PDA

View Full Version : LN #1 plane blade markings

John Kananis
12-25-2022, 7:39 PM
So my wife gifted me a lie-nielsen #1 for Christmas. I know, I'm beside myself - its sitting on the credenza on my office desk with a light shining on it lol.

The plane came with an extra blade but neither of the blades have the LN stamp (as my other ln plane irons do). Does anyone know if these blades didn't come stamped?

Edit: another question: the chip-breaker looks like a standard Stanley chip breaker, not the thick ln style. It's that right? On the ln site it looks like the thicker one but this one is not.

Edit 2: my wife says it's a mid-80's model

Edit 3: I didn't think to post this in Neanderthal Haven...

Derek Cohen
12-25-2022, 8:32 PM
Hi John

The “mid-80” comment is relevant. The early LN blades were unsigned. Generally, these were W1 (water hardening) steel before a change to O1. I am not sure at which stage the blades were signed. I have a few early, unsigned blades.

Regards from Perth

Derek

John Kananis
12-25-2022, 8:35 PM
Thank you for the quick reply, Derek. How about the chip breaker? Did that change at some point to the thicker breakers (from a standard Stanley type breaker) or were they always the same.

Frank Martin
12-25-2022, 9:04 PM
Yes, LN made chipbreakers that looked like the Stanley versions. Thicker versions are relatively new, may be in the last 10-15 years.
Enjoy your new plane!

John Kananis
12-25-2022, 9:34 PM
Thanks Frank, appreciate the input. I think my oldest (the #1 aside) is from about 2004 and has the "newer" chip breaker.

Richard Coers
12-25-2022, 10:50 PM
No marks on my LN #1 except for the information cast in the body. I suspect I bought it pre 1995.

Jim Koepke
12-26-2022, 12:26 PM
I know, I'm beside myself - its sitting on the credenza on my office desk with a light shining on it lol.

John, I hope this is a home office or a very secure office. These small jewels can be an overwhelming temptation to some.

My LN #1 is in my shop but is nestled behind a Stanley #2. The #1 comes in handy for smaller planing tasks:

It is pleasing to have the tool fit the job.

jtk