PDA

View Full Version : Our latest deck...

Kelly C. Hanna
01-26-2006, 7:33 PM
We just finished the first deck of the year..hopefully there will be many more in the near future. We're moving towards specializing in decks, pergolas and fences. The cabinet market is littered with competition...I find it's harder and harder to attract the quality minded clientele (my shop isn't the type to do the big projects anyway). So now we are advertising more for this type project.

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/Decks31.html (http://www.hannawoodworks.com/Decks31.html)

Corey Hallagan
01-26-2006, 7:38 PM
Nice work Kelly, great looking deck!

Corey

Michael Ballent
01-26-2006, 7:46 PM
That looks great... but if you do not consider a deck as big project then I would be scared to think what is a big project in your book ;)

Richard Wolf
01-26-2006, 7:47 PM
Nice idea on the railings.

Richard

Tom Drake
01-27-2006, 7:09 AM
Great looking deck! Nice design.

Frank Eppler
01-27-2006, 7:13 AM
Kelly.
Deck looks great. A lot of different ideas from what we see around my neck of the woods.
Frank
:)

Jim O'Dell
01-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Looks great, Kelly! Hadn't heard from you here in a few weeks. Glad to see that it's because you've been busy. I bet drilling the holes for the pipe rails to line up was fun!! The pipe has a blue-ish cast to it, is it aluminum? Jim.

Brian Clevenger
01-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Kelly,

I was just browsing around at work and wasn't even going to log in.....but I had to tell you that the deck looks outstanding. Good job as always. I understand what you mean about the custom cabinet jobs. Besides, who wants to be stuck in the shop all day when you can be outside enjoying Texas. :)

Tyler Howell
01-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Kelly,
That copper should take on an awesome patina. I may steal that idea:rolleyes:
Have you made any provision to stifffen up the piping? I can just see a some rotten kid going right over and climbing on it:( .

Cecil Arnold
01-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Nice deck Kelly. I would also like to know the answer to Tyler's question, since I raided a rotten kid who would do just that, just to see how strong it was.

Steve Clardy
01-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Looks great Kelly!!

Kelly C. Hanna
01-27-2006, 2:28 PM
Jim...I have been super busy with prepping the new pool room for the party last weekend, so I haven't been online a whole lot. The pipe is copper.

Brian, I would love to be stuck in my little shop all day...:D. That said I really do enjoy building the decks.

Tyler, thanks and steal away. I have never stiffened any copper or aluminum balusters that we've installed. I talk to each owner before installing them to make sure they know to tell any visiting young-uns not to climb or mess around with them (none of the clients have any kids that have spec'd these railings). As far as the industry is concerned this is not a problem and none of the approved materials are stiffened...course some nimrod will probably do it and sue the homeowners and the deckbuilder and then we're all gonna haveta rethink the metal rails (and pay more for them).

PS...thanks for everyone's comments, we all appreciate it!

Bob Noles
01-27-2006, 2:37 PM
Kelly,

I do like the deck and especially the rails.

Nice job and thanks for showing it to us.

Jack Diemer
01-27-2006, 3:10 PM
Looks great.......Is there access to all that under deck storage??

Joe Chritz
01-27-2006, 4:52 PM
Sometimes you have to break stuff to see how tough it really is. Cecil I think I was one of those and look at me I turned out just gr.. well nevermind. :D

I like the copper and would be interested in hearing ideas on stiffining them up. Maybe a wood dowel insert of some kind. Some copper fittings could be used for design. Not by me of course you really don't want to see my solder sweat job here. (at least they don't leak)

Nice job

Joe

Michael Stafford
01-27-2006, 6:02 PM
Kelly, your deck work is always great and this is no exception. Love the design and execution.:D

One question for you. Around here when dew forms on the deck pressure treated woods can get slippery as all heck. I noticed that on one set of stair treads you ran wood perpendicular to the normal way treads would be. It seems to me that this orientation might make slippery slopes even more treacherous as you would be slipping with the grain instead of across it. What do you think? Am I making an incorrect assumption? PT does get slippery around here....:(

Corey Hallagan
01-27-2006, 9:22 PM
Kelly, how is that new Delta tablesaw working out, like it?

corey

Howard Barlow
01-27-2006, 9:39 PM
Great work, Kelly.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Michael,

I've never run across that problem here. I do know that when PT gets really wet it is slippery, but I have never noticed a difference in the grain orientation.

Corey,

I sure do love that TS. I like it just as much as the Griz I had believe it or not. The blades spins down faster and the motor sounds a ton healthier. To be perfectly honest I wasn't all that impressed with the Griz products I bought and I doubt I'll get any others.

The Delta is as smooth as they come and Brian took very good care of this one. The blade elevation wheel is the smoothest and easiest I have ever touched. With the new base and DC hookups, the dust collection is great. All I will need in the future is an overhead guard/DC hookup and I am set!

Brad Noble
01-28-2006, 10:59 AM
I have used spray in foam insulation inside pipe tp strengthen it. There is no real stiffness to foam but it does allow the outside walls to become united in their resistance somewhat. Of course, I wasn't filling a pipe that long either. JAT,

Brad