PDA

View Full Version : treating this rust

brad hays
12-28-2022, 12:18 AM
Just bought a nice little 6x10 covered trailer and it's got more rust on it than I'd like to see, but I think it's treatable. I could do some sand blasting on it if that's what's needed. Open to your advice about getting the rust off and coating with some kind of protectant. I like the look of the original metal so I'm hoping I can get away with just blasting. The trailer was made in 2002 so it's taken a while to grow the rust. I probably won't have the trailer more than a few years so I'm not wanting to fix this rust to last a lifetime or anything.

Thanks ahead.

Jim Becker
12-28-2022, 9:05 AM
That looks to be surface rust...you can abrade anything loose and just encapsulated with appropriate rust stopping finish.

John K Jordan
12-28-2022, 10:02 AM
Evaporust should remove it, wire brush on an angle grinder if needed but prob won’t be with that. When it gets warmer I’m going to do the same with my horse trailer, followed by primer and maybe epoxy paint.

Bill Dufour
12-28-2022, 11:39 AM
Evaporust should remove it, wire brush on an angle grinder if needed but prob won’t be with that. When it gets warmer I’m going to do the same with my horse trailer, followed by primer and maybe epoxy paint.
To soak a trailer I would use EDTA since name brand evaporust is so expensive. Maybe put it on a tarp and use a small pond pump to keep it flooded with misters.
Any chemical treatment will take longer in winter.
Bill D.

Ken Combs
12-28-2022, 11:48 AM
I would sand it as much as possible. Treat with Ospho. I use a spray bottle to apply rub with a red abrasive pad. Wipe off excess. Let dry overnight and paint with your choice. I prefer epoxy primer then most any top coat is OK. Just depends on budget and expected life. Auto 2k urethane to Rustoleum. But they all get a hardener additive.

John K Jordan
12-28-2022, 12:56 PM
To soak a trailer I would use EDTA since name brand evaporust is so expensive. Maybe put it on a tarp and use a small pond pump to keep it flooded with misters.
Any chemical treatment will take longer in winter.
Bill D.

When i search for EDTA on Amazon I get a bunch of vitamins. Could make for healthy trailer joints, maybe.

I pay less for gor a gallon of EvapoRust than the best price I can find for Ospho.
https://smile.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Original-contains-non-toxic-biodegradable/dp/B00M0TLQ66

I soak small parts, otherwise apply repeatedly with a brush.

Ken Combs
12-28-2022, 5:11 PM
When i search for EDTA on Amazon I get a bunch of vitamins. Could make for healthy trailer joints, maybe.

I pay less for gor a gallon of EvapoRust than the best price I can find for Ospho.
https://smile.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Original-contains-non-toxic-biodegradable/dp/B00M0TLQ66

I soak small parts, otherwise apply repeatedly with a brush.

Wow, I just looked online at Ospho. Last bottle I bought in July was 15 bucks at the local hardware. Even at the 30 or so I see online it's not bad. A quart will do an entire car/truck with leftovers.

My experience with EvapoRust indicates that to remove the rust on a big item would take many gallons. Others may have better processes than I though.

Of course, it is a remover while Ospho functions as a remover of light stuff and converting the surface of thicker rust after mechanical removal.

Edit: I just checked local price, it's still only 15 for a qt and 32 for a gallon. online shipping almost doubles that at some sellers.

Mel Fulks
12-28-2022, 5:38 PM
I haven’t used Ospho in a long time ,but it always worked well . I think the directions said to clean the object before applying the Ospho, and
some jobs might have to treated several times. The Civil War battlefield collectors used it on iron shells and such.

Bill Dufour
12-28-2022, 5:47 PM
Checked ebaby EDTA is about $35 for three pounds for non food grade. I would guess evaporust is one pound of edta or less per gallon.
Bill D

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetrasodium-EDTA-Bulk-Water-Softener-Chelating-Agent-Sequester-Metal-Ions-5-Lbs/950772393?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_31e0q0XNcxyLWOKxvCW%3ANVnAUkAzTmW9RRC WUY0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_150372&clickid=31e0q0XNcxyLWOKxvCW%3ANVnAUkAzTmW9RRCWUY0&sharedid=&affiliates_ad_id=568823&campaign_id=9383

Kev Williams
12-28-2022, 6:24 PM
Myself, I love phosphoric acid-- 'Metal Prep' in the paint section at Home Depot, ~$20 a gallon...

brad hays
01-02-2023, 3:46 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the sound advice guys.