PDA

View Full Version : Why are jaws numbered?

Scott Goldthwaite
01-02-2023, 10:18 AM
I was looking at the jaws on my SuperNOVA chuck and I noticed all 4 looked identical. The Jaws are numbered and I've always matched the number to the jaw slide number. I understand why the slides are numbered, but why are the jaws numbered since they seem to be the same. I even put them on in the "wrong" order and it looked fine.

--Scott

John K Jordan
01-02-2023, 11:38 AM
I was looking at the jaws on my SuperNOVA chuck and I noticed all 4 looked identical. The Jaws are numbered and I've always matched the number to the jaw slide number. I understand why the slides are numbered, but why are the jaws numbered since they seem to be the same. I even put them on in the "wrong" order and it looked fine.
--Scott

Scott,

I have about 20 of those chucks, SN, SN2, Titan, and a couple of the smaller G3s and lots of jaw sets. I hate to change jaws so I usually keep the same jaws on a chuck for years, swapping out the chuck rather than the jaws.

While the four jaws in a set may look identical they may not be - sometimes it’s quite obvious but sometimes not so much. The way they make them (or at least the way the used to) is machine a chunk of steel round, machine the holes for the screws, then cut the circle into four quadrants with a saw. On some of the jaws you can see the saw marks, some are smoother. If you put them on the chuck in order, 1-4 clockwise if I remember correctly, the set will be properly aligned even if the sawing is not perfect. Get them out of order and on SOME jaw sets the misalignment is obvious and the jaws may not close all the way. Note that they may make them differently now - I haven’t bought new jaw sets for years.

BTW, I read that Teknatool recently said there was no need to match jaw #1 with slide #1, just start on any slide and fasten them all in order. For the best alignment be sure, of course, to tighten the screws as described in the manual.

JKJ

Scott Goldthwaite
01-02-2023, 11:44 AM
Scott,

I have about 20 of those chucks, SN, SN2, Titan, and a couple of the smaller G3s and lots of jaw sets. I hate to change jaws so I usually keep the same jaws on a chuck for years, swapping out the chuck rather than the jaws.

While the four jaws in a set may look identical they may not be - sometimes it’s quite obvious but sometimes not so much. The way they make them (or at least the way the used to) is machine a chunk of steel round, machine the holes for the screws, then cut the circle into four quadrants with a saw. On some of the jaws you can see the saw marks, some are smoother. If you put them on the chuck in order, 1-4 clockwise if I remember correctly, the set will be properly aligned even if the sawing is not perfect. Get them out of order and on SOME jaw sets the misalignment is obvious and the jaws may not close all the way. Note that they may make them differently now - I haven’t bought new jaw sets for years.

BTW, I read that Teknatool recently said there was no need to match jaw #1 with slide #1, just start on any slide and fasten them all in order. For the best alignment be sure, of course, to tighten the screws as described in the manual.

JKJ

Wow, that's a lot of chucks! Thanks for the explanation.

Neil Strong
01-02-2023, 5:31 PM
Scott,

JKJ

This is the [Like Button], which I would press if this forum software had it, for your detailed response.

PS, there I was thinking that my dozen chucks was an extravagance!

roger wiegand
01-02-2023, 6:52 PM
Maybe I'll stop feeling so guilty about wanting to order #4!

Robert Hayward
01-02-2023, 7:12 PM
PS, there I was thinking that my dozen chucks was an extravagance!
Same here, but I have only eleven.

Neil Strong
01-02-2023, 7:59 PM
Maybe I'll stop feeling so guilty about wanting to order #4!

This is the [Like Button], which I would press if this forum software had it.

Neil Strong
01-02-2023, 7:59 PM
Same here, but I have only eleven.

This is the [Like Button], which I would press if this forum software had it...:)

Reed Gray
01-03-2023, 12:12 PM
I do have one Easy Chuck, and the jaws for it are not numbered. I would guess that in 'theory' it should not make any difference, but some times it does.

robo hippy

John Keeton
01-03-2023, 12:38 PM
Some of you may not have noticed, but JKJ owns multiples of most tools that come up in discussion. However, I am quite confident he doesn’t have a tool addiction!!!!;-)

Neil Strong
01-03-2023, 4:52 PM
Some of you may not have noticed, but JKJ owns multiples of most tools that come up in discussion. However, I am quite confident he doesn’t have a tool addiction!!!!;-)

......... :)

John K Jordan
01-03-2023, 5:45 PM

Hey, I resent, er, resemble that remark. No addiction here! I offer as proof: at last count I had less than 45 Thompson tools in the shop. Any spares are in case of emergencies of course. (I used to have more but I gave some to students suffering from abject tool poverty. They had such sad eyes…) JKJ

Reed Gray
01-04-2023, 11:17 AM
I do not have a tool addiction! It is strictly for 'research'!

robo hippy

Neil Strong
01-04-2023, 4:52 PM
Hey, I resent, er, resemble that remark. No addiction here! I offer as proof: at last count I had less than 45 Thompson tools in the shop. Any spares are in case of emergencies of course. (I used to have more but I gave some to students suffering from abject tool poverty. They had such sad eyes…) JKJ

This is the [Likes Button], which I would press if this forum software had it... :)

Neil Strong
01-04-2023, 4:52 PM
I do not have a tool addiction! It is strictly for 'research'!

robo hippy

This is the [Like Button], which I would press if this forum software had it... :)

Tony Rozendaal
01-06-2023, 10:57 PM
FWIW, My Oneway Stronghold Chuck Jaws are not numbered, and the one with the pin that limits travel can be installed in one of two locations, one limits travel more than the other.