset that will last 3-5 years before the slot will get a little to wide.

Just a note, because of age I don't move as well as I did in my younger years so I sold the general and bought a Saw Stop. Now I have a riving knife but if I didn't I would buy another from Micro jig.

John Kananis
01-03-2023, 1:10 PM
I bought the microjig splitter along with some phenolic material a couple years ago but haven't gotten around to making new throat plates yet (the mdf versions are still in decent condition) but maybe it's time. For a splitter, I use a (small) steel plate that attaches where the original guard did.

Curt Harms
01-03-2023, 2:39 PM

Have you contacted Shark Guard? There was a guy that was selling a close copy of a riving knife that attached to Unisaws and their clones where the blade raised and lowered in an arc. He died a few years ago and I don't know what happened to the product/idea. Here's Shark Guard's address:

https://www.thesharkguard.com/product/riving-knives-and-splitters/

Dave Sabo
01-03-2023, 3:41 PM
Have you contacted Shark Guard? There was a guy that was selling a close copy of a riving knife that attached to Unisaws and their clones where the blade raised and lowered in an arc. He died a few years ago and I don't know what happened to the product/idea. Here's Shark Guard's address:

https://www.thesharkguard.com/product/riving-knives-and-splitters/

1. Orig. owner did die, his son took over the operation and it is still going.

2. The Shark Guard is a blade guard that adapts to your particular saw, it is not a magic product to give you a riving knife.

Meaning, if your saw has a riving knife already, the SG will attach to that mount. If you have a fixed splitter ala a Delta Contractor's saw, the SG attaches to that mounting point. It does not convert or re-engineer anything.

3. So, if you have a new Unisaw (l352) then you have a riving knife and a Shark Guard will attach to it. If , on the other hand, you have one of the millions of orig. Unisaws with the tilt handle on the side of the cabinet - your saw has a splitter that Shark Guard makes a model to fit also. But it won't give you a riving knife.

I suppose you could do one up like in Bill D's link, but that doesn't seem practical for most people and I suspect it'd be more expensive unless you're retired and have your own machine shop and skill to use it. Even then I still contend it's not practical.

Jim Morgan
01-03-2023, 3:53 PM
1. Orig. owner did die, his son took over the operation and it is still going.

2. The Shark Guard is a blade guard that adapts to your particular saw, it is not a magic product to give you a riving knife.

Meaning, if your saw has a riving knife already, the SG will attach to that mount. If you have a fixed splitter ala a Delta Contractor's saw, the SG attaches to that mounting point. It does not convert or re-engineer anything.

3. So, if you have a new Unisaw (l352) then you have a riving knife and a Shark Guard will attach to it. If , on the other hand, you have one of the millions of orig. Unisaws with the tilt handle on the side of the cabinet - your saw has a splitter that Shark Guard makes a model to fit also. But it won't give you a riving knife.

I suppose you could do one up like in Bill D's link, but that doesn't seem practical for most people and I suspect it'd be more expensive unless you're retired and have your own machine shop and skill to use it. Even then I still contend it's not practical.

The Shark Guard is indeed a blade guard, but the company Shark Guard makes splitters/riving knives for older saws. Their "ARK" riving knife is manually adjustable for blade height, so in between traditional splitters and modern riving knives.

Dave Sabo
01-03-2023, 9:29 PM
Yes they produce riving knives and splitters - to fit and/or replace whatever you currently have. They'll also work with you to design something for your saw if it's not already in their catalog. But, If you have a saw with a splitter, no product they make will magically turn it into a riving knife.

PERIOD, end of story.

Floyd Mah
01-03-2023, 9:40 PM
If you will check the third post in this thread, the ninth reply to that thread from 2010 was mine. I had implemented a riving knife for a delta contractor saw. There's a link to that. I made it completely from hardware store parts, but you need to have some skills with metal. No welding involved. I had to adjust it recently, but it still works well after 13 years. It is based on the bolt that holds the blade guard/anti-kickback mechanism to the rear of the trunion.