PDA

View Full Version : Media stand - Cherry, Curly Koa, Curly Maple

David Falkner
12-19-2022, 2:41 PM
I mostly stay in the musical instruments and CNC forums but thought I'd share this project here.

This is a project I began about a year ago and recently completed so I figured a video was in order. Gotta' warn you this is a long video but it includes almost every step of the build process, including mistakes, midstream modifications, design changes, etc. Since the video is so long I have attached a few photos of the completed stand. Enjoy!
If you're inclined to watch the video I highly recommend watching it on a computer or streamed to a TV rather than watching on your phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA75JbCZV9o

Paul F Franklin
12-19-2022, 9:04 PM
It's beautiful David! Love the fake book "support", that's a very clever detail.

David Falkner
12-19-2022, 9:08 PM
Thanks, Paul! That little afterthought turned out to be my favorite part. :)

John Ziebron
12-19-2022, 11:06 PM
Very nice design and the use of contrasting woods. Matching speaker stands next?

David Falkner
12-20-2022, 9:11 AM
Very nice design and the use of contrasting woods. Matching speaker stands next?
Thank you, John! Yes, as I mentioned in the video that's the next project. Well, after I make new shutters for the house and build a bucket garden (according to my wife this morning - :D).

David Falkner
12-20-2022, 10:16 PM
Ok, for grins we played the YouTube video of this build on the TV that is on the media stand! :D

George Yetka
12-21-2022, 6:59 AM
Very nice work

David Falkner
12-21-2022, 10:09 AM
Very nice work

Thanks, George! It was a fun build, for sure.

Maurice Mcmurry
12-21-2022, 5:24 PM
It is so pretty I would not be looking at the TV!

David Falkner
12-21-2022, 8:31 PM
It is so pretty I would not be looking at the TV!
Thanks, Maurice! I confess to looking at it each time I'm in the room simply because it was a year-long build and the wood is so gorgeous. :)

David Stone (CT)
12-21-2022, 10:29 PM
Nice work. And I watched and enjoyed your video. Years and years ago, Fine Woodworking had an article on veneering by using an iron to heat PVA glue. I thought at the time, what an interesting technique, but never got around to trying it. Inspired by your example and tutorial in your video, I think I will.

David Falkner
12-21-2022, 10:58 PM
Nice work. And I watched and enjoyed your video. Years and years ago, Fine Woodworking had an article on veneering by using an iron to heat PVA glue. I thought at the time, what an interesting technique, but never got around to trying it. Inspired by your example and tutorial in your video, I think I will.
Thanks, David! Glad you liked the video, too. And you'll love the veneering technique; I've used it for years and it's always been a good method for me.