PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out Bessey parallel clamps

Tony Wilkins
01-02-2023, 4:43 PM
They have the K series, Vario K, and Jr series in their parallel clamps. What is the difference? Are the extra features worth it?

Bonus: do you find parallel clamps worth the premium over I-beam clamps?

Izzy Camire
01-02-2023, 8:02 PM
Tony,
I have some K series clamps and I think they are very good. The jaws close perfectly parallel. I recently bought some 12" Jr clamps they are smaller than the K series and have smaller jaws and less clamping force. They look like they will be good for clamps up smaller work pieces. I also have some I-beams they clamp with great force but the jaws are pretty small. I feel the K series are the everyday use clamps.
Izzy

Frederick Skelly
01-02-2023, 9:37 PM
Bonus: do you find parallel clamps worth the premium over I-beam clamps?

I have both. Each kind has its uses. If I could only buy one type, I'd start with buying the Dubuques. YMMV.

Ben Ellenberger
01-02-2023, 10:06 PM
I use the Dubuques and am really happy with them. They are very light I’ve never found myself wishing I had larger clamp faces.

I do keep a handful of F-style clamps for reaching into the middle of a piece, but the Dubuques get used the majority of the time.

Rafael Herrera
01-02-2023, 10:56 PM
If by I-beam clamps you mean those that are assembled with steel pipes, they can get very heavy and difficult to maneuver single handedly.

I prefer deep throated F clamps since you can control where the point of pressure is located.

Parallel clamps seem optimized for flat board laminations and not much more. For laminations I like the Dubuque clamps.