PDA

View Full Version : dust collection hose and fitting woes

Dennis Jarchow
01-02-2023, 3:03 PM
The business of hooking up different brands of tools to vacs or dust collectors sucks. I am sure this will be the 672nd post on this topic but hopefully you will indulge me. I just bought a Festool sander and wanted to hook it to my Ridgid shop vac. I have the orange Ridgid 1 1/4" car cleaning hose for which I have screw on adapters for my dewalt, bosch, and Porter Cable sanders, Dewalt plunge router, Hitachi miter saw etc. All of them fit fine on the Ridgid hose.

I ordered the Cen-Tec hose adapter kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084D9B8MR/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

as it has adapters that will work with my Festool sander as well as my other tools and I didn't want to buy another hose. It says it is for 1 1/4" hose but the threaded piece is too small by maybe 1/8" to thread on the Ridgid hose. Is there a range of diameters of 1 1/4" hoses. Is this an issue of metric hoses that are all slightly different diameters but if you convert to inches and round, they are close to 1.25" but not exact?

Thanks!

Richard Coers
01-02-2023, 3:08 PM
1 1/4" is 31.75mm. Maybe you are working wth 30mm hose?

Patrick Varley
01-02-2023, 4:08 PM
The business of hooking up different brands of tools to vacs or dust collectors sucks. I am sure this will be the 672nd post on this topic but hopefully you will indulge me. I just bought a Festool sander and wanted to hook it to my Ridgid shop vac. I have the orange Ridgid 1 1/4" car cleaning hose for which I have screw on adapters for my dewalt, bosch, and Porter Cable sanders, Dewalt plunge router, Hitachi miter saw etc. All of them fit fine on the Ridgid hose.

I ordered the Cen-Tec hose adapter kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084D9B8MR/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

as it has adapters that will work with my Festool sander as well as my other tools and I didn't want to buy another hose. It says it is for 1 1/4" hose but the threaded piece is too small by maybe 1/8" to thread on the Ridgid hose. Is there a range of diameters of 1 1/4" hoses. Is this an issue of metric hoses that are all slightly different diameters but if you convert to inches and round, they are close to 1.25" but not exact?

Thanks!

It's actually a 32mm hose.

https://www.centecsystems.com/varioflex-crushproof-hose-vc-silver-1-25-inch-32mm/

I use these Quick-Clik adapters and like them quit a bit. My suggestion is to just buy a short piece of hose for the $12 and then cut a piece (e.g. 1 foot) to make a pigtail of sorts, with both ends having the CenTec click rings (you may need to buy an extra). One end will click into the tool connections, and the other can click into an adapter which is on a fitting for the end of the Rigid hose. That's how I've got mine setup so I can use it with an existing piece of Festool hose I have. I then detach the pigtail and can attach a longer extension when I need it.

Dennis Jarchow
01-02-2023, 5:06 PM
1 1/4" is 31.75mm. Maybe you are working wth 30mm hose?

Richard, Patrick,

Thanks for the replies. I measured the OD of my Ridgid hose and the ID of the Cen-Tex adapter and my Dewalt and Ridgid adapter.

Ridgid hose 40.8mm OD
Cen-tec threaded adapter 40.3 mm ID
Ridgid threaded adapter 41.6 mm ID
Dewalt sander adapter 41.8 MM ID

The Cen-tec is smaller than the Ridgid hose and clearly smaller than the Dewalt and Ridgid threaded adapters although all are listed as fitting 1.25" hose. The one thing I can't measure if is the thread spacing of the cen-tec adapter compared to the rib on the hose. That might be contributing to it not threading on as well.

Patrick Varley
01-02-2023, 5:21 PM
You might call centec and see what they say. Based out of Indiana, and I had to call for info recently and they were pretty helpful. I think the problem is that the standard is for the ID of the hose, but a lot of variability in the OD/threading as you say.

Steve Eure
01-02-2023, 6:53 PM
I too use a Ridgid vac, and before that a Shop Vac. Love the Ridgid, but ran into the same problem that everyone has. I ended up buying the Rockler hose adapters and their hose. They have different sizes that I find will fit ost everything, even my Festool tools. They now offer a newer version that the adapter stays on the tool and the hose now as a click type fitting. Makes it easier to leave he adapter on the tool and just unclick and click to next tool without changing the adapter each time.
https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-click-connect-upgrade-kit-with-flexiport-power-tool-hose-kit-3-to-12-expandable

Justin Rapp
01-02-2023, 11:09 PM
I have a ridgid adapter for the Ridgid 'car vac' hose that works with my Milwaukee sanders, the dust port on a kreg pocket hole tool and a few various routers. However somehow my festool hose also fits my Milwaukee sanders, but the Ridgid adapter doesn't quite fit the festool sander. The company that figures out a way to force a standard will make a forture.

