PDA

View Full Version : 1st time veneer buyer

Bill Ledoux
01-26-2006, 8:52 PM
Hi folks, I have a question. I just received an order of veneer via UPS tonight. The four packages of multiple sheets each are taped together with masking tape on all four edges. I attempted to open one of the packages and ended up partially ruining one of the sheets. Is it standard practice to package veneers like this? How do I remove the tape without breaking off pieces and deal with the gummy tape residue? The veneers are beautiful (all burls) yet I'm frustrated with the packaging. I'm calling customer service tomorrow with this concern. Any ideas?

Lee DeRaud
01-26-2006, 9:04 PM
That's how they sell it at Rockler, but I never had any problem getting the tape off though. If the residue is really gummy, it sounds like the tape got overheated at some point in storage/shipping.

Paul Canaris
01-27-2006, 7:26 AM
You should be able to soften the glue in the tape using a solvent. Try mineral spirits to start with. The tape should come off easily then.

Gary Kittleson
01-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Bill,

I've been considering a purchase also....let me know how your first application goes, and what you did right/wrong! Thanks

Gary

Earl Kelly
01-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Bill,
Just so you know, Burls should be placed between two pieces of cardboard and then taped. No tape is directly to the veneer this way.

As was stated above MS should remove the tape and residue. Fortunately only the top and bottom sheet have the tape on them. You might want to cut the tape at the edge with a sharp knife, so you only have to work on the top and bottom sheets, and don't get the mess on the rest of the stack.

Charlie Plesums
01-27-2006, 12:05 PM
You should be able to soften the glue in the tape using a solvent. Try mineral spirits to start with. The tape should come off easily then.
I find naptha far better solvent for "sticky" tapes and labels. It is used for lighter fluid and some charcoal lighter, and dries without the slight oily residue you sometimes get from mineral spirits.

Bill Ledoux
01-28-2006, 9:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies!