PDA

View Full Version : clear finish for decks?

John Daugherty
01-26-2006, 8:15 PM
I have just finished installing decking on my front porch. The decking is cypress. I’ve included a couple of pictures. The grain and variation in color looks really good. I know that cypress like most wood will gray with time. I however would like to keep the natural look and maybe highlight the grain patterns. I have been looking at clear finishes for decks. Does anyone have any recommendations for a clear finish? I have been looking at Cabot clear solutions.

Bob Noles
01-26-2006, 9:44 PM
John,

Just a little south of you and I use Thompson's water seal on our deck. Put a new surface on 3 years ago and still looks as new today as the day we put it down.... well, close anyhow ;)

Easy to put on and just reapply about once per year.

Keel McDonald
01-27-2006, 6:56 AM
Don't know much about the finish, but the deck sure looks great. I noticed you haven't sided your house yet. Cypress sure would look good, if you're made of money. LOL

Joe Pelonio
01-27-2006, 8:38 AM
Beautiful deck, I wouldn't think there would be any cypress available at any price around here.

I had good luck with TWP on my cedar deck, lasted two years in the NW wet weather before I had to redo it. It was $25/gallon at a better lumber yard specializing in cedar. Before that on a deck at a previous house I used to use CWF but in the late '80s they changed the formula due to
environmental issues and it wasn't the same after that.

Brad Schmid
01-27-2006, 4:07 PM
John,

You might check out Penofin (with UV blocker). Good stuff, but not cheap. My dad has had it on his ~1000 sq ft Ipe deck in Northwestern PA for 10 years now (with 1 or maybe 2 re-applications) and it hasn't changed color at all from new. http://www.penofin.com/