PDA

View Full Version : Help with resawing 10BF of 5/4 lumber - Knoxville, TN

Neil Shepherd
12-31-2022, 1:06 PM
I have about 10BF of 5/4 lumber for a small garden tote for the wife that I need resawn in half. I originally thought I could do it on my table saw but the wood ended up pinching my blade to a stop. Are there any local Knoxville, TN woodworkers willing to help me with the resawing? The largest piece is about 7.5" by 17.5" in wormy maple and coffee tree.

My email is 'shepardneil7@gmail.com
Any help is appreciated.

Ron Citerone
12-31-2022, 4:24 PM
How high was the blade? I have resawn wood with a low power table saw by cutting it in multiple passes, flipping end to end with the same face against the fence. .. You need a good straight face to run against the fence.

My second concern is the moisture in the wood. If is not real dry it could cause problems.

A 10' saw will only cut 3" high which if done from both sides leaves 1 1/2" in the center of a 7 1/2" board. You could finish it on band saw.

Neil Shepherd
12-31-2022, 5:01 PM
I set the blade to max height to make the pass, based on the YouTube videos. The lumber is pretty dry and has been in my shop acclimating. I am guessing there is some stresses inside the test piece I did causing the binding.

You think if I do it in small 1" passes all around and then raise to 2", and then max it will work?

Mike Henderson
12-31-2022, 5:13 PM
If it's pinching the blade that much, the pieces will not be straight and true once you finish resawing them..

Mike

Bradley Gray
12-31-2022, 5:32 PM
multiple passes is the way to go. I also have a splitter installed beyond the blade in the wood insert. I don't rip without it.

Also, flip the board end for end.

John Kananis
12-31-2022, 5:41 PM
You also generally want to resaw into 3 planks, not 2 or you'll get much more movement in the stock than you'd like.

Ron Citerone
12-31-2022, 6:35 PM
I set the blade to max height to make the pass, based on the YouTube videos. The lumber is pretty dry and has been in my shop acclimating. I am guessing there is some stresses inside the test piece I did causing the binding.

You think if I do it in small 1" passes all around and then raise to 2", and then max it will work?

I would do 3/4" blade raising at a time. If you have a dedicated rip blade I would use that. Combo blade is ok if you don't have a rip blade.

Al Weber
01-02-2023, 10:09 AM
Neil,
Try to contact the East TN Woodworkers Guild who meet at a makers space in Knoxville. They have a website (ETWG). I'm sure someone there can help you.

John K Jordan
01-02-2023, 12:46 PM
Neil,
Try to contact the East TN Woodworkers Guild who meet at a makers space in Knoxville. They have a website (ETWG). I'm sure someone there can help you.

I was going to mention the same thing, or the Tellico Village woodworkers club (https://www.tvwoodworkers.com/).

The Knoxville woodturners club may also be a good resource if needed (https://www.smwts.org/web/) Many members have bandsaws and some use them for flatwood work as well as turning.

Or you might call Jeffries Woodworks (https://www.jeffrieswoodworks.com/). I know they mill a lot of stuff they sell but maybe they will resaw too or could suggest a customer who would, don't know. They are closed on Mondays.

I could do it on my bandsaw except as I use the larger saw mostly to process turning blanks I don't care if the cut is pretty rough so I don't currently have a decent resaw blade!

JKJ