PDA

View Full Version : Veneer rework for audio equipment?

Andre Gonzalez
12-26-2022, 11:20 AM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and please forgive me if this is not the right place to post this. I need help with a veneer on an old turn table and have struggled to find someone to redo it.

I have considered trying to do it myself. I have some carpentry experience, but this seems like there is a significant learning curve to do it well.

I have tried looking in the Friends of the creek section, but no luck.

Can anyone recommend someone that can redo veneers on an uncommon turntable plinth?

Thanks for the help!

Larry Alles
12-26-2022, 11:58 AM
Could you send a picture to me and I will take a look. I have done veneering on many speakers and receivers.

Andre Gonzalez
12-26-2022, 12:14 PM
Could you send a picture to me and I will take a look. I have done veneering on many speakers and receivers.

Sure thing!

Dave Sabo
12-26-2022, 2:29 PM
That looks like about the easiest veneer project one could tackle. Everything is flat and has square edges - the only mildly tricky part is cutting out the holes.

You shouldn't have much trouble doing it with modest skills.

How about putting your location in your profile ? No sense recommending someone to you in Seattle if you live in Miami.

John TenEyck
12-26-2022, 3:21 PM
What am I missing? I don't see any serious damage to the veneer. I'd clean it first and reassess. At the most it might need stripping, some careful sanding, and a new finish.

John

Andre Gonzalez
12-26-2022, 5:14 PM
That looks like about the easiest veneer project one could tackle. Everything is flat and has square edges - the only mildly tricky part is cutting out the holes.

You shouldn't have much trouble doing it with modest skills.

How about putting your location in your profile ? No sense recommending someone to you in Seattle if you live in Miami.

Thanks! I really would hate to mess it up. There is not a veneering 101 YouTube that seems helpful. If you know a good resource I'll take it. I am open to some guidance.

You were not too far off! I am in the suburbs of Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Andre Gonzalez
12-26-2022, 5:17 PM
What am I missing? I don't see any serious damage to the veneer. I'd clean it first and reassess. At the most it might need stripping, some careful sanding, and a new finish.

John

No serious damage at all. Looking to change the finish to a different wood.