PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a vertical air compressor

Randy Gazda
12-28-2022, 2:56 PM
I bought a used Quincy air compressor and laid it horizonal to transport. It leaked a much of oil overnight before I unloaded it. I then Googled transport and realized I screwed up.

So I let it sit for 24 hours and refilled the oil reservoir. How would I know if I did damaged the compressor?

Alex Zeller
12-28-2022, 3:41 PM
I would just try to turn it over by hand. With the power off/ unplugged remove the guard and turn the pulley by hand. Unlike a car engine an air compressor just moves air. So if oil got above the piston rings it'll just get pushed into the air tank. I doubt you did any damage.

Bill Dufour
12-28-2022, 5:55 PM
Make sure the intake and outlet air filters are not clogged with oil. The pump itself is fine. If it is a piston pump turn it over by hand to make sure it is not hydrolocked. It may spit oil out when first run. I would disconnect any good hoses and run it 5-10 minutes blowing the oily air outside into a old blanket.
Bill D

Randy Gazda
12-28-2022, 7:39 PM
Thanks, turned over, I had some pressure in the tank from testing before buying. So I opened the drain valve and it spit out some oily gunk. Seems to run fine. I am not sure where or if there are air intake filters?

Jim Becker
12-28-2022, 7:48 PM
There is usually one or more air intake filters in the vicinity of the cylinders. There's one on my IR that's capped with a metal shield to protect it. It looks kinda like a short, round "muffler" on a small engine. Which reminds me...I really need to get a replacement filter for mine after all these years. :D

Ronald Blue
12-30-2022, 9:36 AM
Quincy compressors are mid to high end compressors. Definitely well made and parts are available. They used to be made 35 mile from me in Quincy Illinois. We used them on all of our locomotive cranes. These were all large stand alone compressor only units drive by belts off the generator. Always was cool when first started because of the whumpf whumpf as it was pumping as the engine came to life. I think they were around 70 cfm. Everything you were advised is correct and as long as it turned over by hand okay then the oil will work itself out. It should give you years of reliable service. Drain the tank frequently to keep condensation from being an issue and rusting the tank out.