Jim Becker
01-03-2023, 9:20 AM
Rockler just released some new products that both adapt small hand-held electrics with various size ports to their hose, but also a "click to attach the hose" design that looks pretty handy. They support multiple sizes of dust ports which can be helpful as there's no real standardization for small hand-helds, outside of within a brand like Fiestool and Mirka, for example.

Andrew More
01-03-2023, 10:42 AM
For friction fits that are loose a bit of tape does wonders.

Dennis Jarchow
01-03-2023, 10:52 AM
Jim, thanks. I saw that but it also requires a different hose. I was hoping to not have to buy yet another hose which is why the Cen-tec adapters seemed like a good idea. Too bad they don't fit my ridgid orange hose (I think you have the same hose)

Dennis Jarchow
01-03-2023, 5:46 PM
Well Cen-Tec gets a big thumbs up on customer support. I emailed them about the problem I am having, and they are mailing me one of their hoses for free!

Jim Becker
01-03-2023, 7:27 PM
Jim, thanks. I saw that but it also requires a different hose. I was hoping to not have to buy yet another hose which is why the Cen-tec adapters seemed like a good idea. Too bad they don't fit my ridgid orange hose (I think you have the same hose)

I do have the orange hose on the Ridgid shop vac I use for general shop cleanup.

'Glad you found a solution and that Cen-tec was kind to you!

glenn bradley
01-03-2023, 7:44 PM
The business of hooking up different brands of tools to vacs or dust collectors sucks. I am sure this will be the 672nd post on this topic but hopefully you will indulge me.

Actually the 42,672nd post on this but we will still indulge you :). Talk about a good reason to standardize on a platform. Most of my routers are Milwaukee . . . 1 adapter. Most of my sanders are Bosch . . . same adapter. A few odds and ends . . . 2 more adapters. You get the idea.

I have learned with hand held power tools that a bit of tape or an o-ring can work miracles. If you use hand held power tools every day in the shop I would standardize on a platform and reap the benefits of that. Why do you think Festool users use a Festool router that rates fairly low in the bake-offs? The benefit of a standardized platform serves these folks well . . . especially the pros or the job-site people. If I did job-site work I would buy all Festool, or Milwaukee, or whatever, and move on.

For those of us in the home shop there are known combinations. Maybe we should start a thread of compatible items(?). My Bosch stuff use this (https://www.amazon.com/BOSCH-RS006-Adapter-Various-Sanders/dp/B0009H5L5I/ref=asc_df_B0009H5L5I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310828259700&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12563759637453886535&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031489&hvtargid=pla-493686315818&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=65583250281&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=310828259700&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12563759637453886535&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031489&hvtargid=pla-493686315818), which hooks to a standard 1-1/4" vac. My Milwaukee's use their standard diameter, which accepts a Rockler setup (https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-click-connect-upgrade-kit-with-flexiport-power-tool-hose-kit-3-to-12-expandable). Anything else gets a tape job :D.

I understand the frustration but, our cries for vengeance will go unheeded. Find your compatible items and hold them dear :D:D:D

Patrick Varley
01-04-2023, 1:24 PM
Well Cen-Tec gets a big thumbs up on customer support. I emailed them about the problem I am having, and they are mailing me one of their hoses for free!

Wow, that is great customer service. Definitely above and beyond what you might expect. Glad my experience wasn't a one off. Their range of fittings (and ability to buy single pieces) with reasonable prices has kept me coming back.

Ron Selzer
01-04-2023, 8:39 PM
Lee Valley Winter Catalog came today
Universal Vacuum Adapter 03J61.09
Search - Lee Valley Tools (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/search#q=03j61.09&t=product-search-tab&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=25)
Strongly thinking I want one, I have all the adaptors needed for what I have now. However, I have been known to buy a tool I really need bad (want, lust after, etc. No intended need at that time) and it might have a different size port on it. Ya that's the ticket, better get one of these on order now, might sell out quickly. :)
Ron

Jay Aubuchon
01-04-2023, 8:55 PM
Lee Valley Winter Catalog came today
Universal Vacuum Adapter 03J61.09
Search - Lee Valley Tools (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/search#q=03j61.09&t=product-search-tab&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=25)

Ron

I saw that too! If you get one, I’d be very interested in your impression.

Ron Selzer
01-04-2023, 9:18 PM
I saw that too! If you get one, I’d be very interested in your impression.

Just ordered it, the price tripled. Tomorrow is our anniversary, and it was going to be 7.95 for shipping or spend 20.10 more for free shipping. I introduced SWMBO to Lee Valley . com, good thing I love ravioli as she ordered a ravioli maker.
Taking her out to Buca di Peppo's tomorrow for lunch. Got free shipping and will have homemade Ravioli soon.
Ron

Jay Aubuchon
01-05-2023, 9:28 PM
Tomorrow is our anniversary, and it was going to be 7.95 for shipping or spend 20.10 more for free shipping. I introduced SWMBO to Lee Valley . com, good thing I love ravioli as she ordered a ravioli maker.

... Got free shipping and will have homemade Ravioli soon.

You can wheel and deal with the best!