PDA

View Full Version : where to put antifreeze in bandsaw?

Ernie Loposser
12-24-2022, 10:49 AM
joking....somewhat

Maurice Mcmurry
12-24-2022, 11:00 AM
We recently got the WoodMizer back from a loan to the neighbors. No need to put RV antifreeze in the blade lube tank this winter, they have it full of diesel. It is an old WoodMizer that ejects right on the operator. That had to be nasty.

Bill Dufour
12-24-2022, 11:03 AM
In the coolant tank, where else? Only if using water based coolant. If using cutting oil no need. The drop in stock heaters will not protect the plumbing and valves. They will freeze first even if the tank is heated. Ounce you add the antifreeze make sure to run the pump to circulate the good stuff through all the plumbing and valves.
Be careful what type of antifreeze you use green Etehlyne glycol is poisonous in small amounts. I doubt breathing in a mist of it is healthy.
Bill D

Lawrence Duckworth
12-24-2022, 11:54 AM
In the coolant tank, where else? Only if using water based coolant. If using cutting oil no need. The drop in stock heaters will not protect the plumbing and valves. They will freeze first even if the tank is heated. Ounce you add the antifreeze make sure to run the pump to circulate the good stuff through all the plumbing and valves.
Be careful what type of antifreeze you use green Etehlyne glycol is poisonous in small amounts. I doubt breathing in a mist of it is healthy.
Bill D

What the heck kind of bandsaw are you guys using? I just used some scrap kindling and started a small fire, layed a couple pallets up against the saw and figured to go back down and check on it here in bit.....

Ernie Loposser
12-24-2022, 12:39 PM
I was actually humoring myself...looking at my old delta 14inch while it is close to 0 degrees here in the shop. It didnt come to mind that actually adding antifreeze to a "bandsaw" is actually applicable here for some of you guys...stay warm

Bruce Wrenn
12-24-2022, 4:33 PM
Go down to local ABC store, and purchase your favorite brand of "sipping whiskey." Take a sip, and think about your poor cold band saw. The alcohol in the sipping whiskey won't do much for your BS, but it will lift your spirits. Forgot to turn up heat in shop last night, and it down to 45 degrees. Back up to 57 degrees now. Merry Christmas!

John Lanciani
12-24-2022, 5:17 PM
But can you use it in the rain?;)

Bill Dufour
12-24-2022, 5:58 PM
But can you use it in the rain?;)
Seen pictures of the giant chain bandsaw used to section ships underwater for scrapping? Similar, larger to the cable in quarry rock slabbing saws.
Bill D

Video in action at the three minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvPAoWrG8Oo

Maurice Mcmurry
12-24-2022, 6:50 PM
Rain or shine above water or under!
Thats one big band saw. I watched a very similar YouTube a while back. Its long, showing the big saw at 7:10 minutes in

https://youtu.be/0ENOJBLVgjw

Myk Rian
12-24-2022, 11:08 PM
I was actually humoring myself...looking at my old delta 14inch while it is close to 0 degrees here in the shop. It didnt come to mind that actually adding antifreeze to a "bandsaw" is actually applicable here for some of you guys...stay warm
I keep my Delta 14" at a nice 50 deg. I don't want my baby to freeze.

Lisa Starr
12-25-2022, 7:43 AM
66 degrees for all by babies...old little Atlas bandsaw included.

Rich Engelhardt
12-25-2022, 10:11 AM
where to put antifreeze in bandsaw?In the operator....
I suggest something Rye based for this time of year.
Also, it's best to wait until the bandsaw has come to a complete rest and is put away. (less chance of,,,,spillage...)

John K Jordan
12-25-2022, 10:18 AM
We recently got the WoodMizer back from a loan to the neighbors. No need to put RV antifreeze in the blade lube tank this winter, they have it full of diesel. It is an old WoodMizer that ejects right on the operator. That had to be nasty.

My WoodMizer has a plastic gravity-fed 5-gal tank for lubricant. I use water. In the winter I take the tank inside or add antifreeze. If I don't, the water in the tank will freeze and ruin the tank.

My horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw has a recirculating coolant tank. The lube I use doesn't need antifreeze.

JKJ