PDA

View Full Version : Foam Sheet For Under Rails?

Derek Arita
12-28-2022, 2:29 PM
I intention was to use sheet foam under my Festool rails for cuts. I went to HD and asked if they had any sheet foam and the guy said no. What exactly should I be looking for?

Rob Sack
12-28-2022, 2:47 PM
Rigid foam insulation. You also might try a commercial sheet foam distributor. I need a large quantity of "styrofoam" type material in various thicknesses and in 4 x 8 sheets. I found a source that carried a full line and it was considerably less expensive than actual rigid foam insulation.

Keegan Shields
12-28-2022, 4:05 PM
I use this stuff. Lasts for years/many projects.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-150-1-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-5-Scored-Square-Edge-Rigid-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-20WE/207179253

Jim Becker
12-28-2022, 7:50 PM
Home Depot and Lowes both carry rigid insulation in their insulation isles. In the Orange store, it's pink foam. In the Blue store, it's green foam. I'm sure that places like Menards and other more localize home centers have their flavor of foam insulation for sale, too. :) It's not inexpensive for a 4x8 sheet, but it will last a very long time for supporting sheet goods, either on the floor or on a wood grid on top of sawhorses.

Richard Coers
12-28-2022, 9:19 PM
I intention was to use sheet foam under my Festool rails for cuts. I went to HD and asked if they had any sheet foam and the guy said no. What exactly should I be looking for?
I thought you meant the anti-skid material under the guide. I guess the HD guy that the same.

Rod Wolfy
12-29-2022, 3:46 PM
I use this stuff. Lasts for years/many projects.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-150-1-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-5-Scored-Square-Edge-Rigid-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-20WE/207179253

I've been using the 2" version of this for about 8 years under my Festool's track. I keep it in my plywood stack in my garage.

When I bring a sheet home from the store, I throw up a couple of saw horses in the driveway & put the rigid foam on top to set the sheet on. They're in the insulation section at HD.