PDA

View Full Version : Hammer A3-31 planer snipe

Karl Leboeuf
12-20-2022, 10:45 PM
I recently purchased a Hammer A3-31, and with its factory settings I am getting some snipe on both ends of boards; about 0.004" deep on the end of the board that enters the machine, and a little less on the outfeed. The retailer I purchased it from sent me some short instructions for adjusting feed roller height and spring tension and so far I haven't had any luck. I was hoping some here might have some advice for me while I keep working with the retailer to see what can be done. I saw many posts on this forum from people that were able to tune up the machine to get no snipe and I'm hoping I can do the same! In case it matters, my A3-31 has the 'Silent Power' segmented cutter head.

Before I started making adjustments I did carefully clean the planer surface, applied a few coats of GlideCote, and some coats of paste wax. I tried locking the table to see if that would make a difference and it doesn't seem to have much impact. I have used some ~3' lengths of clear pine and soft maple to make test cuts on edges and faces. I did notice that the soft maple seemed to have less snipe than the pine, but it definitely isn't "no snipe".

I read and re-read a thread from 2019 about this issue (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?271424-Hammer-A3-31-Help-me-eliminate-snipe) and have tried to make the adjustments described there but haven't had any luck so far. Specifically, I tried increasing and decreasing the rollers' spring tension and haven't noticed much difference.

I also followed the procedure described in two YouTube videos posted by Felder to address this topic. The first one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcMntAKZyqw @ 2:20) addresses infeed snipe, and shows a process for setting the infeed roller height to 0.9mm or 3/100" below the cutting circle. The second one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-_21RcvKt0) is similar, except that it shows how to deal with outfeed snipe by setting the outfeed roller height to 0.3mm or 1/100" below the cutting circle. In both cases these measurements are briefly flashed on the screen at 2:20 into the video. After adjusting the roller heights on my machine to match these settings I tried increasing and decreasing spring tension again and I didn't get the result I was after. In some cases I could reduce the snipe to 0.002" for one of my test boards but it seemed to get worse for the others. I didn't keep careful notes of everything I tried, which I now regret...

Do any current or former A3-31 owners have any ideas? Would anyone care to measure how far below the 'cutting circle' their infeed and outfeed rollers are? Do I seem to be missing something obvious? I appreciate any insight anyone can offer. I gave up on it tonight when the bag of my dust collector got full and I started running out of scraps to sacrifice for the luxury of zero snipe. If I can finish some errands early tomorrow I'll pick out some boards, empty the dust collector, and get back to it.

Karl

George Yetka
12-21-2022, 6:30 AM
Try lubricating the planer bed. I had issue and before I got into adjusting I discovered the drive rollers were making it look like I had a snipe issue.

Felders Metalglanz is what I use. (wierdest spray bottle, Its like it has mechanical advantage. Sprays 5x harder than others)
https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/shop/our-range-of-products-sc1682982/metallglanz-metal-shine-sp125531

Jamie Buxton
12-21-2022, 11:00 AM
Technique....If you just feed the board into the planer, and let go when the machine grabs the board, that may lead to snipe. Instead, keep lifting up on the end of the board until you're sure the planer's outfeed roller is on the board. Do the same at the outfeed: lift upi. I have an A3-31, and it does give zero outfeed.

Nick Lazz
12-21-2022, 11:30 AM
I occasionally get snipe also, both tips above help reduce it. Keeping the bed slick is key. In my experience with this machine, it also is an indicator my blades need replacing.

Jeff Roltgen
12-21-2022, 12:48 PM
Sorry, not familiar enough with the machine to know if it has bed rollers or not. If so, they need to be dropped to level with the bed. This eliminated snipe on my SCM Nova s520.
Since it wasn't mentioned yet, assuming no rollers on your machine, but thought I'd mention, just in case.

jeff

Greg Quenneville
12-21-2022, 5:05 PM
No bed rollers on those machines. I don’t think that any Felder has bed rollers.