PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 9 1/2 Lever Cap Question

Joel Janzen
01-01-2023, 6:51 PM
Hello Guys,
I am fairly new to working with hand tools but have recently restored a Stanley #4 and #5 that were "hand me downs" from my father. I picked up a Stanley 9 1/2 at a garage sale recently that was in really good shape. I believe it to be a Type 15 which I understand is a relatively new one. Once I got it I set it aside for a few months and recently decided to get it cleaned up and sharpened. It was then that I noticed the "lever" from the lever cap was missing. I am assuming that the lever broke at one time and someone just drilled out the rivet. Question is.....can just the lever be replaced or do I need to replace the entire lever cap? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Happy New Year!

Joel

Tom M King
01-01-2023, 7:56 PM
I think the hard part would be finding the lever. In the meantime, you can use it by judicious tightening of the screw. It needs to be tight enough to keep anything from moving during use, but not so tight that you can't adjust the blade projection. That screw tension is critical anyway, even with a lever.

Chuck Hill
01-01-2023, 9:18 PM
Ask Michael Jenks in this FB group, he should have what you need:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690633051116716/

steven c newman
01-02-2023, 10:33 AM
Eric at Vintage Tools?

I can look through my box of spare parts...and see IF there is one...then just need an address to send it to...if you like?

Joel Janzen
01-02-2023, 2:56 PM
Steven,
Thanks for the generous offer......my mailing address is:

Joel Janzen
168 S. Humboldt St.
Denver, CO 80209

If you don't find one, please let me know so I can pursue Vintage Tools or Michael Jenks. Thanks.

Joel Janzen
01-02-2023, 3:16 PM
Steven,
If you want to email me directly, you can send to: JJ@3DxDenver.com

I can also then send you a pic of the Stanley 9 1/2 if you need it.

Joel

steven c newman
01-02-2023, 5:37 PM
Of the 3 cap iron I had in the spares....all were missing that lever...sorry.

Tom M King
01-02-2023, 7:11 PM
That lever mostly just makes it easy to get the iron out for sharpening. It will work fine without it since the screw tension is critical anyway. Once you get the screw tension just right, note where the slot on the screw head is, and it shouldn't be too hard to find it. It will just require a screwdriver to take the iron out for sharpening. Even with a screwdriver, the correct tension is not that tight.