PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Center Pics

Dan Oliphant
01-26-2006, 7:43 PM
This unit was made using white oak from an entertainment center I made for my daughter many years ago. The old unit would not fit well into her present housing, so she asked me to retool it. So my solution was to cut the old unit to pieces and redesign.
The new unit is as mentioned white oak with a urethane clear satin finish (for durability against kids) the knobs are ceramic with a floral pattern.

Vaughn McMillan
01-26-2006, 8:56 PM
Nice job, Dan. It'd be neat to see "before and after" pics, to see the extent of the revisions. The current design should work well into the future as your daughter gets the (inevitably) larger TV down the road.

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
01-26-2006, 9:25 PM
Very nice work, Dan. Thanks for sharing it!

Dick Parr
01-26-2006, 9:27 PM
Great looking ETC Dan.:) I love oak, red or white.:rolleyes:

Rick de Roque
01-26-2006, 9:57 PM
great redesign. Love the color. rick

Frank Eppler
01-27-2006, 7:38 AM
Dan.
That looks just great. Any pics of what it looked like before? The use of urethane finish is a must for the kids. The problem with building a Entertainment Center these days is the increasing sizes of the TVs. The two I now have are maxed out with 27". Anything bigger and it's back to the workshop.:D

Frank
:)

Karl Laustrup
01-27-2006, 8:46 AM
Great job Dan, especially being able to rework an existing unit. :)

Karl

Dan Oliphant
01-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the comments. No pictures of the previous unit, (pre digital period) it was a cubic design, 6 feet by 6 feet by 24 inches deep. No back, no doors. Lots of open storage. The unit was OK for a single person, but after having triplets six months ago, they needed something quite different. A larger TV is probably the last thing on their list considering the demands of triplets.

Eddie Watkins
01-27-2006, 10:50 AM
After having tripletts they definitely need something different.:) Nice job.

Jason Tuinstra
01-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I think "retooling" would be harder than just building new. So good for you. It turned out great.