PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-745

Steve Nix
12-25-2022, 4:04 PM
Looking for comments on quality and worth of a Delta 46-745. One of our club members is interested in buying this lathe and I’m no familiar with it 492253
thanks for you input.

Ricc Havens
12-26-2022, 10:28 AM
never had one but I looked at one years ago and passed on it due to budget reasons. But now I would be concerned about replacement parts as Delta has had issues with that in the past on other lathes. But, other may have more first hand experience on that model than I do. I know VFD controllers can be bought aftermarket using other brands. Same with things like shaft bearings. But, check for galling and damage in the headstock morse taper and the tailstock morse taper. Even if they are good I would check availability of things like headstock shaft, tailstock quill (both the threaded screw portion and the morse taper portion that would holds your revolving live center)

I have a PM3520B that's less than 10yrs old and the tailstock quill was back ordered for many months. So that's why I suggest checking for parts even if the lathe is priced well for you.

David Walser
12-26-2022, 10:39 AM
It's a nice lathe. My concern in buying one would be that at one time Delta no longer supported it. Delta went through a period when it was unable to supply replacement parts. With new ownership and management, there was a promise to start supporting older Delta branded tools. Whether or not this particular lathe is supported would be my concern. If Delta does support the lathe, or if I felt comfortable with my own ability to find (and adapt) parts when needed from other sources, I would be willing to buy the lathe for a fair price. I'd have no qualms with the lathe itself. It was one of the first 'modern' lathes -- electronic variable speed, sliding headstock, 0 - 3,200 RPM speed range, etc. It could be a good buy -- provided you can keep it running.