View Full Version : General 26020 VFD wiring support needed.

Mike Helt
01-02-2023, 4:41 PM
I'm hoping to find someone who owns the same lathe and can help me wire mine.
I bought it used and the motor had been removed.
It has the Square D, Altivar 28, VFD.
It has a dial that controls forward/reverse as well as speed.
I has an on/off switch.
It has a 230v, 3 phase, 2 hp motor.

Thanks

Kevin Jenness
01-02-2023, 5:24 PM
Do you have the vfd manual? http://docs.eao.hawaii.edu/UKIRT/mech/workstation/02_altivar_28/altivar28_user_guide.pdf

If you are not using a remote control box (it is useful to mount the vfd in a safe dustproof location and put the controls where you want them in a magnetic box) hook up the incoming single phase power to the line terminals on the vfd and run a 4 conductor cable to the motor. Do not put a switch between vfd and motor. My vfd is mounted in the headstock pedestal.

Bill Dufour
01-02-2023, 6:24 PM
Motor should have three power wires( probably all black) and a green ground wire. No worries, hook the power wires up any which way to the three vfd power out terminals. green to a ground somewhere inside the vfd.
If the motor runs in the wrong direction either switch two power wires or program the vfd to take care of rotation.
Bill D

Mike Helt
01-04-2023, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the input.
I'm still hoping someone chimes in with an identical setup. The General 26020 was equipped at the factory with a VFD as well as the variable speed forward and reverse.
For the time being I have more to do for restoration so I can leave the wiring 'till later.
Thanks again and Happy New Year

Kevin Jenness
01-04-2023, 11:05 AM
There is a thread on the AAW forum that should answer your question, or at least you can contact the original poster who has the same lathe and vfd. Search the site for "General 26020 vd wiring" (sic). If all you need to do is connect a new motor to the vfd then Bill's description will suffice.

Mike Helt
01-06-2023, 9:45 AM
Thanks Kevin

Mike Helt
02-23-2023, 10:42 AM
As a follow-up I did find someone named Bill but he was on the Canadian Woodworking site.
Here is a link with some useful information he shared that may be of interest to someone else in the future.
https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/woodworking/turning/1382734-general-26020-vfd-wiring-questions
Found the link by searching for 'Bill' in various woodworking sites.
Thanks again Kevin!