PDA

View Full Version : Replacing lathe belt

Dan Gaylin
12-28-2022, 10:35 AM
I recently replaced the belt on my Nova Comet 2 lathe. The original belt had little ridges on one side that we perpendicular to the belt. Those went on the outside with the smooth side of the belt contacting the pulleys. The replacement belt is the right size but is not the original Teknatool (Nova) part. It has grooves that go the entire length of the belt in the direction of the belt. They seem to correspond well to the grooves on the pulley. So the question is which way should I install the belt: smooth side contacting the pulleys or grooved side contacting the pulleys.

thanks!

-dan

Tim Elett
12-28-2022, 10:54 AM
Any serpinteen belt I have seen had the groves face the pully and smooth side on idle pully, new belt should be as wide as your pullys

Wally Crawford
12-28-2022, 9:30 PM
If your pulleys have grooves or ribs, the ribbed side of the belt should mate with the ribbed pulleys.

Dan Gaylin
12-29-2022, 8:47 AM
Tim, Walley — thanks! The belt is definitely the correct width and the correct length. And the grooves do indeed mate well with the grooves in the pulleys — and that is how I installed it, and it is working well. So appears that all is good here. Thanks for the info.